Bodi

[OL-FB] An old two-decker

Early in the morning, when most of people is still asleep, the imposing silhouette of a ship of the line slipped into the bay of Eltina. At her sight, the lighthouse guard, a veteran of la Royale, could not help but be moved, "Le Bruyant!" For a man who has served twenty years on board of this ship, we can not reproach him for being emotional. Le Bruyant threw the anchor and slowly, people began to gather around the pier, and they were curious about her archaic and unique appearence. "She must be quite old...look at those patches...why our honourable King sends us such an antiquity, our shipyards aren't working 24/24h to spawn new ships?"

I just can't refrain myself from building my own version of Silent Mary, hope you like it.:pir-grin:

IqTOPA.jpg

o9tIgg.jpg

Aaannnd an photo of interior for Count Mesabi.

Thanks for viewing.

C&C are welcome.

Vive le Roi!

Wow - that's quite an amazing ship. Fantastic work!

All I can criticize is the lack of minifigs, bu the ship itself is great!

Love it! :wub:  I much prefer this to the official Silent Mary. Of course, I'm a sucker for a galleon.

I really like how you gave it a weathered, patched and faded appearance. Well done! :thumbup: 

2 hours ago, Bodi said:

I just can't refrain myself from building my own version of Silent Mary, hope you like it.:pir-grin:

[Snip]

Aaannnd an photo of interior for Count Mesabi.

Fantastic Ship @Bodi it really captures the look of a sailing ship from the age of sail. The detailing is fantastic, and while it draws from the Silent Mary, it still has it's own look to it.

Thank's for the interior shot!

I've got to say though, she needs a crew, and a better story. Why is this old ship being recalled? Where is she going? Has she been refitted? 

Oh, and her stats?

She´s a beaty! Youve managed to capture the galleon style well and made it eve better by adding a second gundeck on her. Anyone would be proud to own her, she may be old, but she still kicks like a mule :pir-classic: 

Captain Becker

Finally finished! I LOVE it! That's how Silent Mary official set should have been! The stern in particular is really great! Now let's load it with proud Oleanders and let's plunder trade :tongue:

Yeeeeaaah!! Clearly the better Silent Mary :thumbup: And finally a worthy contender for the title of 'Oldest Big Bucket of the Brick Seas' :grin:

I'm absolutely adoring the looks!! :wub:

That stern...! :wub:  Great work with this, Bodi, those planks on the sides are great, and the Silent Mary's turrets are incorporated very well here too!  And of course, I can't fail to mention the ship's interior! :thumbup: :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

And finally a worthy contender for the title of 'Oldest Big Bucket of the Brick Seas' :grin:

:pir-laugh: :laugh:

Great looking ship!

Especially like the effort you put into making the sides a bit weathered, there's too many shiny ships on the seas!

12 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Wow - that's quite an amazing ship. Fantastic work!

All I can criticize is the lack of minifigs, bu the ship itself is great!

Glad you like it! There wasn't any minifig on the deck because it was late and the old blokes were sleeping.:pir-grin:

11 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Love it! :wub:  I much prefer this to the official Silent Mary. Of course, I'm a sucker for a galleon.

I really like how you gave it a weathered, patched and faded appearance. Well done! :thumbup: 

Thank you Capt Wolf! I share your opinion on the official set, the undamaged version of Silent Mary in the beginning of the movie is way better than the skeletical one, pity.

11 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Fantastic Ship @Bodi it really captures the look of a sailing ship from the age of sail. The detailing is fantastic, and while it draws from the Silent Mary, it still has it's own look to it.

Thank's for the interior shot!

I've got to say though, she needs a crew, and a better story. Why is this old ship being recalled? Where is she going? Has she been refitted? 

Oh, and her stats?

Thank you Mesabi! I used several components of the official sets, such as the towers, which were modded to incorporate in my ship, and the wheel and the clock.

She's not called the Silent Mary because I'm not sure if it's ok to name a moc after official sets. Neverthless, as we talk, I find the name Souverain is rather pompous for a class 7 ship, considering we have class 10 ship now.:pir-grin: I'll rather name her le Bruyant.

She's refitted and should join the colonial squadron based at Eltina.

