Sign in to follow this  
Aventador2004

(WIP) JLG boom lift (model / color undecided)

What model (400s or 1850sj)  

1. 1. 400s (steering, no outriggers) or 1850sj (outriggers, no steering)?

• 400s
    • 1850sj

Hi everyone,

you may remember my origonal custom boom lift, which i now think was a good start, but not good enough. 

If you are familiar with the brand JLG, you may know they are a brand that manufactures lift machines, some of the biggest machines ever like their 1850sj  (185ft), and compact machines (scissor lifts). I am currently working on building a boom lift, but am not sure what size, 400s or 1850sj?

I have accomplished the chassis so far, with the awesome outrigger system, that expands for stability. I unfortunately could not put steering with the outrigger system (only 1850sj) so far.

400s

400s-gallery-silo.png?w=100

1850sj

1850sj-gallery-silo-jpg.jpg?w=100

Current progress (4 hours of rebuilding)

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

Hope you like it, and if you want, drop a vote in the poll.

Are you trying for a "scaled" model or just a free build? 

Have you looked up how the outriggers and steering works? Just from a quick search, I found that the outriggers are hydraulic and the steering is somewhat similar to how you would extend the outrigger, but instead it rotates the wheels. 

It really depends on the pieces you have available, but you have a good start. If you have small pneumatic cylinders, try using them for the extension of the outriggers 

16 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Are you trying for a "scaled" model or just a free build? 

Have you looked up how the outriggers and steering works? Just from a quick search, I found that the outriggers are hydraulic and the steering is somewhat similar to how you would extend the outrigger, but instead it rotates the wheels. 

It really depends on the pieces you have available, but you have a good start. If you have small pneumatic cylinders, try using them for the extension of the outriggers 

It is a free build, but i could scale the arm to the chassis, or make it larger.

I only have the pneumatics from the 42043 set, so i would need to make this a bit larger, and it would allow more mechanisms. If i do this long term, i will get more small cylinders.

It is possible to have steering at the same time as outriggers:

640x330.jpg

Move the red liftarm for steering, and move the blue liftarms for the outriggers. :wink:

7 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

It is possible to have steering at the same time as outriggers:

Move the red liftarm for steering, and move the blue liftarms for the outriggers. :wink:

I meant at the current scale, there is not room for anything to go through the middle structure. Thanks for the idea, I will try and scale the model to tires, and hopefully make it bigger.

If you make an LDD of what you have so I have an idea of scale. I'll make what I am thinking for steering and outrigger 

5 minutes ago, aminnich said:

If you make an LDD of what you have so I have an idea of scale. I'll make what I am thinking for steering and outrigger 

I can sure try, but I am not super good at it..

Undercarriedge looks promising. Perhaps it would look better with 49.5 x 20 tires

JLG usually makes orange or blue equipment, so concentrate on those two colors :wink:

My chouce would be orange

42 minutes ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Do you have any of these? 

Coincidentally, those were the tires I have been using offline.

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Undercarriedge looks promising. Perhaps it would look better with 49.5 x 20 tires

54 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

JLG usually makes orange or blue equipment, so concentrate on those two colors :wink:

My chouce would be orange

I don't have much blue, but I can use tan system parts on the boom, but I don't have the 49.5 tires.

20 minutes ago, aminnich said:

could you make a video of how your outrigger mechanism works?  I think I understand it, I just want to make sure 

Would a undercarriage picture help? I don't want to make a vid at the moment.

I actually will use this livery:

Telescopic-Boom-Lifts-JLG-600S-5866739.j

Edited by Aventador2004

I think I finally have made my decision, I will be making a 1250 aj, with a double articulation boom.

A video showing it:

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

I don't have much blue, but I can use tan system parts on the boom, but I don't have the 49.5 tires.

I was no help at all. But as I see 1250 would be OK with 43.2 tires

1 hour ago, aminnich said:

Sure

Ok, it might not be the best pic ever (its night here) but if that helps, good.

give me a little bit.

Edited by Aventador2004

Ok, I was completely wrong.  I thought you used a worm gear, but it is 100% manual without gearing

But if you are not doing that model of the lift anymore you do not have to worry about anything with widening the wheelbase for stability 

Edited by aminnich

Just now, aminnich said:

Ok, I was completely wrong.  I thought you used a worm gear, but it is 100% manual without gearing

But if you are not doing that model of the lift anymore you do not have to worry about anything with widening the wheelbase for stability 

Yes, I came to that same conclusion, that it will not be needed for now. Unless I do decide I need to make the 1850 SJ.

I will make a new chassis, and make a steering system.

I am sad to say this has been put on hold, I have a project for a class, and teach people about pneumatic and hydraulic machines.