I briefly got back into building this year, but recently have taken interest in the world of RC and have started a custom project. Because of this as well as a busy college schedule, I've been thinking of parting with my collection, and I'm not sure what is the best way to approach this.

1. Do I part out items and sell separately? I have already taken my most expensive items and made listings on BrickLink at a competitive price, but the vast majority of my collection is still on the shelf in sorted, wall-mounted containers.
  2. Do I sell in bulk? It seems to be the fastest way to sell large amounts of pieces, but often go for cheap and with random pieces, whereas I have neatly sorted according to color and/or part type.
  3. Change my mind and hang onto it? It's been a big part of my younger years, but my interests have changed and I find myself after performance and reliability in my projects, something that can only be done with metal.
  4. Are there people out there who snag entire inventories?

I think BrickLink would be the most lucrative option as I need the money for this new project, but would also take a long time to sell everything, or at least my most valuable items. The rest can be sold in bulk, especially non-Technic pieces. 

Is there anyone here that has gone through the same process? I'd be interested to hear your stories.

Edited by z3_2drive

13 minutes ago, z3_2drive said:

Are there people out there who snag entire inventories?

Depends on what you got, post some pictures or PM me. I am always looking to expand inventory.  

25 minutes ago, z3_2drive said:

Change my mind and hang onto it? It's been a big part of my younger years, but my interests have changed and I find myself after performance and reliability in my projects, something that can only be done with metal.

Try to hold your resolve, you will want them back. Do you have any motors though?

Only motors I have left are two buggy motors with some scuffs/scrapes from outdoor use that still run great, and a servo motor with a broken case clip. Most of my expensive items are from suspension/drivetrain parts that are becoming more rare. Have a bunch of wheels, plenty of liftarms, frames, axles, panels, general Technic pieces as well as a drawer full of non technic bricks and plates. I can post pictures tomorrow for those interested.

Edited by z3_2drive

4 hours ago, z3_2drive said:

Change my mind and hang onto it? It's been a big part of my younger years, but my interests have changed and I find myself after performance and reliability in my projects, something that can only be done with metal.

Store them somewhere dark and cold. Who knows someday you'll have kids and trust me, it will be big fun to build together with them. Even when most parts have become obsolete. I'm happy I still have my Technic collection from the 80's. It got my kids started with Technic and that, in tun, got me out of my dark age.

Edited by Didumos69

If the topic starter has decided to sell, the advice in the topic should be how best to sell. Not, whether to maybe not sell after all. And even if the topic starter is only thinking of selling, then still, noone on this community can judge the sentiment of the topic starter. Whether to sell, is up to only one person - the topic starter.

But if you happen to have kids in the future, there will be Lego to rebuy then which will be new and up-to-time, so this can't be a reason to hold on to stuff you don't want anymore. Having a large amount of Lego lying around unused seems like a waste to me. I sold about 15,000 pieces or so a few years ago. I sold it all at once to another AFOL with a Bricklink store. That way, the store owner had a bit more inventory, and people who buy there can enjoy those pieces. This was the least time-intensive way for me to get rid of it. I think I got about 5 cents a piece, which I found very reasonable given most was used, and huge quantities of it was common Technic axles and pins (there were also rare pieces, like Train rails or City road baseplates). Putting it on Bricklink would have gotten me more profit probably, but I would probably still have had those pins lying around and it would have cost me a lot of time (and I would have had complaints all over because most of it was more used than what is common on Bricklink). I chose time over money (having a store is not my hobby). What someone else chooses over what, is something they can only decide themselves.

@Erik Leppen, welI, I did not intend to decide for the topic starter with my response. I just shared what came to my mind. The topic starter indicated some doubt by listing 'change my mind' as one of his options.

Edited by Didumos69

Do not get me wrong, I also say keep your stuff, store it away because you will want to get it out again sometime. BUT, if you do want to sell, I may be interested. 

If you're definitely going to sell, and thinking of doing so here on EB, I believe the best place to do so is the Buy, Sell and Trade forum: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/forum/16-buy-sell-trade-and-finds/

I'm not entirely sure of the rules and regulations over there, but it's something else to consider.

Edited by ColletArrow
Changed link

I think if the interest comes back, I will buy sets or pieces again when/if that time comes. Right now I’m building an RC car from the ground up, so I need the space and $$ to support it. Selling all at once to a collector or BL store seems like the best idea, not sure where to advertise such an offer, though. In the sell/buy forum on EB?

EDIT: saw the latest reply. Seems like it’s worth making a post there.

My collection is decent but not massive, as I was more of a BrickLink buyer than a set buyer. Everyone will get their chance here, haha. I will post pictures here and answer PMs when I will be at home in roughly 3 hours. Thanks for the replies everyone :classic:

10 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I sold about 15,000 pieces or so a few years ago. I sold it all at once to another AFOL with a Bricklink store. That way, the store owner had a bit more inventory, and people who buy there can enjoy those pieces.

Did you find them here on EB? I agree, letting someone else sell or use these parts is much more in the spirit of LEGO than holding onto them without using them.

12 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Of course first come, first serve :tongue::thumbup: 

Sure thing :wink: :tongue:

Edited by z3_2drive

posting your bricklink would also be helpful, I would personally rather buy directly from the supplier than through a 3rd party website.  

My BrickLink of course if someone decided to buy all inventory i would freeze the store and remove all entries. 