Here's the stats:

Range 4, Maneuver 3, Firepower 8, Crew 6, Cargo 0, Hull 6

11 hours ago, Captain Becker said:

She´s a beaty! Youve managed to capture the galleon style well and made it eve better by adding a second gundeck on her. Anyone would be proud to own her, she may be old, but she still kicks like a mule :pir-classic: 

Captain Becker

Glad you like Captain Becker! Yes, she still can deliver some punches, with her 46 guns, 58 if we count the swivels on the towers.

10 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Finally finished! I LOVE it! That's how Silent Mary official set should have been! The stern in particular is really great! Now let's load it with proud Oleanders and let's plunder trade :tongue:

Thank you BD! The skeletal Mary can not satisfy us, the TLG should have gave us a real ship. 

10 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

yeah, that's an indiaman !

Yeah, an indiaman, noooooo, it's a warship!:cannon:

10 hours ago, Kolonialbeamter said:

Yeeeeaaah!! Clearly the better Silent Mary :thumbup: And finally a worthy contender for the title of 'Oldest Big Bucket of the Brick Seas' :grin:

I'm absolutely adoring the looks!! :wub:

Thank you KB! I think your Cog is way older, you are still in the lead.:pir-sweet:

8 hours ago, Garmadon said:

That stern...! :wub:  Great work with this, Bodi, those planks on the sides are great, and the Silent Mary's turrets are incorporated very well here too!  And of course, I can't fail to mention the ship's interior! :thumbup: :pir-grin:

:pir-laugh: :laugh:

Thank you Garmadon! This ship is based on the la Couronne, a french warship of 17th century, I got this idea from a post of the Potc thread, posted by Admiral Bejaune, I just checked it.:pir-grin:

8 hours ago, Puvel said:

Great looking ship!

Especially like the effort you put into making the sides a bit weathered, there's too many shiny ships on the seas!

Thank you Puvel, glad you like the weathering.

Wow Bodi, she is simply stunning! I love the detail on the stern... actually I love everything about this ship. Great work!!!!

Wow! What an impressive and beautiful ship! I wish I had both the skill and the parts to build something like that, but alas, I do have not.

Oleon is building up quite a fleet... :pir-look:

Strikingly beautiful curves, Bodi - a wonderful example of an early ship of the line, drawing direct lines to the galleons of yesteryear. I never seriously thought those towers could be implemented on a realistic ship, but you have very much proven me wrong. She is a stunner, while still looking historically realistic. :thumbup:

The stern and quarter galleries are very well made, and her proportions are all around spot on. I think some minifigs would ligthen up the whole scene, though, and agree that a bit more back story would be a big plus, but she is absolutely great.

The only true criticism is that your pictures appear to be too dark. I can't really make out the details in the rig. (What parts have you used for the topmasts? The poles themselves appear to be 2x2 round bricks, and the topgallants technic connectors, but I can't make out the topmasts. Also, the tumblehome: Is it achieved and supported by 1x2 hinges alone?)

Just now, Drunknok said:

I wish I had both the skill and the parts to build something like that, but alas, I do have not.

I am certain Bodi did not start at that skill level :pir-wink: And while the bricks is a true limit, don't worry about your skills! I feel like I build pretty reasonable ships now (can still improve), but I had to work my way up from very humble beginnings! My point is, if you want it, you can do it! :pir-blush: It's all about practice and experimentation. So just start building smaller ships, and aim for continously higher goals in terms of quality, realism, etc. You will swiftly see your skills improve, I am certain! (And of course, Corrington can always use more ships... :pir-tongue:)

15 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Strikingly beautiful curves, Bodi - a wonderful example of an early ship of the line, drawing direct lines to the galleons of yesteryear. I never seriously thought those towers could be implemented on a realistic ship, but you have very much proven me wrong. She is a stunner, while still looking historically realistic...

Yeah, pretty much what he said :thumbup: :grin:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

... She is a stunner, while still looking historically realistic. :thumbup:

The only true criticism is that your pictures appear to be too dark.

...What parts have you used for the topmasts? .

...the tumblehome: Is it achieved and supported by 1x2 hinges alone?)

