Darnok

The BotBS Plants Index

The BotBS Plants Index

1.) What is this thread about?

This thread is supposed to be a comprehensive collection of all plants that are known in the BotBS setting. It is meant as a reference for both IC and OOC background on these plants, as well as a collection of builds. So whenever somebody wants to grow a certain crop on a new plantation, there is a first point of reference to be found here.

2.) How will this be done?

I will collect a list of currently "available" plant builds and update them. Each entry in the list will link to a seperate post in this thread, which will provide the available details, as well as further links to posts and pictures using that build. If multiple build versions of a plant exist - sugarcane is a fine example - there will be links to all of them. This thread will always be work in progress, so do not hesitate to add suggestions or to discuss existing entries. The whole thing is not meant to be set in stone, but a continuous community effort.

3.) How can I help?

I appreciate any help given. Most helpful would be any bit of IC and/or OOC background you can provide, as well as links to as many builds for each plant as possible. You can also discuss build options not yet available, as well as talk about what kind of plants you think would be a nice addition.

Codex Plantarum - Plants in the Bricksea Lands

The Flora of Celestia

Spoiler

The first main challenge in Era II - "Celestia's Superb Orchid" - was centered around expeditions into the jungles of Celestia, exploring its flora and fauna, and looking for a mysterious orchid. To commemorate the plants players have "discovered", all of those are listed and linked below, credited with each builder respectively. These come both from the "flora" subcategory as well as the "superb orchid" category. All can be considered canon in the BotBS setting.

Edited by Darnok

Name: Sugarcane (Saccarum Officinarum)

IC background: Sugarcane is grown and harvested all over the Brickseas, with some of the biggest plantations to be found on Celestia. Corrington is known to grow sugarcane all over its colonies, supporting a thriving rum industry.

OOC background: Originally from East Asia, sugarcane has been cultivated there for over 2500 years already. It was later brought to the Middle East and the mediterrean area and provided most sugar for North Africa, Europe and theMiddle East. This changed when the so-called New World turned out to provide even better conditions for the sugarcane plant. From the 16th to the 19th century, the Carribean was the main producer of sugarcane and sugar.

A short overview over the plant and its uses can be found on the English Wikipedia, but the German Wikipedia article is much more in-depth.

Builds in BotBS:

Edited by Drunknok

Of course, I am bringing my 2 cents here concerning plants...

I have a particular interest in Apples, so, let's start with it !

Name : Apple (Malus Domestica)

IC background : Even though not the best fruit to grow in a tropical climate, it is common to see apple orchards in many Eslandola Settlements because of the main activity of the MAESTRO Trade Company. It is said it was Felipe de la Manzana who introduced the old world fruit in Nellisa and then in Berelli to secure some jungle areas. Now, the MAESTRO Company is developping its activity and even far settlements like Trador are hosting Apple Orchards.

OOC Background : 3rd fruit to be eaten in the world, 1st fruit in France, the apple is mainly associated to the forbidden fruit the snake offered to Adam and Eve in the Genesis. This fruit is mainly associated to the Original Sin.

Builds in BOBS :

Apple Orchard in elisabethtown (Faladrin)

Trador Apple Orchard (Maxim I)

Apples for MAESTRO (Kai NRG)

Edited by Faladrin

26288268456_6e355dce81_n.jpg

Name: Cacao Tree (Theobroma cacao)

IC background: The Cacao tree is famous for producing Cocoa beans, which of course are in turn used to produce chocolate. The trees grow in abundance on the island of Cocovia in the Sea of Thieves and Corlander entrepreneurs refined the bitter tasting drink that the natives of that place made from the fermented beans into the sweet treat that is so famous across the Brick Seas today. 

OC backgroundTheobroma cacao, also called the cacao tree and the cocoa tree, is a small (4–8 m (13–26 ft) tall) evergreen tree in the family Malvaceae, native to the deep tropical regions of Central and South America. Its seeds, cocoa beans, are used to make cocoa mass, cocoa powder, confectionery, ganache and chocolate. (from Wikipedia)

Builds in BoBS

Cocoa Plantation, King's Harbour (Ayrlego)

Edited by Ayrlego

36719363023_11bf4ce407.jpg

[Example of a small potato plantation]

Name: Potato (Solanum tuberosum)

IC background:

The Potato has a mostly unknown background. Thought to have been brought over from natives in the Easter Islands in the very early colonial period, potatoes have become the staple diet of many countries, most notably Corrington.

