Cjd223

[Instructions] Mortesv's CR-90 Corvette - Blockade Runner (Tantive IV)

The design for the ship is perfect. I will be purchasing the instructions sometime in the near future, along with the parts needed. Thank you so much for this awesome replica of a beloved ship from the Star Wars Franchise.

Happy building everyone!

-T

20 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

What are you looking at? Part #2440 (Hinge panel,6x3 White) only runs up to about a dollar.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?P=2440&colorID=1

If it's too expensive, you can always try for a corporate sponsor with Shell or Octan!

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?pg=2&catString=83&catType=P

Hi,

Those aren't really expensive, plus you only need one. But I'm finding https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=38297#T=S&C=98&O={"color":"98","iconly":0}
quite much in price. I might switch them for the trans-light blue ones which are less expensive.

20 minutes ago, KillerRu said:

Hi,

Those aren't really expensive, plus you only need one. But I'm finding https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=38297#T=S&C=98&O={"color":"98","iconly":0}
quite much in price. I might switch them for the trans-light blue ones which are less expensive.

Have you considered having the ship parked at rest vs under power? negating the need for them at all ...

Just now, theDeanoRama said:

Have you considered having the ship parked at rest vs under power? negating the need for them at all ...

Hahaha that's an option too xD

love how this version looks over the Lego UCS, that said I have bricklinked parts from Ekaes parts list and awaiting their arrival.....It was unknown as to when Cjd223 would have these instructions available and will be much nicer to build from... Ekae did a great job but building from LDD isn't as enjoyable, imo. I'm in the process of comparing parts from Ekae and this one, Mortesvs, I don't think Ill build one of each rather then say take what I like from each and build one...for example Ekaes single support is nice. I had to use my UCS Venator for parts but look forward to building The Rebel Fleet.....

Has anyone found missing parts other then the half cylinders 6259 in the Bricklink parts list?

23 hours ago, Midlife-crisis said:

Seems it´s not possible to buy the instructions @ ebay.

"Seller can´t receive payments at the moment"

I believe @Cjd223and @mortesv are currently on their way to Alderaan. Something about a lawsuit between them and the Corellian Engineering Corporation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm in the process of costing up parts for this MOC (Still...... I know....... Full time shift work and two kids under three leaves zero spare time) and I'm finding part number 4032b Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Axle Hole - X Opening difficult to find in quantity, especially in AUS. Is there any reason 4032 Plate, Round 2 x 2 with Axle Hole can't be used instead?

1 hour ago, saxman717 said:

Does the parts list include parts needed for the stand that Mortesv uses in displaying the model?

It’s the trans clear pieces that are used for the stand which are in the parts list 

Finally got round to building mine. :sweet:

41775121041_751f131c27_b.jpg

First time I'd attempted something like this from PDF instructions, I did run into a few minor issues but most is that was because I've got 2 left hands the size of shovel heads.

Great fun to build and thanks to @Cjd223 for all his hard work on the instructions and to @mortesv for building it in the first place.

(also a shout out to @EKae and @ecmo47 for the LDD files that originally set me on my journey).

That's beautiful, any side shots? 

Any shots with comparison with other UCS sets/projects? :)

Beautiful model, just bought the instructions, ordered the bricks, can't wait to build it!

I've run into roadblock while building this model and can't figure out how move past.  On page 21 the instructions show the square column (built in the previous step) slipped onto the technic brick spine, but no matter how I approach the problem, even disassembling the column and building it piece-by-piece onto the spine, I cannot get it to fit.  The problem is the 15 modified 1x2 bricks with studs on 2 sides (52107) on the bottom side of the column that secure it to the technic spine leave no room to slide the spine into the column.  Is this an error in the instructions, or (more likely) am I missing some obvious technique?  Any insight from those who have already built this would be most appreciated.  

