Ming

2000AD Lego builds

Hey all,

My two sons (seven and eight) are accumulating insane amounts of Lego these days and now and again they agree to share with me…  Anything I get to build is just from whatever bricks are lying around; a fun challenge but involves some compromises between what I want to do and what I’m able to achieve with what we have.  Nothing I’ve made has been perfect but we all have fun with these, which is what really counts.

Anyway, I’ve focused on builds relating to the classic UK comic 2000AD, which I’ve read since I was a kid.  Lego is a great way to introduce the characters and stories involved and to the boys and we sit and build and tell stories along the way.  I’m definitely not a hard-core builder; this is first and foremost a fun activity and some of the things I do are extremely simple and stupid (and these are often the most satisfying).

I’ll share a few things we’ve made over the past four years - starting with my take on Mick McMahon’s classic Pat Wagon design from the Judge Dredd Block Mania story…

suiIFJ2.jpg     ilc3Cod.jpg

t6X4DvB.jpg     Xh0yDZP.jpg

The original inspiration:
PVuv9JJ.jpg

One of the boys was given a Brickheadz figure for his birthday recently and it got me thinking...  I had a quick go at Mean Machine a couple of days later then turned my attention to Rogue Trooper.  Next up was Kano from the Future War classic Bad Company (Pete Milligan, Brett Ewins and Jim McCarthy).  I've also done Judge Fear and Slaine so far; I've got a few more to try and get done as and when the boys let me have the bricks I need - given an infinite supply of Lego I'd do these all day long.  Of all the 2000AD-related Lego things I've done these are definitely among the most enjoyable.  Probably my favourite 2000AD Lego thing so far...  

tAc8D6E.jpg

A few more recent 2000AD figures - none of them perfect but all a lot of fun to do.  None of these are really planned out, just built as I go with input from the boys and using whatever bricks are to hand.  I realise that 2000AD is definitely a niche interest but having seen at least some Rogue Trooper and Dredd Lego builds on here I figure there might be some interest here.  Maybe.

Judge Dredd

1u7BR3N.jpg

gUa4hlM.jpg

“Gaze into what, creep?”

japJgdw.jpg

Slaine

4M8nmEf.jpg

Strontium Dog: Johnny Alpha & Wulf Sternhammer (complete with his Happy Stick and Gronk-fur coat)

tRKv5X5.jpg

“Who the hell’s gonna mess with us?”

dTZjVc2.jpg

You're right! These are fun!

I'm unfamiliar with the comic but they look good to me, and I imagine the bonding time spent with your children is priceless!

Here's one from a couple of years back - based on a scene from a classic Judge Dredd story, Cry of the Werewolf.  Short version: a colony of werewolves is living in an abandoned city-beneath-a-city.  Attacks in the city above lead to Dredd having to descend and take care of lupine business.  Cue renegade robots and general werewolf mayhem...  The scene with a train full of robots, with the werewolf leader chained to the front, has always been a favourite of mine.  A fun build and a fun tale for the boys (all of us).

sSQtdm9.jpg

M8GWfgu.jpg

Thanks for the kind words :)

I've done a few more characters in this style - a bit of a challenge to nail the essence of the characters in a fairly small size but they're a lot of fun to do.  Here's the classic pair of Nemesis the Warlock and his arch-enemy Torquemada, Grand Master of Termight (in phantom form).

DHvxfnQ.jpg

obOKxsf.jpg

U3Svgbb.jpg

MxAw78m.jpg

Nemesis especially is a character that I just didn’t think I’d be able to do justice, but I’m pretty happy with these.  Took a bit of tinkering and combining Stud.io with trying things out with physical Lego to see what works and how things would look.  Have a few more done and some others I'm working on...

WOW! Simply WOW :)

Memory flood. Thanks for sharing.

Halo Jones, Rodice, Brinna, Toy and Toby? Oh, not to forget Nobody :(

Ditto! Love your Judge Dredd Brickhead (I thought it's simply best out of all official and unofficial brickhead I saw so far). Can't wait to see your build/take on Rogue Trooper (blue solider) and some from ABCs warriors! :) 

Thanks for all the kind words, folks.  I've done a few more of these lately and they're still a lot of fun...  There'll be more to come, I'm sure.

