Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-FB] The Sweetest Fruit

Type: Freebuild

After touring the factory, Agnes decided to finally investigate the claims of  " succulents introduced to this island from further east bears sap ten times sweeter than sugar cane." 

She took one of the few remaining horses on the Island, and rode southeast, until she came upon a strange plant.

37583688130_7f1b295762_z.jpgThe Sweetest Fruit by North White, on Flickr

She dismounted, and began flipping through her book on Horticulture.

37792941936_a9c83c0754_z.jpgThe Sweetest Fruit by North White, on Flickr

She found an entry that matched the description.

Papaver somniferum, 

Commonly known as Opium Poppies, these flowers bear large fruit that can be used as painkillers, or a recreational substance.

Realizing the market potential of a "recreational substance," she took a sample of seedlings, and rode away, with nothing but profit on her mind.

37583688080_5e9995f5bd_z.jpgThe Sweetest Fruit by North White, on Flickr

FIN

Hi everyone, Thanks for viewing my build. Yes, it isn't very detailed, but I just wanted to do a quick introductory build for the next part of Agnes's story.

So, I'm going to ask the Leadership here, ( @Bregir, @Kolonialbeamter, @Legostone, and @Capt Wolf) Can the "Succulent 10 times sweeter than sugar cane" be opium? Because I really want to be a drug czar, for one, and when I first read the description, I was like, oh this is totally opium. If not, please suggest what the mystery crop of the island is because I have no idea what it is if it's not Opium.

If it ain't opium, I'll change the story accordingly. Take this as me asking for permission, instead of going ahead and having to ask for forgiveness, like I usually do. Anyways, I would like to start building Plantations in Mesabi Landing, so I'd like to know what the crop is.

Again, thank you, and C&C appreciated.

A very basic build indeed, which does not mean it is a bad thing. You get your story across, so that works.

Not to piss on your parade, but opium is neither sweet nor a plant. But if you want to grow opium poppy in Mesabi Landing: I have the parts for a medium sized plantation, which could be set up as early as mid November. If you have any ideas, suggestions, wishes or death threats linked to this, just send me a PM.

Edited by Drunknok

Funny, I was planning to build a poppy plantation too, and I didn't realized we had to ask permission from leadership for such a plant, so it's a good thing you ask first.

"...one of the few remaining horses on the Island...":laugh:

25 minutes ago, Bodi said:

Funny, I was planning to build a poppy plantation too, and I didn't realized we had to ask permission from leadership for such a plant, so it's a good thing you ask first.

Nah, you're good to build a Poppy Plantation @Bodi. I just am asking if one of the features of Argentia can be Poppies, which is different.

2 hours ago, Mesabi said:

So, I'm going to ask the Leadership here,

I'm not on the court so I will defer to them for a final answer, but as faction (semi)leadership in short the answer is no. As @Drunknok points out opium is neither sweet, nor a succulent. You can by all means have an opium plantation(s) and go into the narcotics trade, but you will only gain any island bonuses if you are able to discover the plant that the original descriptions refer to. I suspect it will turn out to be Agave.

Regarding the build, it is simple but effective at conveying your story. I like the idea of the discovering this and trying to break into the opium market (maybe this could be the WTC's aim for a monopoly) :devil:

On a separate note, should Agnes present some of her botanical findings to the Royal Society, I'm pretty sure Colonel Allcock would sponsor her for membership.

2 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Not to piss on your parade, but opium is neither sweet nor a plant. 

Honestly I had no idea. I mean it makes sense now that someone has mentioned it. But it's not like I've tried an Opium poppy before. Maybe it says on wikipedia...

Just now, Ayrlego said:

You can by all means have an opium plantation(s) and go into the narcotics trade, but you will only gain any island bonuses if you are able to discover the plant that the original descriptions refer to. I suspect it will turn out to be Agave.

Regarding the build, it is simple but effective at conveying your story. I like the idea of the discovering this and trying to break into the opium market (maybe this could be the WTC's aim for a monopoly) :devil:

On a separate note, should Agnes present some of her botanical findings to the Royal Society, I'm pretty sure Colonel Allcock would sponsor her for membership.

I like the idea of the WTC being a drug cartel. And if I could get a monopoly on it.... well, that'd just be more fun. 

I really want to develop Agnes more as a character, so I might try to do this. I kinda shot myself in the foot by sending so many of my characters on the AMCRA, so Most of my land builds will involve her for the coming months. 

@Mesabi If I were you I'd look up which famous spirit is made using agave... I'm sure the Count would be into that industry... and you'd potentially get the island bonus....

Gah, I hate Tequila. Give me vodka any day of the week. :drunk:

Alright, I'm going to pull back on me wanting Opium to be the plant of Argentia. As @Drunknok, and @Ayrlego clearly stated, Opium is neither sweet, nor a succulent. I probably should have taken a hint from the fact we were going to name the island Agavia, and googled what agaves were, but I was really set on the opium thing. I totally accept Agaves as the sweet fruit of Argentia. I still want to build Poppy plantations, but that will be imported poppies, rather than naturally occurring plants. I watched a how it's made on Tequila, and now I'm rather excited for that. 

So, again Leaders, Agaves as the fruit of Argentia? Does that work, or am I still off?

Just now, Mesabi said:

So, again Leaders, Agaves as the fruit of Argentia? Does that work, or am I still off?

That's not how this works ;)

You build something, and then license it, and then possibly you get a bonus at some point. ;)

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

That's not how this works ;)

You build something, and then license it, and then possibly you get a bonus at some point. ;)

Ah. My bad. Carry on y'all