Mesabi

[POLL] WTC Elites

Leg Types  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What colour works best?

• White!
    • Printed Tan!
    • Brown!
    • You don't need the WTC Elite! stick to the regular troops!

Hi Y'all, I'm working on some new soldiers for the WTC, called the WTC Elites. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do for parts.

37092503713_1cb316d30b_z.jpgWTC elites by North White, on Flickr

I just can't decide on the legs. Please vote, or add a comment talking about what you think of my Elite WTC soldiers.

From the given examples, I prefer the plain brown legs. Do you have some comparison pictures with the "regular" troops?

Hmm, I guess plain brown pants could go both ways. Either by adding uniformity, or by looking too monotonous. I think what way you see it is a very personal thing. The poll clearly favours the brown pants, so there is that.

I like those torsos better after seeing them a few times, and see that they can work in the era. However I would suggest adding backpacks, pauldron, epaulettes, feathers, or some such thing, to further incorporate them in the BoBs universe.

2 minutes ago, Sir Stig said:

I like those torsos better after seeing them a few times, and see that they can work in the era. However I would suggest adding backpacks, pauldron, epaulettes, feathers, or some such thing, to further incorporate them in the BoBs universe.

I very much agree with this. I think the WTC soldiers (both types - and I prefer the dark brown pants for the elites) are quite innovative, while still fitting, but a backpack or epaulettes could give them that extra little something. (And epaulettes in most colours can be acquired cheaply on Bricklink, I seem to recall)

Brown is good.  The other colors make the uniform too much like pajamas. :pir-look: :pir-grin:  Is it old brown?  Or dark brown?  I think dark brown would be really cool, but might be hard to find in quantity.  From the picture, it doesn't quite look like normal reddish brown.

Brown!! :grin:

Normally I like matching torso/leg combos, but the brown legs really go well with that top. The tan legs look too modern or something and the white just clashes to my eyes. But it might look different if they all had the same head or head color.

For your purposes I think brown is a great all-around choice. But to be "Elite" I agree with this idea:

1 hour ago, Sir Stig said:

They don't necessarily need all of that but anything would help.

And I like your creativity. I don't own that torso.

3 hours ago, Sir Stig said:

They're going to be equipped with brown pauldrons, and either backpacks or ninja sword holders. They will also have red feathers on their hats.

I decided on these legs because they're so much cheaper than brown legs. Hopefully it looks good...

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Edited by Mesabi

I don't mind the torso, and like the others have pretty much all said the brown pants look the best - the lone-ranger ones you've selected should work ok.

However what makes these guys elite? They look very much the same as your regular marines. Elite troops like everyone to know they are elite! IMO they need something distinctive that sets them apart from your regulars. Epaulettes have been suggested and they'd probably work - I'd go for red if you have any, although red are starting to get a bit expensive on BL since they haven't been released since the original 1989 pirate series.

If you're into designing troops, check out Cooper Read on Flickr (If you haven't already), he is one of my favourite army builders. He does a lot of modern (20th Century and above) stuff but also lots of Napoleonic era stuff like these guys:

33795404870_44324e53f7_n.jpg

Napoleonic Military by Cooper Reed, on Flickr

33523572902_f64606c387_n.jpg

Royal Navy and Marines by Cooper Reed, on Flickr

19 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

However what makes these guys elite? They look very much the same as your regular marines. Elite troops like everyone to know they are elite! IMO they need something distinctive that sets them apart from your regulars. Epaulettes have been suggested and they'd probably work - I'd go for red if you have any, although red are starting to get a bit expensive on BL since they haven't been released since the original 1989 pirate series.

If you're into designing troops, check out Cooper Read on Flickr (If you haven't already), he is one of my favourite army builders. He does a lot of modern (20th Century and above) stuff but also lots of Napoleonic era stuff like these guys:

I plan to give them brown epaulettes, and red feathers in their caps. They will also have backpacks, or sword holders, from prince of persia.

Honestly, they probably won't look too elite. I haven't decided how they'll play in the story. Either they'll be hyper competent, and the regular WTC will hate them for it, or they'll be totally or equally incompetent, and the joke will be how they're called the Elites, but they're useless.

Either way, I have 8 or nine of these torsos to play with, and 12 regular marines now, so I can at least boast the WTC has unique troops. That's better than any of the other trade groups in my very biased opinion. 

Thanks for sending me that resource. It was useful.

I do not think elite units have to look overly fancy. Yes, it is fitting for the time period the BotBS is imitating. Troops had to be easily identified on large-scale battlefields of yesteryear, so distinguishing the elites by serious bling was a good idea.

But "commando style" units - which I think the WTC Elites are supposed to be - can (and often should) look almost identical to regular troops. Some additional equipment and better weapons is all you really need.

Personally, I would prefer the "badass version". If you want to include some more comedy elements, you can either make their captain a clown, or let some regular troops do that job.

On 19/10/2017 at 10:17 AM, Ayrlego said:

I'd go for red if you have any, although red are starting to get a bit expensive on BL since they haven't been released since the original 1989 pirate series.

I confirm, the reds are really expensive on BL nowadays :hmpf_bad:. I don't even speak of the greenies *huh*

As others said, I think brown trousers are the best, but Lone Ranger's ones will work too. I like the idea of elite soldiers but, if I were you, I would use pink/yellow hands or black/dark brown gloves for your men and different hats for elites and regular infantry (for example, shako hat for the former, trihorn hat for the latter)

BoBS Era I Tag - Oleon - Silver - 50px.png

Edited by Keymonus