Cjd223

[Instructions] Mortesv's CR-90 Corvette - Blockade Runner (Tantive IV)

So...............which Tantive IV should I build?  This one or the new official Lego one (75244)   Are both worth building or is one clearly superior?

Need you ask? The MOC is clearly superior in every way. Do you want to go the easy route to have what any person can have for bucks or put in the effort to have something special? Here's some moto for you:

DSC02011

I recently made this model again and decided to make a time-lapse this time around!

Review coming soon! In the meantime I may experiment with modding it to the single stand version, but am not sure quite exactly how to go about it.

Just now, Kristof said:

@Cjd223 That's a great review btw!

Not sure how I forgot to post this video! Thanks for the reminder!

Nice review! Yes, the single stand version that EKae and I reverse engineered is not as stable as your "official" version but works very well. No issue if you keep the stand short, but dicier as you make it taller. This would be a fun project to go back and redo with some of the new parts that Lego now has out that were not available 3 years ago (!) when we all worked on this beauty. Mortesv hinted at a different way to do the fins but never publish the idea that I recall. Maybe an updated set of instructions could capture the blue variant from Rogue One. 

Edited by ecmo47

Have no ldd File for all changes but basically i used a 32555 as it was more stable than a few studs longer spine. Something like this:

engineb7khb.jpg

But with that change you also need to change the engine section a bit, as the height would be wrong if you just remove a technic brick and use 32555 instead.

Very interesting. I'll definitely take a look some time in the future at modding the instructions for this model and possibly creating a Rogue One version.

Currently I'm working on a really awesome MOC I can't wait to share, but once that wraps up later this spring I'm estimating, I will put this model on the ole To-Do List once again.

Does anyone have a comparison between this and kit Bricksto’s tantive? In terms of size difference or even a side by side pic.

Kit's seems more detailed for sure but I want to know before I BrickLink the pieces.

Edited by Naixin

As with the Nebulon-B Medical Frigate, this model is no longer able to be purchased and doesn't exist on rebrickable anymore. Also similarly to the frigate, I was unhappy with the way that the model was effectively two parts. Others had made modifications to connect it together so I did the same. Because of that and because I like instructions for myself I modified it and made fresh instructions. I also fixed the problem with the central spar being unable to easily be assembled. The model is very secure and has a cohesive look with the other instructions I made for the rebel fleet. See it here if you'd like a free copy and updated inventory. I hope you like it!

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-143157/Taladril/cr-90-corellian-corvette-tantive-iv-blockade-runner/#details

5 hours ago, Taladril said:

As with the Nebulon-B Medical Frigate, this model is no longer able to be purchased and doesn't exist on rebrickable anymore. Also similarly to the frigate, I was unhappy with the way that the model was effectively two parts. Others had made modifications to connect it together so I did the same. Because of that and because I like instructions for myself I modified it and made fresh instructions. I also fixed the problem with the central spar being unable to easily be assembled. The model is very secure and has a cohesive look with the other instructions I made for the rebel fleet. See it here if you'd like a free copy and updated inventory. I hope you like it!

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-143157/Taladril/cr-90-corellian-corvette-tantive-iv-blockade-runner/#details

Thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about this build and the Nebulon B for a while.

Wow,  this brings back some memories! Reverse engineering this model with member Ekea is still one of my all-time favorite building experiences. Sad to hear that CJD and Mortesv have both dropped out of sight. Together, they make it possible with mediocre modelers like me to build some really excellent models. 

On 4/1/2023 at 2:28 PM, Bandit778 said:

@Taladril

I don't suppose you have a list of the part difference between your version and the original?

No sorry, though it's probably about 98% the same. The only changes I made were internal structural to have it be a single running spine and the modifications needed for the bricks surrounding the spine due to the semi impossible building technique of getting it locked together. Focus on the pieces around there and internally around the engines plus I added a bunch of technic pins because I have no self control.

On 4/6/2023 at 2:43 AM, Taladril said:

No sorry, though it's probably about 98% the same. The only changes I made were internal structural to have it be a single running spine and the modifications needed for the bricks surrounding the spine due to the semi impossible building technique of getting it locked together. Focus on the pieces around there and internally around the engines plus I added a bunch of technic pins because I have no self control.

Okay, thanks (for the answer and the instructions). 

Will have a bash at redoing mine as the split in half bit always bugged me but I never seemed to find the time to do anything constructive about it.