A prominent family in the world of potatoes is Clan Spud, of course, 'spud' being vernacular for 'potato'. This Northern-dwelling clan in Corrington have built up estates of potato farms and are now seeking to expand these plots Eastwards in the name of Her Majesty.

OOC background: The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial nightshade Solanum tuberosum. The word "potato" may refer either to the plant itself or to the edible tuber. In the Andes, where the species is indigenous, some other closely related species are cultivated. Potatoes were introduced to Europe in the second half of the 16th century by the Spanish. In 1845, a plant disease known as late blight, caused by the fungus-like oomycete Phytophthora infestans, spread rapidly through the poorer communities of western Ireland as well as parts of the Scottish Highlands, resulting in the crop failures that led to the Great Irish Famine(from Wikipedia).

Builds in BoBS;

Arlinsport Potato Plantation

Edited by Spud The Viking

This is going strong already, thanks for all the contributions so far! :thumbup:

Please note that I will repost your "datasheets" myself, possibly with some additional content. Each of yours will be linked to, this is not about taking anyones credit. But since I can only edit my own posts, and would like to have the option of adding to entries easily at a later point, I will have to post everything under "my name". I will make that clear in the FAQ section in the OP.

Keep it coming!

Edited by Drunknok

Name: Cotton (Gossypium Malvaceae)

IC background: Cotton is cultivated all over the Brickseas, with some of the biggest plantations to be found on An Toli, An Holli, Nellisa, and Ferro Azure. Eslandola is known to grow cotton all over its colonies, supporting a thriving textile industry.

OOC background: The earliest evidence of cotton use was in the Indian subcontinent, encountered by Greeks and Arabs through the wars of Alexander the Great, and further introduced to Europe through the Muslim conquest of Iberia and Sicily in the 12th century. Mexico and Peru also had a long history of cotton cultivation, and were wearing clothing made of it when the Spanish encountered them in the 16th century. For more from Wikipedia, see here.

Builds in BotBS:

Name: Peppers (Capsicum)

IC background: Peppers grow in the wild on some islands in the Brickseas. Not much is known about it so far. Some believe they are from the fire element rather than a fruit of the earth. It is rumored that there is great adversity in how spicy they are, but no one knows if it is just a matter of how they are prepared or individual perception of heat.

OOC background:  For more from Wikipedia, see here.

Builds in BotBS:

@Drunknok: I prefer that you take responsibility and aim to create a clean index. Here, take all my credits :thumbup: (not DBs or PiPs) :pir-laugh:

Edited by Sir Stig

Name: Corn (also: Maize; zea mays)

IC background: Corn is a common crop, used to bake thin bread, but mainly to feed animals. There are many more corn plantations in the old world than there are in the new world, yet still agriculture could hardly work without them.

OOC background:  For more from Wikipedia, see here.

Builds in BotBS:

@Drunknok: Great idea!

@Capt Wolf: Some more cotton (will delete once it's been added):

Also my introduction MOC to the Grand Road featured part of a cotton plantation: 

Edited by Elostirion

Name: Apple (Malus Domestica)

IC background: Even though not the best fruit to grow in a tropical climate, it is common to see apple orchards in many Eslandola settlements because of the main activity of the MAESTRO Trade Company. It is said it was Felipe de la Manzana who introduced the old world fruit in Nellisa and then in Berelli to secure some jungle areas. Now, the MAESTRO Company is developping its activity and even far settlements like Trador are hosting apple orchards.

OOC Background: 3rd fruit to be eaten in the world, 1st fruit in France, the apple is mainly associated to the forbidden fruit the snake offered to Adam and Eve in the Genesis. This fruit is mainly associated to the Original Sin. For a less mythological approach, there are actually two Wikipedia articles worth reading: one gives a good overview of the biology of different apple species, another one deals with the cultivated fruit, including sections about history, culture and myths - and of course cultivation! Apples are also the raw material for cider - again, the Wikipedia article includes local variations and festivities related to cider.

