Captain Genaro

[OL - A-MCRA] Travels to Terraversa

@Captain Genaro, @KotZ, @Bodi, @Dukesc

The rebellion

In Nola Mar, the fervour of the rebellion is moderating, although the rebels are spending their time wisely, consolidating their hold on the settlement. The initial influx of volunteers has died down, although frequently, loyalists individuals are making their way to the new loyalist stronghold. It remains to be seen if the movement can continue on its own, or if vaning enthusiasm and the constant risk of Terraversan intervention will require outside involvement. For now, the situation is at a standstill.
Will Hollande deliver on his promises of men, ships, and funding; wait out developments, or deny involvement altogether?

The Quiver of Artemis

It was found! Emile and the Huntress had discovered the location of the mysterious artifact, sought after by so many for so long - but what to do with it now? In itself, it was worth little, but as a relic of the Faith, it held great importance to many factions, particularly in Terraversa.

It was clear the Huntress desired it - and she would offer a lump sum for it - asking Emile to name his price. However, the Huntress had still revealed little of her political stance, other than claiming to be "of the people, for the people" - on matters of Terraversan independence, she had skillfully avoided any commitments, and Emile was starting to suspect her motives. With the relic, she would be able to bolster the numbers of her own faction - but what would she use this power for?

It could also be said that the relic belonged to the Atwi in which (forgotten) temple it had been found. The Atwi had been firm supporters of Terraversan independence, but would the gift of the refound Quiver be enough to sway them to support the Olean cause, if not outright return to Mardierian rule?

Oldis, while unaware of the Quiver as other than a myth, would certainly hold great appreciation towards those who offered him such a powerful symbol, which could help him consolidate his power as Archduke.

In Kings Port, the Mardierian loyalists were looking for Hollande's support for their rebellion in Nola Mar, and the relic might help raise more settlements or people for the cause. Without a doubt, they would see the relic as a powerful gift. However, it could also risk raise awareness of the rebellion, before it had truly taken hold.

One other obvious option remained: The Order of the Faith. No doubt, the "right" thing to do was to hand over the relic to the order, or construct a temple around it - either on Terraversa or elsewhere. Such a temple would surely draw in pilgrims and commerce to whereever it was placed. Removing it from Terraversa might cause some local backlash, though. (If a temple is constructed, it can done as a free large property activated by microbuild, regardless of location, and will come with additional bonuses)

However, it was entirely up to the RNTC what to do with the Quiver of Artemis - and the options above were only the initial considerations - other roads may be taken, if so desired.

Ooh yay! I was actually just about to start a build of Emile back in Oleon lands since this MCRA had not moved forward for months. How many builds are required and size?

6 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Ooh yay! I was actually just about to start a build of Emile back in Oleon lands since this MCRA had not moved forward for months. How many builds are required and size?

We are opening up the AMRCAs a bit, so you can basically do as you  please - as long as you let the AMRCA team determine the outcome of your actions. :)

and yes, sorry for the delay :/

20 minutes ago, Bregir said:

We are opening up the AMRCAs a bit, so you can basically do as you  please - as long as you let the AMRCA team determine the outcome of your actions. :)

and yes, sorry for the delay :/

Oh, ok cool! I'm excited to get back into the Brick Seas!

And no worries, we all have busy lives.

temple1.png
temple2.png

Emile brought the Quiver back with him to The Order of The Faith, allowing them to build a great temple, incorporating the Quiver, and the mythological Huntress from whom Emile's contact had taken her name, into their own faith. The Temple was erected quickly, and Order members arrived to preach to the masses. There was one condition though from the Huntress: If Oleon was to keep the Quiver, it had to be available for study. Emile agreed, but spoke to Hollande about it. After some thought, it was approved that behind the great statue and altar for the Quiver, there was to be an annex to allow the Quiver to be studied if not on display.

Emile found this reasonable. Atwi elders could come and see the relic and speak of its legend on the island, while also allowing the Quiver to be kept safe in the hands of the RNTC. In addition, the Huntress seemed to be satisfied, at least that's what Emile saw. Hopefully he was right.

48555138196_2df8027519_c.jpgP1130632 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Despite the delays, everything was starting to proceed according to plan. The RNTC had finally gotten weapons, arms, shot, and powder, from the arsenals in Henri Hollande succeeded in getting arms, shot, and powder delivered from the arsenals on Le Bellan, and so far the Terraversans were none the wiser. But these delays were taking a toll, especially at home where Henri's master was growing impatient with the lack of progress, leaving Hollande with no choice but to quickly distribute the supplies to the loyalists. Fortunately the Slippery Banana (as the rescued Terraversan brig was now known) allowed the Company to partially conceal their activities since few would take note of a Terraversan brig sailing in Terraversan waters. Still, the process was not without its risks since an Olean crew on a vessel brimming with military supplies, a RNTC official, and a royal officer was hardly a common sight, or perhaps more properly, not a common sight for areas of no interest to the Empire. 

48555134816_cab0b5c97d_c.jpgP1130634 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

"Disgraceful, look at this rabble," the Captain said dismissively. "I have no idea what your Hollande sees in them, but as far as I can tell they wouldn't last a minute against proper infantry." 

