75192 - Millennium Falcon Rating  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above average
    • Average
    • Below average
    • Poor

Great review of an awesome set! Kudos to building it in 17 hours! It took me about 20. One minor correction - the side circles are airlocks, not the escape pods. The escape pods are in the rear of the ship (that’s why the escape pod hatches are in the engineering compartment).

6 hours ago, jhoya said:

Great review of an awesome set! Kudos to building it in 17 hours! It took me about 20. One minor correction - the side circles are airlocks, not the escape pods. The escape pods are in the rear of the ship (that’s why the escape pod hatches are in the engineering compartment).

Thanks.

Ahhh it's great to hear another view on the escape pods. I was really in doubt whether the sides were the escape pods. Some images online showed that these were escape pods. Other images stated that the pods are in the cargo bay. The cargo bay seemed more logical, since the hatches are placed there. But I couldn't come to a final conclusion. 

Stuff like this floating around the net:

falcon.jpg

And this:

falcon-essential-guide.jpg

So the sides are access hatches, which actually makes sense.

8 hours ago, rener said:

Hi Jim, 

Thanks for this incredible review, which is a joy to read and to watch. The interactiveness contributes much to the reading pleasure, bringing some diversion to a very (very) longread! Which a very (very) big set like this obviously deserves...

Since my wife will probably veto me getting hold of this one, it's easy for me to decide what to sell to get it anyway...

Thanks. I'm sure your wife will understand.....being sold and all...

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Ahhh it's great to hear another view on the escape pods. I was really in doubt whether the sides were the escape pods. Some images online showed that these were escape pods. Other images stated that the pods are in the cargo bay. The cargo bay seemed more logical, since the hatches are placed there. But I couldn't come to a final conclusion. 

The first image is from an earlier source material from the 80s. Here is an article detailing the history of the changes of where the escape pods are. Once Lucasfilm started taking other materials more seriously and worrying about canon vs non-canon, the escape pods have been in the rear.

http://livingwithstarwars.blogspot.com/2013/01/where-are-millennium-falcon-escape-pods.html?m=1

Haynes’ Owner’s Workshop Manual (a great pod and nice companion to the Falcon) has great information on the escape pods.

Edited by jhoya
Edit: fixed typo.

Interesting! :thumbup:

There's those 5 escape Pods.  They also labeled the starboard side as a "docking ring" and the port side as having an "airlock"

That's an amazing review you've done!! Thank you for all the effort especially with the construction and all the pictures.
I really love the model! Although I do not like the stickers for the hallways that much, the combination of the detailing of the interior and exterior is thrilling me!!

Here's my small moc of the space slug. Only had a view spare bricks left.

37996763871_15a65be647_b.jpgIMG-20171028-WA0002 by Markus, auf Flickr

Thanks for such a thorough review, it looks amazing and insanely detailed, unfortunately it is well out of my budget.

Also I made a space slug

37980720242_cd9e8272bd.jpg

Wow, great review! One day I'll build one myself. :)

And here’s my crappy version of the "big mouth frog" space slug, with my few spare pieces.

It also features the probably smaller (and uglier) Millennium Falcon ever! :D

Sorry for bad quality, only 102 kb allowed.

Crap Slug.jpg

Edited by Lock

On 22-10-2017 at 7:35 PM, Jim said:

Most likely, there will be a new Taj Mahal in the near future and I will have made a fool of myself with this comment, but let's wait and see how long it will hold.

So there will indeed be a new Taj Mahal. Admittedly, I already heard some rumors about a new one, but I didn't know it was a re-release. Lucky for me the re-release only has 5923 pieces....pfew.

11 minutes ago, Jim said:

So there will indeed be a new Taj Mahal. Admittedly, I already heard some rumors about a new one, but I didn't know it was a re-release. Lucky for me the re-release only has 5923 pieces....pfew.

There’s a new tai mahal coming out?

Just now, Shadow_brick said:

There’s a new tai mahal coming out?

Well, a re-release. I have created a topic for it.

Fantastic review Jim, as always. I kinda got over the set already, decided to keep at wishfull thinking, but you made me want it again so bad! :-) Good call on the Taj Mahal :-)

On 22/10/2017 at 6:35 PM, Jim said:

37137348404_fd0a005592_b.jpg

Is the plating under the engines supposed to be sagged like that, or have you built it wrong?

Great review, well done! I was lucky enough to get one but haven't built it yet, I am waiting for my two sons to get a bit older so I can do it with them :-) 

3 hours ago, mickywrx said:

Is the plating under the engines supposed to be sagged like that, or have you built it wrong?

It’s supposed to be like that. I don’t like it too.

This is kind of small print, but I’m slightly sad that there doesn’t appear to be any representation of the top hatch through which Lando rescues Luke from the antenna he’s hanging off on Bespin. It’s such an iconic scene that it would have been great to see it in some way, even if it wasn’t able to open.

I’m sure I did once see an epic scale MOC that did include the hatch though...

9 hours ago, Sir Brickalot said:

Great review Jim! I’m looking forward to picking it up eventually.

Also, I made a space slug;

https://imgur.com/a/2HqpF

I have no idea how to embed it, can anyone help? Thanks. 

Thanks.

You need to post the address to the image itself, so the .jpg.

22 hours ago, mickywrx said:

That was something I was wondering about as well. But it seems to be normal. The old one also had a "sagged" rear.

318.png

Great review of a set I'm not likely to ever get not because of the price, but because I wouldn't have enough place to keep it on display!

Also, here's my Escape from the Space Slug MOC in micro scale which I put together in about an hour (time for digging through pieces included). The space slug in this scale is literally impossible to recreate accurately, so I had to improvise and I don't know if I wanted it to look like this or not. :P

space-slug.jpg

Edited by Vasko

4 hours ago, Sir Brickalot said:

@Jim thanks a lot!

No problem at all.

By the way; I love all the Space Slugs. Keep 'em coming. 

Wow, what a fantastic review of the most iconic SW set :wub:! I´ll be reading & re-reading this for weeks to come! Then the wait for me to get one won´t feel so bad!

Thanks a lot Mike.

I reckon it will take a couple of months before you get one :wink: 
(or will it actually be weeks?)