Builds in BotBS:

Other builds:

Datasheet compiled by Faladrin

Edited by Drunknok

26288268456_6e355dce81_n.jpg

Name: Cacao Tree (Theobroma Cacao)

IC background: The cacao tree is famous for producing cocoa beans, which of course are in turn used to produce chocolate. The trees grow in abundance on the island of Cocovia in the Sea of Thieves and Corlander entrepreneurs refined the bitter tasting drink that the natives of that place made from the fermented beans into the sweet treat that is so famous across the Brick Seas today. For more IC background, check Ayrlegos excellent cocoa plantation (link also below). 

OOC backgroundTheobroma cacao, also called the cacao tree and the cocoa tree, is a small (4–8 m (13–26 ft) tall) evergreen tree in the family Malvaceae, native to the deep tropical regions of Central and South America. Its seeds, cocoa beans, are used to make cocoa mass, cocoa powder, confectionery, ganache and chocolate. To find out more, check Wikipedia. Especially interesting are the sections about the history of cultivation and the mythology around cacao.

Builds in BotBS:

Datasheet compiled by Ayrlego

Edited by Drunknok

As much as I love this point of reference, why stop at plants? An index of animal husbandry would also be very useful. Maybe even an index of factory builds, commercial and artisan properties. I am not suggesting catagorise every single BotBS build in this one post but that would be very useful to use as inspiration/decision-making when building.

36719363023_11bf4ce407.jpg

[Example of a small potato plantation]

Name: Potato (Solanum Tuberosum)

IC background: The potato has a mostly unknown background. Thought to have been brought over from natives in the Easter Islands in the very early colonial period, potatoes have become the staple diet of many countries, most notably Corrington.

A prominent family in the world of potatoes is Clan Spud, of course, 'spud' being vernacular for 'potato'. This Northern-dwelling clan in Corrington has built up estates of potato farms and are now seeking to expand these plots eastwards in the name of Her Majesty.

OOC background: The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial nightshade Solanum tuberosum. The word "potato" may refer either to the plant itself or to the edible tuber. In the Andes, where the species is indigenous, some other closely related species are cultivated. Potatoes were introduced to Europe in the second half of the 16th century by the Spanish. In 1845, a plant disease known as late blight, caused by the fungus-like oomycete Phytophthora infestans, spread rapidly through the poorer communities of western Ireland as well as parts of the Scottish Highlands, resulting in the crop failures that led to the Great Irish Famine.

On Wikipedia, both the main article about potatoes as well as a seperate article about the history of the potato are worth reading.

Builds in BotBS:

Datasheet compiled by Spud The Viking

@Drunknok, I believe what those who shared their own information intended you to do is edit your previous post with it (giving proper citation, of course). Reposting the same information afterwards is quite redundant, even if you expand upon the original information. All entries should probably be done this way, with a simple update notification post when you do so.

On 17.10.2017 at 2:11 PM, Spud The Viking said:

As much as I love this point of reference, why stop at plants? An index of animal husbandry would also be very useful. Maybe even an index of factory builds, commercial and artisan properties. I am not suggesting catagorise every single BotBS build in this one post but that would be very useful to use as inspiration/decision-making when building.

Sure, why not? Apart from a comprehensive index, this is also meant to be a collection of building ideas and techniques - something the premade Lego animals do not need. But I can see a use for a collection of brickbuild animals, which can be tricky. I do not have the time for another index though.

As for buildings: in my opinion a Google search for a given concept often enough does the job.

On 17.10.2017 at 3:19 PM, gedren_y said:

@Drunknok, I believe what those who shared their own information intended you to do is edit your previous post with it (giving proper citation, of course). Reposting the same information afterwards is quite redundant, even if you expand upon the original information. All entries should probably be done this way, with a simple update notification post when you do so.

I think I understand your point, but disagree. Let me explain why I do it the way I do it.