Judge Anderson
qfmi5YU.jpg

Slough Throt (from Slaine)
3NorV2C.jpg

Chief Judge Cal and Judge Fish
horQeC8.jpg

Uncle Ump
gHlhPCC.jpg

I have to say that I thought Judges Caligula and Fish were fantastic. 

Until I spotted Nemesis the Warlock and Torquemada - be pure, be vigilant... behave!

I've been chipping away at a few more classic 2000AD characters lately; these are just too much fun.  After designing these in Stud.io I've ordered all the necessary parts via Bricklink so we'll be building these in the next week or so with a bit of luck.  Pretty happy with how these have turned out - not the easiest character designs out there but impossible for me to resist...

D.R. & Quinch

l8QA24j.png

Ace Trucking Co. (GBH (Dead), Ace Garp and Feek the Freek)

UA0pTpP.png

Edited by Ming

Hey bub, you inspired me to make Brickheadz of the Dredd and Anderson from the latest movie. I really like the massive chin on your Dredd, but I had to tone it down on mine lol

6 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

Hey bub, you inspired me to make Brickheadz of the Dredd and Anderson from the latest movie. I really like the massive chin on your Dredd, but I had to tone it down on mine lol

Great stuff; there's a lot of fun to be had with these characters!  I'd love to see how your Dredd & Anderson turned out; any pics to share?

15 hours ago, Ming said:

Great stuff; there's a lot of fun to be had with these characters!  I'd love to see how your Dredd & Anderson turned out; any pics to share?

More-or-less finished with these now...  Not quite sure which characters I'll take on next; will put my feet up for a while first I think.

vMVkuLz.jpg

hdy0wdE.jpg

I’ve been chipping away at a few more classic 2000AD characters lately, just getting the designs down digitally before moving on to the physical builds.  The ABC Warriors were always a favourite of mine - such great characters and although I doubted I’d be able to manage these at this scale I’m fairly happy with how they’ve turned out so far…

Blackblood
kwq9R4y.png

Mongrol
NcxoKa5.png

Joe Pineapples
SU2TYDB.png

Deadlock
VVmeMdk.png

Hammerstein
ST5kmwg.png

(Five of the) Meknificent Seven…
mIMAgWX.png

An overview of some of the 2000AD characters done in this style so far...  There are a few others that I built before I started designing in Stud.io, plus a few more to come.  Looking at the group shot really drives home what a varied and iconic bunch of characters have been dreamed up at the House of Tharg :)

rc19JYf.png

On 6/27/2020 at 8:32 PM, scottypavarotti said:

I just found this topic. These are great. Do you have a close up shot of Rogue Trooper?

Here’s Rogue - so you can see the front and back, plus Gunnar:

oBVYhSc.png

I also did some biochip transfers for the 2x1 tiles, which worked out pretty well:

EMTyTUz.jpg
oN8UPTI.jpg

14 minutes ago, Ming said:

Here’s Rogue - so you can see the front and back, plus Gunnar:

oBVYhSc.png

I also did some biochip transfers for the 2x1 tiles, which worked out pretty well:

EMTyTUz.jpg
oN8UPTI.jpg

These are fantastic! I’m a big Rogue fan. I don’t suppose you consider making the transfer files available, would you? Thanks!

16 hours ago, scottypavarotti said:

These are fantastic! I’m a big Rogue fan. I don’t suppose you consider making the transfer files available, would you? Thanks!

Absolutely - I made the design in Adobe illustrator, with a sheet of the biochips (for Helm, Gunnar and Bagman) ready for printing on decal paper, so I can send you a .pdf if you let me have an email address.  You might need to print it on paper first to tweak the final size (can't remember what the final % print size was unfortunately).  I also have the Stud.io file I used to design Rogue if you want that...

8 hours ago, Ming said:

Absolutely - I made the design in Adobe illustrator, with a sheet of the biochips (for Helm, Gunnar and Bagman) ready for printing on decal paper, so I can send you a .pdf if you let me have an email address.  You might need to print it on paper first to tweak the final size (can't remember what the final % print size was unfortunately).  I also have the Stud.io file I used to design Rogue if you want that...

Thanks! Message heading your way.

I appreciate it.