Sign in to follow this  
altnet

Missing LDD decals in LeoCAD

Hi

Over the course of the past month I've been learning the basics of LDD, LeoCad and Blender to make a Minifig portrait of friends.

My first attempt turned out pretty good, so I've decided to do some more for other friends and family.

I use LDD to make the models, then export to LeoCad to tweak and then export to Blender to render the final image.

The first couple have gone okay, but I've hit a problem that I can't get around.

I've searched the web and mostly this forum but as a novice I may be looking in the wrong place.

Exporting from LDD there are some pieces that are not in the LeoCad library. I've tracked down some pieces and added to my library successfully, but it seems some head and torsos are missing and I can't find them anywhere.

(See image below)

How can I get around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Image missing. You should use an external site to store your images and then link them.)

It’s true, there’re lots of missing patterns in LDraw (the library of parts LeoCAD uses). There also are missing shapes. The LDraw community welcomes volunteers :wink:

As for matching decorations/patterns, it’s not easy, especially because some of LDD’s decorations are awful: they lack details or are simply not really looking like the real ones.

There’s also a lot of decorations that exist in real life and are missing in LDD. Some of them exist in LDraw. There’s no perfect tool….

Second torso (classic space) is 973p6j.dat and third torso (sweatshirt with pocket) is 973p7j.dat.

lxf2ldr should convert both of them correctly.

If you download the ldraw.xml from the other thread in this forum and copy it to where your LeoCAD library is (c:\Program Files\LeoCAD by default, or something like c:\Ldraw if you have a custom library) then it will use the more up to date version and convert more patterns than the default installation does.