Sign in to follow this  
lostcarpark

[MOC] Freighter Wars: YT-1210 The Canary

I'm sure you're all bored of YT variants by now, but here's my entry to Freighter Wars on Rebrick.

37636624961_f6597efee9_z.jpg
Freighter Wars: The Canary by James Shields, on Flickr

The Royal Andelussian Navy had long used Corellian Freighters for a variety of roles, and was quick to place a large order for the newly launched YT-1210. However, when this line was quickly superseded by the YT-1300, rumours were rife that the YT-1210 line was defective. These were denied by the Corellian Engineering Corporation, but it wasn't enough to stop the Andelussian admiralty cancelling the undelivered order and selling off their entire fleet of the model, before the navy engineers had even finished painting in the distinctive yellow and black Andelussian livery.

37604039852_28c6e970c2_z.jpg

Relations were strained with the Corellians, but eventually the situation was defused, and the Andelussian navy received a substantial discount on an order of YT-1300s.

37604040092_61deaaf43d_z.jpg

The sold off 1210s gave many freebooters a very capable freighter at a substantial discount, and it was very common for them to be customised by their new owners, but few bothered to change the hodge podge of Andelussian markings.

36965258113_b410321b56_z.jpg

I've been thinking of this ship for a build for several years, so the competition was a good chance to get on with it. I hope to eventually rebuild with a detailed interior and finish off bits I didn't have time for.

37604039742_e391688950_z.jpg

Let me know what you think. I'd love opinions on it.

Whoa, this one is radically different in so many ways! :oh:

Of course, the yellow and black striping/checkering can't help but remind me of Classic Space bumblebee accenting; and the lack the usual forward pointing prongs, which the Falcon would otherwise have, give this freighter a saucercraft like shape. Now those thrusters, those are the best part of this creation, their rounded shaping is excellent! :thumbup:

Awesome! I wish I had had the time to compete in this contest, but this is definitely one of the best entries I have seen! Great model, it looks incredible! I love the smooth saucer shape, though I feel like some more greebles around the outside might be in order. The engine pods are sleek as heck, they look wonderful. :thumbup: Best of luck to you!

This model is great. I love the look of it - so like the Falcon, but so different. I enjoyed the backstory, and I appreciate the time, effort and attention to detail that's gone into building this.

One thing I especially like is the docking rings. Thank you for sharing the breakdown on flickr - I'm always looking for ways to modify my own hunk of junk, and these look great. Did you design them as drop-in replacements for the 2017 UCS?

Fantastic freighter, loving the black and yellow stripes the detailing is great too! I reckon your chances of winning are pretty high! ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone! 

@ScottishDave: I haven't yet figured out how to integrate the docking rings into either version of the UCS Falcon, but hope to put together some instructions later, hopefully for both versions.

The thing I liked about the ship is that it's similar enough to the Falcon to be familiar, but different enough to be distinctive, and I've wanted to build one since I came across it in SW lore. I hope to improve it after the competition and eventually turn into a display model.

James