James Mathis

Two Swiss Alpine inspired trains designed with Pick a Brick

My own Alpine model trains inspired by Swiss rail Rhaetian, Glacier, and Bernina designed with LEGO(R) bricks.

My own Alpine model trains inspired by Swiss rail Rhaetian, Glacier, and Bernina designed with LEGO(R) bricks.

Thinking of a scenic winter wonderland MOC train under my Christmas tree. Built exclusively with elements from Shop at Home Pick a Brick, except for one piece, the transparent window inserts on the earth green passenger car which can be had at Shop at Home Bricks and Pieces service. So, if you like it, you could buy it and build it.

I caveat, that I haven't built these trains... yet, so I highly recommend that if you think you might try to build them, please critique the LDD lxf file and use your good critical judgement, make your own assessment and any changes you like or find necessary. If you do, it would be awesome if you followed up with your results both LDD lxf file and pics of the bricks.

you can see more pictures, the LDD files, and PDF part lists generated from the LDD instructions "HTML" instructions generator here at my Brickshelf account  

Inspired by Swiss Rhaetian Railway

Inspired by Glacier And Bernina Express

If you were to buy parts-- in full or to augment from your personal existing parts collections-- from Shop at Home to build a train, I wonder if you could notify them at time of purchase that the bricks are going toward this train build?

thanks for looking, maybe building, and possibly your own inspiration to design within the Pick a Brick palette.

James

Edited by James Mathis

The red passenger wagons: I might have an upgrade to the doors, so they swing open (nope, didn't work). I also might remove a set of doors, as it looks like I forgot that (some) panorama passenger cars such as these have doors only at one end of the carriage.

I've ordered up parts for the brown Rhaetian Railways "Baby Crocodile" Ge 6/6 and wagons, so I'll be able to test operations in a week or so. I bought all the parts from USA Shop at Home Pick a Brick for about US$260. I didn't buy the Power Functions train motor, IR receiver, battery pack, nor the trackside "snow scape". I bought parts for two (instead of three as in the images) St. Bernards. Oh, and I didn't buy any of the pictured minifigures. Also, the transparent clear window glass inserts for the green passenger car aren't available from PaB. Even though they are available via Customer Service Bricks and Pieces service, I forgot to order them. The green passenger car uses qty 11, and I think they're a little over US$1 each from Bricks and Pieces.

-James

Edited by James Mathis

These are both beautiful trains. It is very generous of you to share the files. Thanks.

I think they are both wonderful trains. I saw them at the FaceBook train page. I'm building the brown loco now, slowly, with the parts I have. Thanks again for sharing! Can't wait to see what you're up to next.

Just change the extension to pdf and you'll get a pdf you can open. It is probably Brickshelf making a txt file of a pdf, but it's still a pdf.

Love it, James! I'm still checking the pieces I've got for the brown one. When I have time, I will order the pieces for it. The rest of the material is great as well. 

One of my favorite Swiss train is the ABe 4/4. Maybe something for you to design to add to the Swiss collection. 

This is amazing :D 

Would you be able to list the parts to just the engine of the Glacier express? I downloaded the pdf you provided but it's for everything so I can't work out which bits I need for just the engine. 

I have designed my own carriages which are more retro but I've been struggling to convert the Heavy Hauler train into an appropriate engine but this looks perfect! 

On 3/27/2018 at 8:37 PM, laelius3 said:

This is amazing :D 

Would you be able to list the parts to just the engine of the Glacier express? I downloaded the pdf you provided but it's for everything so I can't work out which bits I need for just the engine. 

I have designed my own carriages which are more retro but I've been struggling to convert the Heavy Hauler train into an appropriate engine but this looks perfect! 

Very nice Swiss trains, with very fine details, great job.

I really like the brown swiss ... Unfortunately my rail line offers no electric service but i may borrow your car design for another project .... Well done ... They look good in brick