The main reason for reposting is my inability to edit other peoples posts. That would be different if I was a mod on these boards - which I do not want to be. So to keep the index entries in the same style, and to update them whenever needed, each entry has to be under "my authority" in terms of user rights. It would be possible to let each contributor edit their entries as needed, but a lot of PM back and forth would be needed - an unnecessary process in my opinion.

The redundancy by multiple posts with (almost) the same content is only an issue for a consecutive read-through of this thread. If you use it as intended - opening the OP, click the link for what you are interested in, read that post - there is no redundancy. In terms of in-thread discussion it is - again, in my opinion - merely an issue of scrolling over a "double post".

I decided against one "monster post" full of all entries, because it would make finding specific things more difficult. You can link to specific posts in a thread, but not specific parts of a certain posts. This means that in a "monster post" you would have to scroll through a lot of text to get to the one point of interest for you. The way it is done now does not have this problem.

I hope this clears things up. I'm open for further discussion, but please understand that in this thread I will keep it the way I started it.

Name: Pepper (Piper Nigrum)

IC background: First introduced to the New World on Astrapi, pepper quickly became popular as a spice all over the Brick Seas. As a logical consequence, larger plantations were set up on Stéphanique. There the settlement of Lavalette has become the prime hub of peppercorn trade, with a promising future ahead.

OOC background: Not related to (but easily confused with) the chili pepper, "pepper" refers to the fruits of the peppercorn tree. It comes in many varieties. The most common one is the Black Pepper, but there are (among others) also white and green pepper. Pepper is native to South Asia and Southeast Asia, and has been used as a spice for over 4000 years already. For a great overview of the history of pepper, the history section of its Wikipedia article is a highly recommended read.

Builds in BotBS:

Name: Oat (Avena Sativa)

IC background: Grown all over the Brick Seas, oats are usually used to feed horses. Pigs also appreciate it. While some northern regions are known to use oats in their local dishes, it is not considered a speciality in many places.

OOC background: Most commonly used as livestock feed, oats are also nutrient-rich and considered healthy for humans. Do you want to know more?

Builds in BotBS:

Edited by Drunknok

Name: Cotton (Gossypium Malvaceae)

IC background: Cotton is cultivated all over the Brickseas, with some of the biggest plantations to be found on An Toli, An Holli, Nellisa, and Ferro Azure. Eslandola is known to grow cotton all over its colonies, supporting a thriving textile industry.

OOC background: The earliest evidence of cotton use was in the Indian subcontinent, encountered by Greeks and Arabs through the wars of Alexander the Great, and further introduced to Europe through the Muslim conquest of Iberia and Sicily in the 12th century. Mexico and Peru also had a long history of cotton cultivation, and were wearing clothing made of it when the Spanish encountered them in the 16th century. For more from Wikipedia, see here.

Builds in BotBS:

Datasheet compiled by Capt Wolf

Edited by Darnok

I have collected all (I hope) "plant entries" from the Superb Orchid challenge and added them to the OP under their own section. Where available, I used the "scientific" plant names chosen by the builders. If I missed anything, please let me know.

Name: Millet

paxsQof.jpg

IC background: Not much is known about millet cultivation in the Old World, but the millets resistance to harsh conditions and dry climates should make it a wide-spread crop all over the Southern Kingdoms. Most islands in the New World offer conditions suitable to other more profitable plants, so millets are rarely grown there. One notable exception is Argentia, which is characterised by its arid climate and sandy ground - not a lot of things grow there, but the millet does. As a result, millet plantations are a common sight around Mesabi Landing.

OOC background: Millets have been important food staples in human history, particularly in Asia and Africa. They have been in cultivation in East Asia or the last 10,000 years. Millets are a group of small seeded grasses, widely grown around the world as cereal crops, grains for fodder, human food and to brew a variety of alcoholic beverages. The crop is favored due to its productivity and short growing season under dry, high-temperature conditions. (Mostly quoted from the Wikipedia article. For more details, especially on history and the most important millet variants, see there).

Builds in BotBS:

Edited by Drunknok