koalayummies

[MOC] Modular: Town Bed & Breakfast

Welcome to the Town Bed and Breakfast! This family owned and operated establishment is nearing its third generation of host and offers all the comforts of home to weary travelers in a warm and cozy building.

37130507563_804c70d344_b.jpg

This bed and breakfast on the city’s main street was established by David Brickenen, a well regarded historian, traveller and adventurer. David spent his life traveling the world working with researchers, archeologists, biologists and historians furthering the knowledge of of the brick world. Never a treasure hunter, his drive was academic in nature taking only knowledge and information and never artifacts or objects. As he got older he found he could no longer go on expeditions like he used to but still wanted to help others and further the enthusiasm of adventure. He decided to settle down in his favorite region and open this bed and breakfast, offering comfortable lodging, good food and only the best of area knowledge and information to tourists, explorers and adventurers alike. He found this structure, an old masonry apartment building left vacant as the result of nearby brand new developments and decided to give it new life. He and his wife reconditioned the floors, lacquered the wooden window frames and cleaned and restored as much of the original building as possible keeping in-tact the building’s history and feel. 

37130507593_4c937f511b_b.jpg

37130528003_2c2caaf9db_b.jpg

37130507613_7dcbc399be_b.jpg

Minifigures and minibuilds:

37130528103_eef66d9aa9_b.jpg

Sadly David Brickenen is no longer with us, but his son, Abraham, and his granddaughter Libby carry on his spirit and operate the bed and breakfast with the same love and esprit de corps:

37130528123_9ce9ef1ff5_b.jpg

Abraham Brickenen is the current owner who along with his daughter, Libby, carry on the family legacy. Abraham takes great pride in the cleanliness and presentation of the bed and breakfast, he never misses a spot. He takes great satisfaction in having one of the tidiest buildings in town, from taking care of all the laundry and bedding, making up the rooms and keeping the whole place clean. He is also quite the handyman and mechanic with a bit of a green thumb, if its not a broom or cleaning product in his hands its a wrench or spackle or trowel and soil. No job is too big, from water heaters, to plumbing and A/C. If Abraham wants it done right, as he always does, then he does it himself. 

Libby Brickenen helps maintain the guest booking lists, cooks all the food, maintains the kitchen and restaurant and offers up the guests all the best information on places to see and things to do in town. She is renowned in town for her culinary skills and after the guests have had their breakfast and take off for the days activities she offers a few lunch hours where local town residents can come and eat. David's spirit of adventure is very much carried on by Libby, who, like her grandfather has a great fondness for history and exploration. There are no secrets with Libby as she is happy to share the best vistas, locations and things to do in the area. If however you’re more in the mood to sit back, relax and keep it local then she serves the best breakfast food in town which can be ordered all day long.

The rest of the minifigures:

37800719071_3bb6138f5d_b.jpg

Travel-writing couple. These two work for a well known travel and exploration publication. The girl is quite the shutterbug taking all the fabulous photos and video for the publication while the guy writes all the articles. The guy is quite a food enthusiast but sometimes he’s a bit too adventurous when trying out local cuisines and winds up spending a bit more time in the bathroom than he’d prefer.

37800719091_b4b7f3dbb3_b.jpg

The mother and daughter are in town for a children’s orchestra. These are the best kid musicians in the region and they’re here to play an outdoor concert featuring music from the likes of Amadeus Brickzart and Antonio Brickvaldi. Everyone seems to love the music even if its just a few minutes of practice in their bed and breakfast room, everyone except one guy.

37800719101_7a0a11ab09_b.jpg

The adventurous aunt (left). She’s retired and her kids are all grown up so she’s determined to spend her free time seeing as many places and things this brick world has to offer. This lionhearted aunt has been all over the world and her kindness and ability to relate to complete strangers leads her to making friends and getting local travel tips everywhere she goes. She always seems to know exactly where she’s going. (Abby the cabbie pictured right).

37800719111_2a7a0e8180_b.jpg

Businessman and This Guy.

Out of town corporate fat cat. We’re not really sure where he’s from but judging from the ostentatious shiny pinstriped suit and condescending attitude the townsfigures are guessing he’s from a large multinational company in Brick York. He seems to always have a scorn on his face and when angry he frequently mentions how he ‘could buy this whole town and turn it into an open pit mine’ despite the fact that the area isn’t particularly rich in minerals. He seems to rub everyone the wrong way. No ones really sure why he’s in this small city but rumor has it that it involves a large land deal that isn’t in the best interest of the townsfigures.

This guy. Not much is known of him. Some say he’s ex-military or law enforcement but he tends to keep to himself. The only thing he’s known around town for is making a bunch of local kids return a couple of stolen bicycles to their rightful owners so he seems to have a highly developed sense of morality, drive for justice and is obviously quite a convincing fellow. Come to think of it ever since that rude businessman showed up he’s been seen more than usual, and since when does he ride a scooter? Maybe he knows something we don’t. 

37800719131_7f00201bcd_b.jpg

The biologist and chemist are in town researching a few invasive species of insects and plants. They normally work via remote correspondence but they have come here together to do some more field research in order to collect a few more fresh sample organisms and control test some possible solutions as these non-native species have been decimating some of the local fauna and leading to a decline of other insects.