[UPDATE] Buggy motors were sold on BrickLink!

here are some photos:

0190ccabefb6e0dc12517f005d011233a80f4b17

01dbebec8bf0a4b9c47eb456dd96c59fc1e0023e

01609dbe9807c0c840b4ed20bb85fa3f10f61b1b

011998aab1bec31a98a8116e6481bfcfbfc4ce4f

01ba4f67ed0c963dbecdfc98505d025242cb7a99

a box of wheels/tires, and if you noticed, some 3rd party tires and 3d printed wheels, also one of my containers has some 3d printed Technic parts^^

I sold some tires, here are the remaining notable ones:

017b113a2f5aeffe439b9fe2f370c2780f3e86be

And a some small wheels and tires:

0158fd233f7e28aa4ca72786e05b5672e1807531

An entire car frame full of black Technic bricks, Technic box frames, plates, liftarms, and bionicle ball joint pieces that I have yet to disassemble:

015a7275a698e6e57dd2177b72dac9eaaaed891f 

Normal bricks, plates, and a bag full of smaller unique pieces and minifigure parts/attachments:

0115c8b53852824601db6cbe23bc76ebd0e90a99

Some more Technic parts that need to be disassembled, a bag of older Technic bricks and pieces from a old buggy set, and the last 2 of my buggy motors:

01522b3ce6f786d773654fc044bf754533d166a5

^buggy motors were just sold on BrickLink^

Edited by z3_2drive

I remembered some sets I purchased as I built my collection. The two largest that I have the most parts from are the 8053 Mobile Crane and the 7662 Trade Federation MTT (large Star Wars droid carrier from 2007). Would it be more profitable to build these models up and sell them? (no box or instructions)

I might consider building them again after seeing their value. Hopefully I still have everything. PM'd each of you.

OMG! 

I'm willing to buy if the prices are good and the shipping is cheap :)

Can we negotiate on a PM?

Edited by MattL600

I'm also interested because there is always not enough of  Lego, but unfortunately shipping to Belarus from USA will cost too much :cry_sad:

So I rebuilt two of the valuable sets from my collection, sold some individual parts, and now I am still left with the majority of my collection, so I decided to create bulk lots ranging from 6 ounces to over 3 pounds based on part type or color.

This seems to be a method that works, proven by the hundreds of ebay transactions I've seen :laugh:

The list is as follows:

• T̶e̶c̶h̶n̶i̶c̶ ̶C̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶-̶ ̶2̶ ̶l̶b̶  - SOLD
  • Black Liftarms - 1 lb 12 oz - $18
  • Red Liftarms - 10 oz - $5
  • Orange Liftarms - 6 oz - $3
  • Yellow Liftarms - 11 oz - $5
  • DBG/DG Liftarms - 11 oz - $5
  • LBG Liftarms - 13 oz - $10
  • White/VLBG Liftarms - 8 oz - $4
  • Pneumatic Parts (I modified 2/3 cylinders into heavy duty shock absorbers) - 3 oz - $6
  • Treads and Sprockets (includes 260 large DBG treads) - 1 lb - $10
  • Technic Engine Parts (cylinders/cams/pulleys/blocks etc) - 8 oz - $6
  • Technic Bricks/studded box frames 3lb 4 oz - $24
  • Assorted Plates and Bricks - 2lb 10 oz - $15
  • Thin liftarms with axle holes - 7 oz - $3.50
  • Bionicle Limbs, Chest Pieces, useful in Technic - 1 lb 9 oz - $14
  • Bionicle Joints/Connectors/etc - 1 lb 10 oz - $16
  • Assorted Plates and Studs - 1 lb - $7
  • Technic Pins (including roughly 500 black pins) - 1 lb - $5
  • Technic Axles (including custom made metal axles), Bushings, Axle Pins - 1 lb 13 oz - $16
  • Technic Gears/turntables and Transmission parts - 1 lb 2 oz - $15
  • Assorted Minifig parts (including chrome) and small pieces - 9 oz - $5
  • Old Technic Panels - 7 oz - $4
  • 5x11 and 3x11 Technic Panels (27 total) - 7 oz - $15
  • Suspension/Steering/Drivetrain parts - 1 lb - $20
  • Parts from set 8840 - 8 oz - $3
  • Assorted Wheels and Tires - 3lb 6 oz - $20
  • LBG 5x7, 5x11, and H Frames - 7 oz - $12
  • Flex Axles - 4 oz - $5
  • Modern Technic Panels - 10 oz - $8
  • Thin Liftarm L Frames - 5 oz - $3
  • Tubing (pneumatic and decorative) - 3 oz - $3
  • Random Parts/pullbacks/netting/mindstorms spheres - 1 lb 3 oz - $11
  • 3D Printed Lego parts - 3 oz - $6

Shipping: This is within the USA and may vary slightly based on specific location (items that are 12-14 oz jump to priority shipping costs when packaging is included)

0-5 oz: $2.70 (first class)

4-7 oz: $3.00 (first class)

8-11 oz: $4.00 (first class)

12-27 oz: $7.00 (priority)

28-43 oz: $8.00 (priority)

44-59 oz: $9.00 (priority)

orders 3-4lb+ may be shipped via fedex if it's cheaper. *The more lots/order the more cost effective the shipping is*

Photos in this Brickshelf Gallery (now public) Link

Edited by z3_2drive

You can PM me for a direct transaction, would be best so I can avoid dealing with ebay fees. Over the next couple days i will put listings on ebay unless i get offers for them sooner. When I add them I will link it here.

4 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Cool! Where can we find these bulk lots for sale?

Edited by z3_2drive