Sir Stig

[AMRCA - Sir Stig] Old Aquaintances

"Are you alright?"

Victor Servadac opened his eyes. An Oleon man were holding his arm and trying to catch his gaze.

37624093911_67d580668c_z.jpg

"Oh, yes, thank you. I got a little dizzy, that's all", Victor excused himself. He was getting these spells more often lately. The Oleon made sure the old man was able to stand on his own two peg legs, and asked twice if there was anything more he could assist with. Victor respectfully thanked, but insisted that he could manage from here on, and the young man departed. He missed Granoleon. All the grandiose inspiring building details in stone. It was hard to come by good quality stone out here in the colonies. More money in bananas they say. But how can you value edibles over art that are built to last for centuries, spreading ideas and beauty for generations to come. I guess it comes down to how hungry you are. 

He had just visited the new ambassadeurs arriving from the Oleon based RNTC. Major Alkurda had made sure the build was properly decorated and any red flowers were trimmed away before the visitors arrived. Hopefully they would appreciate it as an invitation and not a bribe.

Sweat ran down his forehead as he steadied himself. He was tired and felt the last year had been draining. But it was not time to rest yet. The White Glove Order had summoned him for a meeting. The first one since his initiation. He had been drunk that night, and to this very day still did not know what it was all about. Just how about all it was, Victor Servadac was about to find out...

Spoiler

Victor had aged visibly in the last year and a half. Here is his introduction.

Edited by Sir Stig

Nice build @Sir Stig! The siding is really well done. But reading this I have no idea what your mission is....

NIce build, and an interesting opening to your story. As @Mesabi hinted at, you should make it clear what the Order and Victors motivation related to it are all about, in the next part of the story. So far I just want to know how it is going on!

Just now, Mesabi said:

Nice build @Sir Stig! The siding is really well done. But reading this I have no idea what your mission is....

I guess I don't really know how the adventure MRCA works, so I will wait for the result and take it from there. I guess I am taking some kind of Odyssey variety.

Just now, gedren_y said:

The flag being flown upside down is also suspicious.

Douze points!

14 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

NIce build, and an interesting opening to your story. As @Mesabi hinted at, you should make it clear what the Order and Victors motivation related to it are all about, in the next part of the story. So far I just want to know how it is going on!

That's the plan. I want to take the opportunity to sculpt the Order based on my ideas, but I'll let the Adventure mechanism decide where the story goes.

Nice start, I really like the blue siding on this build!  :thumbup: 

Interesting start. I'm interested to see what role Oleon will be playing in your story. 

The build is quite nice, too. Good choice on colors and the SNOT facade is well done. 

16 hours ago, Sir Stig said:

Major Alkurda had made sure the build was properly decorated and any red flowers were trimmed away before the visitors arrived.

Great detail.:grin:

@Sir Stig

Poseidon must have watched over him. Victor Servadac arrived safely at the docks in Freeport, despite a huge tropical storm that had raged further south the past couple of days, and whose effects could even be felt on the deck of the small vessel that carried Victor to the remote Garvian town. 'Poseidon be blessed!' - Victor thought to himself. Or was it the White Glove Order that had watched over him? 'What a strange thought!' - Victor shook his head. But he wasn't really sure about the subject. To be honest, he wasn't sure about a lot of things regarding the mysterious Order - the letter that had him come to Freeport had even shocked Victor a little. And now that he had arrived - no sign of the White Glove Order whatsoever. What was he to do now? Long he contemplated, standing there at the docks, somehow feeling alone - despite all the many people going about their business in this bustling port. And as he contemplated, a mild breeze surrounded Victor, smelling of sugary rum from the many notorious Freeport bars that lay in front of him, fish that was being sold to his right, and nuances of heavy perfume, obviously originating from a number of rather frivolous looking young women further down the road to his left. Strangely, the sea behind him didn't seem to smell at all. To Victor, this was scary symbolic - he was alone in a strange place, he could not just turn around, knew he had to go forward... but in what direction? Had had never felt so lost in his life...

Just at this very moment a strange old man appeared in front of Victor - seemingly out of nowhere.

'Do you know who you are?' he began to ask.

Victor, startled as he was still deep in his thoughts, just looked at him. 'I'm sorry, you were saying?'

'Would you like to find out?' the strange man went on.

'Would I like to find out what?' Victor replied, still confused as to what was going on.

'How do I know you are White Glove Order?'

White Glove Order! Victor instantly snapped out of his semi-sleepy state of mind.

'How do I know you are White Glove Order?' he heard the old man ask once more.

Who was that old man? Everything pointed to him being a representative of the order, but there was always the risk that he was just an old fool, drunk from the brews and fumes of Freeport, going on some rumour he picked up. Or even some agent. Victor had to think fast...