37800719151_062205b440_b.jpg

The firefighter and police officer are two of Libby’s best friends. They stop by at least twice a week for lunch to get her absolutely amazing bacon grilled cheese or French toast. Abraham likes having public safety come by and they know better than to bother inspecting the robustness of the locks or integrity of the fire extinguishers as he is always on top of maintenance and safety.

37130566693_d98505087e_b.jpg

This is Abby. The daughter of a former off road rally competitor and instructor, she was trained by the best. When she’s not teaching driver’s education to teenagers she likes to drive the taxi as she’s most happy behind the wheel of an automobile, gets paid to do it and earns some generous tips for her skill and knowledge of all the areas roads and locales. That is until she gets a back seat driver or snobby and rude fare, then she turns into what the townsfigures have nicknamed her; the crabby cabbie. Better to just enjoy the ride and be nice unless you want to lose your lunch because theres a 150-piece vomit clean up fee and she knows how to achieve it.

37130528033_7be6b8a1c2_b.jpg

37130528053_57c28c1371_b.jpg

Taxi fare meter with flag drop indicator and passenger (not back seat driver) capacity:

23948093708_53d745591d_b.jpg

Crabby Cabbie two-wheeling:

37130528083_9890da0169_b.jpg

Collection of grandfather clocks, one for each floor. Don't worry, the chimes have been disabled so you can sleep in as long as you like:

37130566633_da27b55352_b.jpg

Kitchen and restaurant builds:

37542541910_6bed32e42b_b.jpg

All floors:

23947811178_24bbd51267_b.jpg

Ground floor:

37542541920_0d4b5627a7_b.jpg

37130566653_ec05b5e718_b.jpg

37130566743_52517e471a_b.jpg

37542541840_19a32450b3_b.jpg

37542541880_1d7c597dbc_b.jpg

37542541900_7a3e04456c_b.jpg

Abraham's favorite room, cleaning and supplies:

37090965184_5df0cb4cfe_b.jpg

37542541930_6d6cd311b8_b.jpg

Upper floors:

37090975364_5165b9e8d9_b.jpg

Some last-minute practice before the big concert:

37542571900_5f2346d047_b.jpg

Much to the ire of the rude businessman who has subsequently destroyed his room:

37090965204_6b3fe4de5a_b.jpg

The biologist won't sleep tight until she inspects the room for any critters:

37090965234_ebc4bc28f5_b.jpg

Uh oh, a bit too adventurous with the local cuisine again:

37090965264_4aafc3772e_b.jpg

Taking in the view:

37090965224_052200ca94_b.jpg

37090975404_f2e73ebfb8_b.jpg

37090965304_85d684be0a_b.jpg

Each room features a full bathtub and shower with complimentary soaps:

37090975304_bb2a205c3f_b.jpg

37090975324_319c9b0db2_b.jpg

Rooftop featuring seating, a hottub, radio, large capacity water heater, A/C, television antenna:

23947811058_4d9dd1d322_b.jpg

Ahhhhh, relaxation:

23947811078_73134c40ce_b.jpg

Rooftop gathering fun time:

23947811108_90ed401732_b.jpg

23947811118_edd2a7bc9a_b.jpg

23947811148_7dd50d7017_b.jpg

37130507553_b0691f2f69_b.jpg

37130507573_0eafb0dfff_b.jpg

Thanks for visiting and come back anytime!

Edited by koalayummies

Now this is really awesome! So cute, well thought-out and built. The first couple of pictures made already a very good impression (lovely stoneworks, for example), but it got even better and better the further down I scrolled. The interiors are just wonderful, the characters lively and hilarious and everything breathes happiness. Just brilliant :classic:

Great build with fantastic interior details and minibuilds! Also your presentation, especially the perfect quality of your pictures, is top notch!

Amazing! For me you are a LEGO master builder!

You experimented with the brickwork before, but here you came to an outstanding result!
The used colors could have made a rather dull building, but you with all your detailing managed to make it look so nicely finished and cheerfull.

I also love the interior and all of those little minibuilds!

Your presentation is the cherry on the cake!

This is so lovely! The building, the interior, the minifigures ... everything fits together very well. The photography and the story behind the pictures really bring it to live.

My favourite parts are the rooftop and the clock collection.

O, WOW!!!

this looks Amazing!!!

- The story telling pictures are beautiful

- Always love your work, but this one stands out

Greetings!

Wonderful! The style of this building is unique and you've really packed it with story and detail. I like that you pay as much attention to the mini-figure characters as the building itself.

On October 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Littleworlds said:

Now this is really awesome! So cute, well thought-out and built. The first couple of pictures made already a very good impression (lovely stoneworks, for example), but it got even better and better the further down I scrolled. The interiors are just wonderful, the characters lively and hilarious and everything breathes happiness. Just brilliant :classic:

Thanks Littleworlds! Such kind praise, I'm very moved. I’m glad you like it throughout and its good to hear the character development and energetic atmosphere shines through. Thanks!!

