I have finally got around to announcing my 40th Anniversary of Technic build! I am going to be making my first fully manual model in honor of the early Technic models. I am planning to build a 2017 Ariel Nomad Tactical, which is essentially a supercharged, street-legal sand-rail/Group B racer hybrid.

The Real Thing:

37566138940_ff903d3a0c_c.jpgAriel Nomad

37792288522_c74c9dccbb_c.jpgAriel Nomad

As you can see, it is a pretty awesome vehicle. It can do 0-60mph in 3.4 seconds, 0-100mph in 8.4 seconds, and it has a top speed of 125mph. It is rear-wheel drive only with a 6+R manual transmission, chain-driven by an inline 4-cylinder 2.4L K24 Honda i-VTEC engine, transversely mounted over the rear axle which produces 235bph (which can be upped with an optional supercharger) and 300lb-ft of torque. It is built for off-roading, as it has long-travel, unequal length, double-wishbone suspension, with Bilstein shocks, and approach/departure angles of 71 and 82 degrees respectively. To top all that off, it comes in whatever color you want it to. And the whole thing weighs less than 1500lb. Who wouldn't want one?!

For more info, including all the options and still more specs, check out the manufacturer's page.

The Model:

I am planning on a manual model with a 6-speed transmission, 3+R gearbox, HoG steering, full suspension, and hopefully a fake engine. And maybe in the future... An RC version with buggy motors!

Some blueprints I am using for this model.

37824393181_9b42692504_c.jpgAriel Nomad Blueprints

CURRENT PROGRESS: Gearbox Revision!

All the parts are here! I have exchanged all the color vomit parts for black, it looks much better now!
I am streamlining the framework around the gearbox.

28483621228_a05aaa93c8_c.jpg[WIP] Ariel Nomad Chassis V2.0

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki
Changed title, updated current progress

In my perception one of the coolest vehicles on the planet! I hope you succeed in replicating the rigidity of the orange cage structure, so it actually serves as a cage.

A very cool vehicle to replicate, I'll follow the progress for sure :) Do you see already the scale, what wheels will you use?

What a great vehicle to build!

I will following this with interest, as I was actually planning on building a similar type of vehicle myself. (but not based off anything)

7 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

it comes in whatever color you want it to.

That should make it a bit easier to model...

6 hours ago, kbalage said:

A very cool vehicle to replicate, I'll follow the progress for sure :) Do you see already the scale, what wheels will you use?

I am not sure yet what the scale is, but I will be using either Tumbler tires (81.6x44), or the 42037 balloon tires (81.6x38).

10 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

In my perception one of the coolest vehicles on the planet! I hope you succeed in replicating the rigidity of the orange cage structure, so it actually serves as a cage.

I will make sure most of it is rigid, but I will be using some flex axles for the shaping, otherwise it won't be possible.

59 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Interesting concept :thumbup:

7 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

This is gonna be so interesting! Following with interest, and started my 4oth anniversary project too :laugh:

I hope I won't disappoint your expectations! :grin:

4 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

What a great vehicle to build! I will following this with interest, as I was actually planning on building a similar type of vehicle myself. (but not based off anything)

That should make it a bit easier to model...

Yes, it will. I will be making it mostly black, with lime accents. And maybe some white as well, because those are the most common colors in my collection.

And yes, I know, Monster Energy color scheme... :laugh:

21 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

I am not sure yet what the scale is, but I will be using either Tumbler tires (81.6x44), or the 42037 balloon tires (81.6x38).

You should definitely use the 42037 balloon tires!

Just now, letsbuild said:

You should definitely use the 42037 balloon tires!

I will be using those for sure, but I do want it to be able to use the Tumbler tires, as I bought them specifically for this vehicle. So you will be seeing both tires being used. :wink:

If/when I make an RC model, it will use the 42037 tires.

Update:

Gearbox is more/less finished, thanks to @dgustafsson for the original design! Suspension is still mostly theoretical, I need to figure out how the uneven length wishbones are going to work...

Photos!!!

37822947806_83dace4d34_c.jpg[WIP] Ariel Nomad

Sorry for the crappy quality, but it is a WIP. :wink:

37871793181_2fc769df54_c.jpg[WIP] Ariel Nomad

The front suspension is the one on the right. Rear is the one on the left, and no, it isn't upside down, I just haven't extended the bottom arm yet.

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki
Left out a word

If lower arm is longer, it is OK, and pretty often used in real cars.

It would be nice to have for those rims some tires, which are narrow as those rims, but as high as those ballon tires. Most probalbly there are some 3rd party tires.

Somohow ahppned, that I put in scaler those 7.8 stud tires (used in Arocs and others). First thought was, that normal suspension wont fit in width of 18 studs. But that cosideration was based on using those big hubs.