'The order has a task for you' He insisted. 'You must...'

The old man is giving you one of the following tasks. Pick one and show us how you solve it. (One build required)

• Prove to the old man that you are truly a member of the WGO. Do you have a chant, a secret handshake, a medallion, a seal, or similar? 
  • Attend a secret meeting of the order with the old man. Where do they meet, and what does a meeting entail? What is on the agenda?
  • Bring the man on a covert mission to deal with the enemies of the order. Do they use force, subterfuge, politics or manipulation to overcome adversity?

Your adventure will hardly be about money. Will there be a reward at all? Nobody knows. There might even be times you could think it best to just turn around and give it all up. There are no rights and wrongs here, this is a journey to yourself. Do you have what it takes?

Freeport, Rum Isles, Garvey. Fall, in the year 617.

38011153311_92e879e80d_b.jpg

Beneath the gaze of Freeports Poseidon Fountain, Victor had the feeling that he had indeed been watched over by Poseidon on the journey here.

38011151131_190e5a766d.jpg

Birds of the night were luring in a visiting Sea Rat. One of the reason Freeport were a rapid growing community was that it had an intricate system to keep the streams of gold coming back to the city. Many good traders had come back empty-handed, with an explanation problem, after doing their business in Freeport. And yet, they kept coming back.

38011151371_bec19ff2b0.jpg

Garvey fishermen were sorting their haul, getting it ready for market.

37957834376_525de30737_z.jpg

A traditional vessel of Garvey, The Northlander, is an open boat, with lots of room for fish, shark and even small types of whale. Small fish were the most common use.

38011152961_5152f283d3.jpg

If the price is right, you can get anything in Freeport.

37957834656_d510b50ff4.jpg

And being informed was the best start to getting the right price.

38011150581_b3cf540b34.jpg

The old man continued his rant.

37302308254_1645f49bfb.jpg

"You must go down the road"

"The slippery slope" The last part sounded like a whisper, and Victor could not see the old mans lips move.

"Where have you come from?", the old man asked, and added:

"Remember who you are."

A low whisper echoed in the back of Victors head.

"Remember..."

A fragment of his memory caught the phrase, and answered bluntly, as if the words were telling themselves,

"From the ravines where the gold lives"

The rock which the Poseidon fountain stood reminded him of his family estate in Eslandola. He though fondly of his childhood autumns there, but he sensed a sadness weighing heavily on his shoulders. The Servadac fortune was the result of discovering a gold mine at the foot of the mountains. He could not remember ever visiting it, but still he flinched at a recollection of the smell of it.

"What is more magnificient than gold?", the old man leaned his ear forward.

"Light.", it came out of Victors mouth. Something felt vaguely familiar with the old man.

"And what is more refreshing than light?", the old man pushed on, his eyes had a shine to them now.

"Conversation." Victor pondered as he said it.

"Exactly. Even better over a pint of rum in Chudley Cannons, best prices in Freeport. Visit the allseing clairvoyant Madame Faith Dumatre. Meet the local birds. Try the 2 for 1 special. Prime your ship with a Garvian overhaul. Let loose, and experience all the Freeport magic. Look, a diversion!", the old man finished his pitch, and pointed down the Pier.

Victor turned around too see, but could not see anything out of the ordinary. Manuel Burro, Captain of the Silver Scythe, looked like he was at his wits end trying when he assessed the damage. The local shipwright didn't seem to see the problem.

38011150961_41a2f5041d.jpg

Further down was a curiosity shop.

38011151671_160531f95f.jpg

And a small band of the Garvian Navy was preparing a secret mission.

38011151901_26e22832d9.jpg

When Victor turned around, the old man was gone.

The old man had mentioned a clairvoyant. Victor decided to try his luck.

37961825356_bd7ab27bf1_n.jpg

"Step inside. Don't be shy. Let me see the truth in you.", Madame Dumatre beckoned him inside.

38011150061_8fa54eae44_z.jpg

"The crystal ball is a looking glass into the essence of your soul"

"You will see what lies in your heart"

"What lies in you mind"

"Lies in the fabrics of reality"

"Everything you have been told is an illusion"

"Take a peak inside".

"What do you see?"

Victor glanced at the ball, before answering:

"My own reflection"

"You are trying to hard. Here, take a cookie, and try again", Madame Dumatre gestured towards Victors left side.

38011153461_c7262c8574_z.jpg

Victor were drawn in by their smell and the swirling pattern made him feel lightheaded. He took a bite and stared deeply into the Crystal Ball.

24165486268_eeae7e189e.jpg

Just dropping a quick "wonderful" for now. I will return with a more elaborate comment on this great MOC!

8 hours ago, Sir Stig said:

Freeport, Rum Isles, Garvey. Fall, in the year 617.