"Hmm," the Company official replied as he inspected his figures for the weapons delivered. "Doesn't the army say that about every foe?"

The Captain laughed. "Leon, forgive me if I say that perhaps the eye of a soldier is better at discerning these things than the eye of a merchant, but surely even you can agree that this display is appalling. Why look there, that man stands a better chance of strangling himself with his cartage box than he does of putting it to its intended purpose."

"Hmm" the official replied again, glancing between his records and the crates stacked before him. 

"Yes, yes, reminds me Abu, ah-cah, err, well, Royal Port, down in Guleph, you know during the troubles. Or perhaps you don't know, perhaps this was bit before your time. Well, regardless, I remember, just as clear as yesterday, oh, you had to be there, the sun, the heat, the sand everywhere. Well, that's besides the point, but regardless, these goat herders, mere peasants, oh to watch them try to organize a defense. Well, you see, I was only an ensign at the time, so you can understand that I was a bit uneasy, but once I gazed on the herdsmen, oh how I remember, it was a burden lifted. No fear, no pressure, I knew I had nothing to worry about, you see. Half of me wanted to laugh at their incompetence while the other half cry at the disgrace of fighting such an unworthy foe. It would have been pitiable if they weren't damned traitors. Still, the cavalry routed them all in good order. Nothing too hard, and a nice day's work if you ask me. Not that it did us any good, you see. No medals or honor in that."

"Hmm" the official replied.

"Well, are you done yet?" the Captain asked, suddenly changing the subject. "Surely all the crates are here, and you've counted them a dozen times over."

"Hmm? Oh, yes, yes, just finishing now," the official said with a sigh. "I'll head to the boat and order the men to prepare to return to the boat."

"Ah, that won't be necessary, Leon. You see, you and I will go with the men in the boat, but the other two lads shall stay behind."

"You never mentioned this!" replied the official sharply. 

"Well I wasn't sure it would be necessary, but I believe it shall." 

"Necessary for what?"

"That is not your concern. All that concerns you is obeying my command as Lord Vele's instructions dictate." 

"What good would two men do here? Surely they won't turn the tide if Oldis discovers this operation. If they attack and the loyalists are defeated, these men will be arrested for sure! No chance of escape! How could you condemn men to such a fate?" 

"But Henri's plan has gone so well so far, what makes you think that aging fool Oldis would discover our operation?" the Captain asked with a hint of sarcasm before pausing and continuing in a very serious tone. " I know these men's fate, Leon. I know it far better than you ever could. You've never seen men die, you've never watched cannons roaring directly at you, you've never stood steady while a dragoon lunges at you with his saber. But that is besides the point; war, Leon, war is a chess match. If you cannot stomach to lose a pawn occasionally, then you cannot win." 

"Even the chess master does not throw away pawns without a master strategy, sir" the official replied coldly, "and I for one cannot see any benefit to allowing these men to risk capture or death just so the launch is less crowded."

"Enough, I have spoken," declared the Captain. "I don't know how things are done in the Company, but I assure you that in the army we expect orders to be obeyed even when those charged with carrying out said orders are too blind to see the master strategy. Now let us depart, further discussion on this matter serves no purpose." 

48555280022_ea237efb3f_c.jpgP1130642 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Yeah, that harbour building and its surroundings are done fantastic!

There seems to be some SNOTting around the windows? No matter how it's done, it looks great. If only there was some kind of interior.

@Bodi @KotZ @Captain Genaro @Dukesc

The mood in Kings Port was turning foul. Hollande and his expedition had been subject to namecalling and minor acts of vandalism against RNTC property, and contact to Terraversan authorities had been reduced to an absolute minimum. Rumours were circulating amongst the populace that Oleon was involved in some covert mission to sabotage Terraversan independence, and Oldis' government was obviously seizing on the opportunity to gain popularity by alienating the RNTC. Through increasing harbour fees, withholding of supplies, and various administrative obstacles, it was becoming clear that they were outstaying their welcome.

On board Hollande's flagship, an ominous note arrived from a reliable abbé from the Temple of Artemis. The messenger was bruised and covered in rotten fruits and mud, and had clearly been in a scowl.

Spoiler

Honourable Sirs,

It has come to our attention that a group styling itself the "Terraversan Patriots" is plotting to expel us and all representatives of the Order from the temple and claim the Quiver for themselves. Many of the parish have stopped attending, and others have loudly exclaimed that we are desecrating the sacred artifact. I fear action is imminent and we will be powerless to resist. It is clear that the temple is being watched.

Please advice

Abbé Augustin

Temple of Artemis

Hours later, a seemingly innocent trading vessel crossed the point and entered the harbour. From it, a boat discreetly set out towards Hollande's fleet, carrying a report from Nola Mar.

Spoiler

Situational report, Nola Mar

The situation is stable and the loyalists have secured complete control of the surrounding settlements. Anything bar a full scale assault will be met with fierce, effective resistance.

