Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Jungle Building Tips Needed

I recently combined some adventure sets with Indiana Jones to arrive at this jungle diorama: Jungle Adventure.

As I look at it, I want to expand it, but have very limited jungle pieces (including palms and green bricks).

I was looking for some ideas that any of you may have used to build a good jungle scene (perhaps for Adventurers, Indiana Jones, Pirate Island, Ninja, Endor, etc.)

As one idea for trees and foliage, I have many of the old spruce trees as well as some of the more rare cypress trees. What are your thoughts on using these classic Lego trees for jungle? Surprisingly, the Wild West bushes look pretty good. I would not have used, but one is contained in River Expedition that gave me the idea.

What else might add to a jungle? Perhaps a small waterfall? Looking for some ideas???

As one idea for trees and foliage, I have many of the old spruce trees as well as some of the more rare cypress trees. What are your thoughts on using these classic Lego trees for jungle?

I think they are good if you spread them out and mix them with other MOC foliage. But you said you don't have many palms so that might be a problem. You could make some of the spruce trees taller by adding brown 1x1 bricks underneath them. If you have enough of those little "multi-leaf palms"(sorry, don't know the real name), you can make a pretty convincing tropical looking tree.

church_9.jpg_thumb.jpg

Other than that, I think it would be cool if you added a native village with little huts and what not. Good luck with this project.

A good idea might be to make a rocky section using brown or old grey, that way you can cover small sections with foliage but leave other parts as rock and mud. The old Aquazone seaweed pieces are great for trees or moss as Lt.Veers stated too. The wild west bushes are good too if you have any more, especially if crowded near trees or in an open space. Maybe another temple or set would take up some space too. Hope that helps.

Batbrick Away! >:-)

You could stack some of the smaller green base plates,for instance put some 2x3 8x8 2x2 4x4 etc. make the ground look uneven,scatter your trees about also add some flowers it actually looks good in my forest!And don't be afraid to make your own trees sometimes they look better add some rocks and a stream you can make it of blue base plates.Hope that helped!

In playing with settings for my stories, I've tried creating a swamp and the classic green vine:

2488.gif

looks very jungle-y in bulk.

The key to a jungle look is making it look crowded with foliage. Be sure to try and isolate the actual area you need to be covered in jungle (perhaps the rest of the area could be a rocky moss covered cliff or mountain)

But crowded is a must - no matter how small the diorama, I'd rather have a small crowded one than a larger uncrowded forest setting? :-$

Thank you all for the excellent ideas. I've posted some links from images I found on Brickshelf using the various ideas you've mentioned.

How about hanging seaweed pieces from trees to make moss?

These aren't hanging, but good pieces to use:

Dino Jungle Scene

If you have enough of those little "multi-leaf palms", you can make a pretty convincing tropical looking tree.

I definately need more of the palm leaf pieces:

A Few Palms

A good idea might be to make a rocky section using brown or old grey, that way you can cover small sections with foliage but leave other parts as rock and mud.

The wild west bushes are good too if you have any more, especially if crowded near trees or in an open space.

I do have a few. I will definately try this idea.

You could stack some of the smaller green base plates,for instance put some 2x3 8x8 2x2 4x4 etc. make the ground look uneven,scatter your trees about also add some flowers it actually looks good in my forest!

Excellent idea to add topgraphy. I may not have many green plates, but I do have some green bricks. I'll definately try this. Also, here's a shot of someone who used flowers. They do look good:

Flowers in the Jungle

In playing with settings for my stories, I've tried creating a swamp and the classic green vine:

The vine piece is excellent. I'll see if I have any, but I don't think I do.

Vines

The key to a jungle look is making it look crowded with foliage.

Definately. Something along this line really makes a scene look jungle-like:

Heavy Foliage

Now here's a few great jungles/forests incorporating many of the ideas you've mentioned:

01.jpg

img_0001.jpg

bwjurassicpark1400.jpg

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I'm going to get busy and see what I have available to add.

Another method that I've thought of using in the background of MOCs to fill in gaps and give an illusion of dense jungle is using this piece:

2417.jpg

You slot the "tip" in between the two seperate "tips" and so they join together. Or you could use stud connections... ;-)

Also, using Duplo pieces, like this vine, could be useful.

31064.gif

A few fallen logs could save using foliage in insignificant places...

Try getting the Islander set Enchanted Island. You get vines, bushes, some standard leaves and a ton of palm leaves.

Edited by SlyOwl

Perhaps this helps? (gallery)

foliage

TT

Shameless self promotion on! ;-)

I usually use the Pirate palm trees, with a combination of bush pieces, and flowers. That has always worked for me!