Step I am referring to:

lG6Dreq.png

Section cutaway in LDD:

ohFNkgl.png

Edited by pandazerg

5 hours ago, pandazerg said:

I've run into roadblock while building this model and can't figure out how move past.  On page 21 the instructions show the square column (built in the previous step) slipped onto the technic brick spine, but no matter how I approach the problem, even disassembling the column and building it piece-by-piece onto the spine, I cannot get it to fit.  The problem is the 15 modified 1x2 bricks with studs on 2 sides (52107) on the bottom side of the column that secure it to the technic spine leave no room to slide the spine into the column.  Is this an error in the instructions, or (more likely) am I missing some obvious technique?  Any insight from those who have already built this would be most appreciated.  

I can see why you cannot slide it on, but what is the issue when building it directly on the spine ?

In the instructions, the first stage of the column shows two identical bricks 1x2 with studs on one side, and then 15 with bricks with studs on 2 sides, which strikes me as a little odd. There might be a small hiccup there.

The spine as built from the instructions was one of the most frustrating parts of that build.  You will have to experiment with the placement of the bricks with studs on the side.  Some of the 4x4 plates with the open center weren't used because there wasn't an easy way to get the bricks with studs to line up with the plates attached too. 

Sorry can't be more help since I don't remember exactly how it was done.  :cry_sad:

@pandazerg

I have to be honest, I had the same issue with the above. 

To cut a long story short, I cheated.

I fitted the first set of plates, the first set of bricks and the second set of plates individually onto the shaft without the rest of the block, the second brick to go on the underside was excruciatingly tight but did go in with some force (which was when I decided to give up on the two sided bricks) and then changed the bricks with studs on both sides on the bottom part of the shaft to bricks with studs on 1 side only and slid the whole lot over the shaft (you do need to keep the ones on top of the build to keep the whole thing square on the shaft. It also doesn't matter what colour as you use as you won't see them when it's finished). The clutch between the first lot of bricks and plates and the remaining brick and plate assembly was strong enough to complete the build and as the bricks will eventually be held together with the plates that make up the top, bottom and side panels of the build it should hold okay (hasn't caused me any undue problems).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Bandit778
Additional information

Thanks for the responses.  I went with a solution similar to Bandit's, securing the two pieces together with a single 1x2 /w studs on two sides at the very end of the shaft, since as there is not much force trying to pull the back end of the ship off.  

And to try and clarify for AfolFree about building the shaft right onto the spine, the way that the shaft was designed made it so that the studs on 1x2 piece had to connect to both the technic spine, and the 4x4 plate /w 2x2 hole that fits on "top" of the 1x2, and since the two receiving pieces are at right angles to each other the studs cant fit in since the piece comes in at an angle to the two pieces.   Sorry, I know that this explanation is confusing, but I can't thing of a better way to explain it.  

Thank's again for the help and suggestions. 

42 minutes ago, pandazerg said:

Thanks for the responses.  I went with a solution similar to Bandit's, securing the two pieces together with a single 1x2 /w studs on two sides at the very end of the shaft, since as there is not much force trying to pull the back end of the ship off.  

And to try and clarify for AfolFree about building the shaft right onto the spine, the way that the shaft was designed made it so that the studs on 1x2 piece had to connect to both the technic spine, and the 4x4 plate /w 2x2 hole that fits on "top" of the 1x2, and since the two receiving pieces are at right angles to each other the studs cant fit in since the piece comes in at an angle to the two pieces.   Sorry, I know that this explanation is confusing, but I can't thing of a better way to explain it.  

Thank's again for the help and suggestions. 

It's actually quite clear, and makes sense !
I just bought the instructions myself so thanks for the feedback :)

Finally Done!

ZVVYqky.jpg

Aside from the one issue with the spine, this was a very fun build.  I'm really glad I discovered Mortesv's MOC before I pulled the trigger on the UCS Rebel Blockade Runner 10019 that I had been planning on getting; this version is much better looking IMO.

The only modification I will probably make at some point, will be to strengthen the connection between the main hull and the engine block to make it a bit less fragile; although I can understand why it was designed that way.  

Now to start saving up to build the Nebulon :)

Edited by pandazerg