I am certain Bodi did not start at that skill level :pir-wink: And while the bricks is a true limit, don't worry about your skills! I feel like I build pretty reasonable ships now (can still improve), but I had to work my way up from very humble beginnings! My point is, if you want it, you can do it! :pir-blush: It's all about practice and experimentation. So just start building smaller ships, and aim for continously higher goals in terms of quality, realism, etc. You will swiftly see your skills improve, I am certain! (And of course, Corrington can always use more ships... :pir-tongue:)

Thank you Bregir!

My photos are as bad as usual:grin:, the topmasts are made with technic connectors, except the cone brick on the very top, and connected to the prefab mast through two technic connector and 2 studs, and one 1x1 hollow brick.

The tumblehome is attached on the prefab hull via 1x2 hinge bricks, there are transversal plates attached on tumblehome with clips (the 1x1 plate with a minifig's hand thingy) and discontinued vertical walls on the upper deck to support the superstructure and the tumblehome. 

In fact, I've learned a lot of cool techniques from the Shipwrights guild thread, a true gold mine to any shipbuilder.:thumbup:

1 hour ago, kurigan said:

Yeah, pretty much what he said :thumbup: :grin:

Thank you kurigan.:sweet:

1 hour ago, Drunknok said:

Wow! What an impressive and beautiful ship! I wish I had both the skill and the parts to build something like that, but alas, I do have not.

Oleon is building up quite a fleet... :pir-look:

I agree with what Bregir said, keep building and stealing borrowing other's techniques.:pir-grin:

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Wow Bodi, she is simply stunning! I love the detail on the stern... actually I love everything about this ship. Great work!!!!

Glad you like it Ayrlego! 

Just now, Bodi said:

the topmasts are made with technic connectors, except the cone brick on the very top, and connected to the prefab mast through two technic connector and 2 studs, and one 1x1 hollow brick.

So, your topmasts are prefab masts? (The lower masts are attached to the hull, the topmasts to those, and the topgallant masts on top of the topmast.) :pir-wink:

Pff, don't you even know that the topmasts are not the topmost ones? :pir-wink: As if it wasn't perfectly logical! :pir-tongue:

Just now, Bodi said:

The tumblehome is attached on the prefab hull via 1x2 hinge bricks, there are transversal plates attached on tumblehome with clips (the 1x1 plate with a minifig's hand thingy) and discontinued vertical walls on the upper deck to support the superstructure and the tumblehome. 

Must take a lot of hinge bricks! How sturdy is the construction? I see you have your shrouds attached to the sides, so they must be made to withstand quite some force!

On my 4th rate WIP uses clips too, and it is surprisingly sturdy (although it has grown heavy like I don't know what...).

I have a small class 3 brig underway, and I can't find a good place for attaching the shrouds... :pir-sceptic:

8 minutes ago, Bodi said:

In fact, I've learned a lot of cool techniques from the Shipwrights guild thread, a true gold mine to any shipbuilder.:thumbup:

Agreed! And you are definitely at a skill level where you must share your tips! :pir-wink:

Just now, Bregir said:

So, your topmasts are prefab masts? (The lower masts are attached to the hull, the topmasts to those, and the topgallant masts on top of the topmast.) :pir-wink:

Pff, don't you even know that the topmasts are not the topmost ones? :pir-wink: As if it wasn't perfectly logical! :pir-tongue:

Must take a lot of hinge bricks! How sturdy is the construction? I see you have your shrouds attached to the sides, so they must be made to withstand quite some force!

On my 4th rate WIP uses clips too, and it is surprisingly sturdy (although it has grown heavy like I don't know what...).

I have a small class 3 brig underway, and I can't find a good place for attaching the shrouds... :pir-sceptic:

Agreed! And you are definitely at a skill level where you must share your tips! :pir-wink:

topmasts are not the topmost ones, I'm confused, so in fact topmast means the middle one and topgallant is the topmost one, aye.:pir-oh3: Let's start again, my topgallant masts are made from technic connector, except the topmost cone brick. My topmasts are indeed prefab ones.:pir-grin:

Yes, a lot of hinge bricks, and they cost a fortune.:pir_wacko: The sides are quite solide I think, able to withstand the force applied on them during the building and attachment of rigging. 

Now you mention it, I borrowed the idea of clips from you.:pir_laugh2:

A bit late but I needed to add my congratulations on a wonderful ship build.

11 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

A bit late but I needed to add my congratulations on a wonderful ship build.

Thank you Kwatchi! Glad you like it.