Murdoch17

2-6-0+0-6-2 (Double Mogul) Garratt-type steam locomotive - real world MOC

This steam locomotive is a 2-6-0+0-6-2 Double Mogul (Garratt-type) steam engine. This type of wheel configuration was built for use on railways in South America, Australia, Africa, and England in at least six different track gauges, according to Wikipedia. None were built for use in North America like my model is supposed to be, but I'm ignoring that fact. :wink:

37699073081_aef02921b5_z.jpg

The engine I have made traces it's lineage to a model originally designed by Anthony Sava as a 4-6-0+0-6-4 but with fake pistons and with small-size friction bearing wheels. I added Big Ben Bricks medium flanged and blind driving wheels for use with the working pistons. The very inspirational original Sava engine is available for purchase in PDF instructions format at Mr. Sava's official Bricklink store here.

37699073331_5708c3cc24_z.jpg

Even with the added pistons, the engine easily can go around corners and switches quite easily. I did have to add two weight bricks for the pistons to grip the rails sufficiently to move instead of scrapping along the track like they were before. The engine also features a nicely decorated cab with plenty of printed tiles. (The letters BRS are the initials of my fictional railroad: Brick Railway Systems.)
37650695776_6973efb8a5_z.jpg

I got this picture from Google as an example of how close my LEGO Garratt engine is to the real deal. (I couldn't find a "real" picture of this specific type, but I know it exists according to Wikipedia. So this O gauge model of it will have to do...)

As usual, I have a color-matched train in the works that this engine is to pull. To see the Maintenance of Way crane train's topic click this link. Please let me know if you have any comments, questions, suggestions or complaints.

Thanks for looking at my model!

EDIT 10/16/17: I edited the engine by extending the boiler four studs. The pictures have also been updated as well.

Edited by Murdoch17

19 hours ago, Goldenmasamune said:

It looks great! 

Thank you! i just finished editing the engine by extending the boiler four studs. (The pictures have also been updated as well.)

It remains a strange configuration for a steam locomotive, but interesting nonetheless.
Nice job recreating one. Looks great overall. I only feel the boiler could be rounder, but that's just my personal taste.

Edited by Man with a hat
typo

On 10/18/2017 at 2:17 AM, Man with a hat said:

It remains a strange configuration for a steam locomotive, but interesting nonetheless.
Nice job recreating one. Looks great overall. I only feel the boiler could be rounder, but that's just my personal taste.

Thanks. It is a strange one, but I feel drawn to unusual, one-off, or failed types of locos. This type certainly fits the bill of an odd loco!

I would also agree about the boiler, but then again, all my 1920's types share this boiler, which was inspired by the Lone Ranger engine. It gives them a sense of the same trademark styling, if you will. I did however, add a second dome to the loco boiler.

Edited by Murdoch17