Perhaps this helps? (gallery)

foliage

Great little MOC, but the foliage is a little light.

I added a number of old trees, flowers, some green bricks, and a few more jungle-related items. Thanks everyone for all the great tips. I also ordered some pieces from PickABrick today. I'm looking forward to getting them.

I think if you just toss a bunch of foilage parts it, it will work. Lots of vines. A few pine trees look good, I think. Palm trees look good, but they are so open at the bottom, it looks funny. Upside down seaweed. Bamboo pieces. The tree parts. Stumps. Etc.

Some uneven ground would help too. Plus if you use the flower stems, it looks like its very overgrown.

Also some animals.

Here is one of my jungle scenes.

Steve

I like your scene Steve. The flower stems do work well. I added a number of them to my jungle as well. The waterfall is a nice addition as well. Make sure you check the jungle thread for updated pictures I keep adding.

In any case, thanks for the tips.

A couple more things I thought of that might possibly help, or not, you decide. You could always try to "cheat" with a lack of foliage by including other elements in there. A flowing river leading out into the main river maybe? Or perhaps a car wreck or plane wreck covered in vines, it might look quite good (especially with skellies inside) and by covering it in foliage it would look old, rusted, and built up high, evening it with the rest of the jungle while using less pieces. A large mud bank might look good too if you have a few brown pieces, they could be used on the edges of the layout or on the edges of rivers, with foliage located around them. Just a few ideas, hope they help, but if not, thats fine :-)

A flowing river leading out into the main river maybe? Or perhaps a car wreck or plane wreck covered in vines, it might look quite good (especially with skellies inside) and by covering it in foliage it would look old, rusted, and built up high, evening it with the rest of the jungle while using less pieces. A large mud bank might look good too if you have a few brown pieces, they could be used on the edges of the layout or on the edges of rivers, with foliage located around them.

Excellent ideas. I really like the plane wreck idea. Reminds me of the game Pitfall. I might also try the waterfall. Someone else had mentioned that one (and Steve's jungle scene had one to). The use of brown around the edges might add an element of interest. Thanks. These are all great ideas. *y*

Or perhaps a car wreck or plane wreck covered in vines, it might look quite good (especially with skellies inside) and by covering it in foliage it would look old, rusted,

Maybe it could be a blue VW van, with some Dharma Brand beer in the back too!

Steve

Excellent ideas. I really like the plane wreck idea. Reminds me of the game Pitfall. I might also try the waterfall. Someone else had mentioned that one (and Steve's jungle scene had one to). The use of brown around the edges might add an element of interest. Thanks. These are all great ideas. *y*

Thankyou, glad I could help.

Maybe it could be a blue VW van, with some Dharma Brand beer in the back too!

Steve

Wait a minute, you've Lost me X-D

I'm not familiar with Dharma brand beer either?

Edit: I think it has something to do with Lost, although I'm not familiar with the story.

I'm not familiar with Dharma brand beer either?

Edit: I think it has something to do with Lost, although I'm not familiar with the story.

It is from Lost. Basically they find an old van in the jungle, with a dead guy and a bunch of Dharma brand beer. What Dharma is, is one of the little mysteries of the show.

The vine piece is excellent. I'll see if I have any, but I don't think I do.

I find hanging green snakes from trees makes good looking vines if you don't have any of those whips. I would post a picture but I don't think I ever have seen anybody use them in that way before.

I think if you just toss a bunch of foilage parts it, it will work. Lots of vines. A few pine trees look good, I think. Palm trees look good, but they are so open at the bottom, it looks funny. Upside down seaweed. Bamboo pieces. The tree parts. Stumps. Etc.

Some uneven ground would help too. Plus if you use the flower stems, it looks like its very overgrown.

Yes, uneven terrain is very important. I think that using gray slopes for rock, brown for muddy terrain along with other colors for palette variation, and working with all the dark, light, and sand green you have would create the best landscaping. Building up hills with lots of little overlapping plates and with minimal large bricks while keeping all the studs uncovered for a more natural look as demonstrated here seems to be the best technique for this.

After you have hills like that, load it up with as most vegetation as possible like all those flower stems you have. And here's another interesting technique for you courtesy of Mr. Nelson Yrizarry:

2159941073_ec00d634e1.jpg

I find hanging green snakes from trees makes good looking vines if you don't have any of those whips. After you have hills like that, load it up with as most vegetation as possible like all those flower stems you have.

Thanks 007. I'm going to try the snake idea. I had not thought of that one.

I've got some stems and other foliage pieces on order, eagerly awaiting their arrival.

Thanks for the tips. *y*