On October 19, 2017 at 10:19 PM, peedeejay said:

Great build with fantastic interior details and minibuilds! Also your presentation, especially the perfect quality of your pictures, is top notch!

Thanks Peedeejay. I always appreciate your modular expert input and thoughts and am relieved the extra photographic setup effort paid off. Thank you!

On October 19, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Wesley D said:

Amazing! For me you are a LEGO master builder!

You experimented with the brickwork before, but here you came to an outstanding result!
The used colors could have made a rather dull building, but you with all your detailing managed to make it look so nicely finished and cheerfull.

I also love the interior and all of those little minibuilds!

Your presentation is the cherry on the cake!

Thank you very much Wesley D. You do me too much honor. I agree with you about the coloring, in fact there were moments of doubt in the build. It was first designed in LDD and when I finally assembled it in bricks it was a tad bleak and lacking that cheerfulness and took quite some time experimenting with the entire frontage to finally come to a more complete and friendly building. I’m really happy you like the final result. Many thanks!

On October 20, 2017 at 5:47 AM, lightningtiger said:

Okay, so the word is EPIC, or is it AWESOME, perhaps BEAUTIFUL !

Brick On 'koalayummies' !

Thanks Lightningtiger! It will always be humbling when the well known modular enthusiasts and builders are fond of one’s own designs, thank you.

On October 20, 2017 at 6:17 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Gorgeous modular building!

The internal details are simply amazing! :wub:

Thanks Lego Train 12 Volts! It was pretty bare bones inside when first designed and took quite a while to achieve the level of interior detail. I’m honored you like it. Thanks.

On October 21, 2017 at 3:13 AM, Palixa And The Bricks said:

This is so lovely! The building, the interior, the minifigures ... everything fits together very well. The photography and the story behind the pictures really bring it to live.

My favourite parts are the rooftop and the clock collection.

Thank you Palixa And The Bricks! A lot of the modular love is the simple attractiveness of more realistic city buildings but I’m thrilled you like the stories behind the characters as you’ve noted it brings another element to the appeal. Thank you so much!

On October 21, 2017 at 10:16 PM, carebear said:

O, WOW!!!

this looks Amazing!!!

- The story telling pictures are beautiful

- Always love your work, but this one stands out

Greetings!

Thanks Carebear! Much love as always!

On October 22, 2017 at 7:26 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

Very nice inside and out!

Thanks AFOLguy1970! 

21 hours ago, eliza said:

Wonderful! The style of this building is unique and you've really packed it with story and detail. I like that you pay as much attention to the mini-figure characters as the building itself.

Thank you very much Eliza! Yeah I’ve come to realize the importance of having minifigures in the build and throughout the presentation. I tried so many combinations of figures I’m really honored you like the results as I am also very fond of your amazing modular skill. Thanks!

Edited by koalayummies

Wow! I love all the little details everywhere! I must confess when I saw the interior pictures my first thought was 'where is the dining room' but then I realized the kitchen was behind it, lol! The pictures are superb, and the story is awesome :) 

I really like the colour palette used. More natural building colours with the use of flowers to brighten it works very well. I really like the interiors and it is very well photographed to highlight the excellent details.

Well done! :thumbup:

Love it!
Realistic façade with nice colours.
Very well thought out interior layout, and nicely detailed in the back as well.
The ground floor interior is my absolute favourite.
We would add this to our town instantly. Even with one floor less, it would still be brilliant.

Keep clicking those bricks together!

On October 24, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Elysiumfountain said:

Wow! I love all the little details everywhere! I must confess when I saw the interior pictures my first thought was 'where is the dining room' but then I realized the kitchen was behind it, lol! The pictures are superb, and the story is awesome :) 

Thanks Elysiumfountain! It can be challenging to show the layout of modulars, I did remove some walls for some of the photos but others are quite difficult to remove if 'properly' overlapping the bricks and the kitchen is a rather small space compared to try and capture. Glad it wasn't too confusing and thank you very much for the compliments. 

On October 25, 2017 at 5:01 AM, Jody Meyer said:

Nothing but stunning...so much detail. :wub:

Thanks Jody Meyer! 

On October 25, 2017 at 8:12 AM, snaillad said:

I really like the colour palette used. More natural building colours with the use of flowers to brighten it works very well. I really like the interiors and it is very well photographed to highlight the excellent details.

Well done! :thumbup:

Thanks you Snaillad. Yeah as I mentioned earlier its first physical build with real bricks after LDD was a bit drab but after some tweaking I'm glad you like the final result which took a fair amount of time. Thank you very much. 

On October 27, 2017 at 12:33 AM, Withacee said:

Love it!
Realistic façade with nice colours.
Very well thought out interior layout, and nicely detailed in the back as well.
The ground floor interior is my absolute favourite.
We would add this to our town instantly. Even with one floor less, it would still be brilliant.

Keep clicking those bricks together!

Thank you very much Withacee! Yeah the ground floor has a lot of emphasis being a bed and breakfast with what would have similar and somewhat repetitive bedrooms, so lots of detail is concentrated on the first floor being where the guests and owners would spend a fair amount of time. Thanks for the generous compliments.