Stunning build! I love this! You have brought Garvey to life. Great port scene, with a variety of structures, terrain, and activity. BoBS has had several port scenes, and this may be my favorite. Great work!

Brilliant build all round. Great idea with the 'cookies' at the end. Question - do you take apart modulars for your MOCs? Just seeing the 'highlander' window piece and thought that, I'm just curious as I keep my modular intact :pir-sweet:

2 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Brilliant build all round. Great idea with the 'cookies' at the end. Question - do you take apart modulars for your MOCs? Just seeing the 'highlander' window piece and thought that, I'm just curious as I keep my modular intact :pir-sweet:

Yes, I pick apart everything. I build them once, to get to know any new techniques, let them stand until I have to "borrow" pieces for a MOC, which inevitable leads to a complete dismantling of them.

With 5 modulars, 3 bulk buys, a few (4-7) pick-a-brick wall buys, around 10 pirate sets (most from the bulk buys), 4 bricklink orders and a few 3rd party orders, I finally feel that I have enough bricks to build whatever I want and get enough variety for large builds, such as this. If I am flexible on technical solution and color choices. 

I always have 3-10 ideas for builds that often just have a few features (most often exterior details), lying in drawers and maturing until a fitting setting presents itself.

10 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Stunning build! I love this! You have brought Garvey to life. Great port scene, with a variety of structures, terrain, and activity. BoBS has had several port scenes, and this may be my favorite. Great work!

Thanks That is stretching the compliment, but I'll take it. :D I tried to portray Freeport as a resource first. Just wait for where the story goes next ;)

Very well built diorama, the houses, the pier, the statue, the boats, nice job!

Nice build @Sir Stig! it was great watching this build develop in the PM. I like every part of it! The ships are all very nice as well, and I like the use of the Yacht hull. Maybe I'll try using it sometime. 

On 10/31/2017 at 9:19 AM, Bodi said:

Very well built diorama, the houses, the pier, the statue, the boats, nice job!

Thank you :)

9 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Nice build @Sir Stig! it was great watching this build develop in the PM. I like every part of it! The ships are all very nice as well, and I like the use of the Yacht hull. Maybe I'll try using it sometime. 

The yacht is one of my first ships. It was initially based on an old pilot boat (translated from losskøyte/losbåt) from 1896, but I find it to modern looking as it is. With the damage it took in the first round of the AMRCA, I am working on making it wider and more rounded on the sides and towards the front. The main adjustments are ready on the design level, but I have not found a plan for railing and rigging yet. I will probably stay in port until I have it ready. I sometimes try to challenge myself, and use parts that one may not believe would fit for the type. Another approach could be to turn the hull around, and fit a rounded bow to the back of the hull.

Fantasic MOC Sir Stig, it really creates a great feel for Garvey and her colonies. I especially like the larger building on the left - the dark red highlights are great and the use of the turntable bases as decorations on the top floor really stand out. The minifig combo for the old man is also especially good, as is the Garvian naval officer with the SW hat. I certainly hope the gamemasters reward such a great MOC in the next round of your AMRCA!

I missed this one... The story is very interesting... and the MOC is really great, full of details and good stuff.

the last pic is excellent.

Edited by Professor Thaum

@Sir Stig:

Victor was dizzy. It had been a strange experience, the hypnosis, and it would need time to sink in. In a while, he might make better sense of the dreamy scenes, but for now, he was simply confused. As he exited the clairvoyant's house, the old man was suddenly there again, sending Servadoc a curious glance.

"A fascinating experience, I am sure?.." The old man said, without pausing to wait for a reply. "But we cannot dilly-dally. The WGO waits for no man."

"But what would you have me do?" Servadoc asked, still confused. Had there been something in those cookies?

"I am to observe your behaviour for the WGO. You must prove your worth, and I shall be the judge." He pressed on, not acknowledging Victor's temporary incapacity. It seems the WGO did not take kindly to weakness. "I shall stay in the shadows, follow your every action, and you must not acknowledge me, or mention me. I will follow you secretly, but you must handle everything on your own!" He added with great conviction.

The dreams where mind shattering, but at the moment more pressing matters were at hand, it seemed.

You have been given a number of tasks. Which one will you do first?

• Participate in the initiation of a new member. Is there some rite of passage, a special ceremony or similar?
  • Carry messages for the local organisation. Who do they communicate with and through what means? What is in the messages? Are they encoded in some way?
  • Go on a covert mission to deal with the enemies of the order. Do they use force, subterfuge, politics or manipulation to overcome adversity?

There is still no indication of whether the WGO will reward you for this. There might even be times you could think it best to just turn around and give it all up. There are no rights and wrongs here, this is a journey to yourself. Do you have what it takes?