makoy

[MOC] YT-1930 Nebulon Baron

This is my entry to the LEGO Rebrick contest Freighter Wars.

Here's the blurb:

Nebulon Baron is a highly modified YT-1930 Corellian Light Freighter. The flared, wedged-shaped section that was designed for transporting cargo had been modified to house sublight engines which makes it as maneuverable as starfighters despite having twice the cargo capacity of older model YT-1300. It has a central-forward cockpit in between the mandibles providing practical visibility. Less than a thousand of this ship was released in the market thus many smugglers consider this a rare gem.

Back view

YT-1930 Nebulon Baron

Top view

23755738958_c726ef931e_c.jpg

Side view

23755740238_32abba4eab_c.jpg

Front view

23755739318_9fbde734e9_c.jpg

And finally this one -- trying to copy the same tilt and angle of the Millennium Falcon in the box art of set 75192.

This is how I envisioned the box art will be if this model is ever made as a LEGO set.

23755739988_c8fd546725_c.jpg

I had fun making this MOC. I think that's the most important part of the experience.

I like the aggressive shape! It looks like you dropped the radar dish, is the greebling on top of the cockpit the replacement? One thing I did notice that might be a practical concern is that it looks like perhaps the docking collars on the side won't really work anymore due to the protrusion of the engines right behind? Did you do an interior? I'm curious how the layout is with the typical circle shape being only 2/3 usual size, but with the added rear space by the engines.

Think you nailed it with that colour scheme. The dark blue against the olive work really well.

Nice shape and detailing too.

Looks pretty great man, the shape is very fun, it almost has a classic space feel to it.  I feel like a jonesin' addict, but... Ya got any of them interior shots? :)

One of the primarily reasons I'm not fond of the Millennium Falcon myself is because it is an asymmetrical spacecraft, so seeing a symmetrical Corellian freighter is pretty cool. Along with its Earth Blue/Olive Green accenting, I like different take on the rear thrusters of this craft, especially how the outermost ones move outwards from the rounded rear of the craft. :classic:

5 hours ago, Kodan Black said:

I like the aggressive shape! It looks like you dropped the radar dish, is the greebling on top of the cockpit the replacement? One thing I did notice that might be a practical concern is that it looks like perhaps the docking collars on the side won't really work anymore due to the protrusion of the engines right behind? Did you do an interior? I'm curious how the layout is with the typical circle shape being only 2/3 usual size, but with the added rear space by the engines.

Thanks! The aggressive look is one of the reason I want to make this ship because everyone seems to be making a variant of YT-1300 and I was like, why no one is making this bad-megablocks YT-1930 model and the rest is history.

As for the radar dish, I don't even think having a radar dish sticking out out the freighter is necessary so I tried to be minimalist with the radar/antennae. That's what the dark tan bucket handle is for.

As for the docking collars, I thought about that but I am sure it will work because it's fictional and it should work in fiction. :laugh:

I based the design from the Force Awakens MF so at least half of the Millennium Falcon interior is there but I removed what I don't need. In the meantime, that rear part is all empty space - for cargo or whatnot. Probably, the pilot of this ship is a bigger smuggler than Han Solo. Also, not sure if you realised this is made from LDD. If I made the real one someday, it will sure have more interior design. 

5 hours ago, badgerboy said:

Think you nailed it with that colour scheme. The dark blue against the olive work really well.

Nice shape and detailing too.

Thanks! I think I would not have pulled off the colour scheme if I didn't see that colour combo in Parisian Restaurant.

2 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Looks pretty great man, the shape is very fun, it almost has a classic space feel to it.  I feel like a jonesin' addict, but... Ya got any of them interior shots? :)

I know it has a classic space too it. I am almost tempted to put a trans-yellow canopy on it.In

See above reply re: interior.

24 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

One of the primarily reasons I'm not fond of the Millennium Falcon myself is because it is an asymmetrical spacecraft, so seeing a symmetrical Corellian freighter is pretty cool. Along with its Earth Blue/Olive Green accenting, I like different take on the rear thrusters of this craft, especially how the outermost ones move outwards from the rounded rear of the craft. :classic:

In legends, the rear ion engines are all clustered in the middle and I wasn't really fond of that so I took creative liberty to put a pair towards the outer edge of the rear wedge cargo area because why not? I like this ship to be faster and and more agile than the Millennium Falcon. 

I really love this design, as I'd not seen this ship before. We're currently playing SW RPG (2nd Edition) and recently.. acquired this craft. I'd love to get the LDD file of it, as it looks terrific, and would really add a kick to our RPG. Could you please send me a PM? I joined Eurobricks just to say what a great design it is, but I'm sure I'll be here for much more than this.