But then I took thse out of drawer 

c2edb912b6c7bd2ce287089ba375c572.jpg

and

f2913c3d623931f9e7e2c67af74a486d.jpg

and now I howe sotnig like front part of Ariel Nomad in scale of those tires

sorry

@Jurss If I had those parts, that would be interesting to attempt. Sadly, I do not have them, and they are quite expensive now.

I do indeed wish there were tires like that. I will have to look around at my local RC hobby shop.

That steering arm is somehow expensive. I didn't notice that, until You pointed. But RC tires could be more expensive.

Also option, but delivery will be much more than parts, and then he will need to add someting more ... :classic:

In my case, I chose those because of better look.

6 hours ago, muffinbrick said:

And what about these parts for steering - they are relatively cheap:

*removed photo*

I have those parts, and I did consider using them. The only issue with them is that the steering arms are not placed horizontally. Otherwise I would have used them.

After a lot of testing with the front suspension, I have decided that the arms will be mounted with two studs in between them, which will lead to the same effect as the uneven arms. Why am I doing this? Because I want to have caster angle in this model. If the lower arms are 7 studs, as opposed to 6, there is not enough room for mounting the axle at angle. Not to mention that the uneven length puts a bit of stress and creates friction on the wheel hub and the sockets connected to it. However, uneven length suspension arms in the rear is possible, and should work well. Photos will come tomorrow!

14 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

After a lot of testing with the front suspension, I have decided that the arms will be mounted with two studs in between them, which will lead to the same effect as the uneven arms. Why am I doing this? Because I want to have caster angle in this model. If the lower arms are 7 studs, as opposed to 6, there is not enough room for mounting the axle at angle. Not to mention that the uneven length puts a bit of stress and creates friction on the wheel hub and the sockets connected to it. However, uneven length suspension arms in the rear is possible, and should work well. Photos will come tomorrow!

You can obtain caster angle by inclining the entire front suspension. But I suppose you are referring to camber angle. The Nomad has active / dynamic / progressive camber: progressing negative camber when the suspension compresses and progressing positive camber when the suspension expands. This will keep the wheels more straight up in turns - with the tires closer to flat on the ground that is.

Spoiler

Here you can see dynamic camber at work:

In a double wishbone setup, active camber can be obtained by having non-parallel wishbones, with increasing space between the wishbones towards the wheels. This is often combined with a longer lower wishbone, but that's not crucial. You can see the Nomad's non-parallel setup very well here:

20065777_131008907493139_466192577989705

If you mount the wishbones to the chassis with two studs in between them (and one stud between them at the wheel hub side), you'll get the opposite of active camber: progressing positive camber when the suspension compresses and progressing negative camber when the suspension expands. That would be very odd imo.

Edited by Didumos69

@Didumos69 You said what I was trying to say in a much better way! Thanks! :laugh:

And yes, I will be inclining the entire front suspension module for the purpose of caster angle. That is partly why I cannot use a longer lower arm.

When I saw tumbler tires and transmission I realise that this is not an ordinary project. Keep up with good work :thumbup:

Update:

1. I have made very little progress, but Campaign 4 is now out of the way, so things will be moving along faster now. I will be starting to finalize the front suspension setup shortly, I should have a mock-up and photos in a couple days...

On 10/25/2017 at 11:33 AM, I_Igor said:

When I saw tumbler tires and transmission I realise that this is not an ordinary project. Keep up with good work :thumbup:

Thanks. I do hope it will turn out extraordinary. :wink:

Before someone asks what you're all thinking, No, I have not abandoned this project! I am very sorry to have had nothing posted in way too many weeks, but I was incredibly busy, and traveling on the weekends as I advanced through the finals of cross-country, up through Nationals. Anyways, to make up for missing all that, here is a good progress report.

At one point, I had a partially-working, totally unfinished chassis. However, It was not built to my satisfaction, the suspension was poor, and the steering had way too much slack in it. Not to mention the gearbox.... And thus, I took it apart and I am now starting fresh. Front suspension will be simple double wishbone, there is simply not enough space at this scale for uneven arms. But anyone wants to prove me wrong, feel free to do so. Rear suspension is mostly theoretical for the moment, I will need to tinker around with connecting the gearbox to the differential, and the transverse engine above the axle. Very tight space, not much room to work in.

I do like the way the distinctive front bumper turned out though.

Photos:

37850534265_cc2af7b9e9_c.jpg[WIP] Ariel Nomad Axle 2.0

Please give advice, C&C, etc. Cross-country finishes December 9th, so I'll have more time to build in the coming weeks.

- Leonardo da Bricki

Ar those suspension arms connected (top and bottom)? Seems no. If so, lower part will pop out of the hub.

The thing, that holds steering gear axle in the front will not hold it in vertical direction. Ok, there wont be much load, but ...