The loyalist battalions have grown to considerable number, and are determined in their cause. However, in the face of a determined assault or siege, their lack of training, discipline, field artillery and proper earthworks is likely to mean a swift end to our efforts.

I emphasize that professional officers, artillery, and pioneer support are critical for further progress and achievement of our objectives.

"Aim!... Fire!" Emile shouted to the men in front of him.

The deafening sound of shot echoed off the stone walls as men pulled the triggers on their weapons. Some rounds found their targets; others went straight to the wall of the fort where Emile and the Huntress had set up training.

1.png
2.png

"Close!" Emile told the men. "Again! Faster! You think any enemies you come upon will give you minutes to reload? No! Get it done fast! You have four front teeth for a reason!"

The gathered men reloaded and fired off another shot.

3.png

"Continue until I say stop!" Emile ordered. He turned to the Huntress. "They're improving, I'll give them that."

"Patriots are a dedicated people, "the Huntress replied. "They have something to fight for, and they'll work day and night to better themselves to save their nation."

"Well, you won't find me arguing on that."

"Oh, Poseidon, that was close!" a voice up above exclaimed.

4.png
5.png

Everyone turned to see an RNTC soldier carefully peek up above the battlements. "He almost hit me!"

Emile chided the man who misfired, "Do that again, and we'll give you one hundred lashings."

"That's nothing," a familiar voice cut in.

Chills ran up Emile's spine. The captain. His captain. Emile turned to the newcomer. "Well, we don't have time to do things how you did them on the ship."

Emile's former captain, the bane of his existance, walked into the area. He bowed, "Huntress."

6.png

"What are you doing here," Emile asked. "We have training to do."

"I thought I would help," the Captain replied, a wicked grin on his face.

"Fine," Emile replied. He tossed him a sabre. "The men have had enough training on firearms for today. Let's show them how to fight on foot."

They moved to opposite ends and took positions. The Captain went to a lower outside guard, while Emile took a high guard. They advanced closer to each other.

7.png
8.png

"Take note," Emile said to the Terraversans. "Keep your weight on your back foot until you need to lunge."

And immediately, the captain lunged with a cut from above. Emile blocked it with brining his sword up above his head to protect him.

9.png

With haste, Emile returned with a cut to the lower inside opening, where the Captain did not have his blade ready.

"Ah!" the Captain shouted, as the blade hit him.

Emile returned to a guard position and backed away to safety, as he had been taught. "You taught me well, many years ago. Now I have taught them."

10.png

The Captain grimaced. Emile smirked. The Huntress smiled.

-------

"Just a little bit more!"

"These things are heavy!"

"Well what do you expect, son? They're straight metal."

1.png
2.png

"Those are pretty sharp down there. Don't hurt yourself getting them set up."

3.png
4.png

Nice scenes @KotZ! The angled walls are very well done, even considering what a pain is making they turn out well! I also like how you built the “murder holes” for the cannons (I’m not sure it is the right term), they are very well done! Excellent work with the training scene too, that shooting range is very nice!

The shooting practice and fencing scenes look both very good, and the fort is even better, I like the angled wall.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:31 AM, Keymonus said:

I also like how you built the “murder holes” for the cannons (I’m not sure it is the right term), they are very well done! Excellent work with the training scene too, that shooting range is very nice!

Crenellations. Somewhat similar to murder holes, but murder holes are openings in the floor to drop stuff down.

Somewhere in Nola Mar, at a loyalist encampment, a night watchman saw a faint light flashing at regular interval on the horizon, he grasped his lamp and shouted loudly :" It's them!"

- "At last!" a middled aged man wearing a monocle rushed out of the tower and chased down the stairs.

3swk6S.jpg

A few moment later, a smuggler boat anchored at the bay and a rowboat was lowered. once it was filled with muskets and ammunition, two sailors boarded it and the boat was rowed to the shore.

3swiSf.jpg

Nice fort in the making and excellent vessel!!!!! Did I also say I love the new "wooden" background???

49660673036_cff6906132_c.jpgP1130685 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Lord Pierre Lavalette Genaro, Duke and Peer of the Realm (and so forth) was unaccustomed to waiting, and increasingly this was causing him to become agitated. The steady mechanical ticking of the grandfather clock seemed to mock him, each tick a stabbing reminder of the delay. For a man second to only to kings and princes, a man accustomed to the blind obedience of millions, the wait was almost too much to bear. But bear it he did for it was only through patience (a nearly intolerable patience) that his objectives would be accomplished.

“Well” a voice suddenly demanded as if out of thin air itself. Pierre would have paused for a moment, a desire to shudder befell him the second he heard that cold, heartless voice. But he would not grant his nemesis the pleasure, no instead he continued to stare ahead, seemingly ignoring the newcomer.

“I have need of the Clerics of Hades” Pierre declared without warning. Then turning to face Lord Calida (for that was the other man in the room) he went on. “I will need several assassins, those who are masters of clandestine activity, and several who have experience with, ah, spreading political discontent.”

49660674296_a8589b8c26_c.jpgP1130679 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Calida simply stared at Pierre, refusing to reply so the duke continued. “As you no doubt are aware the situation in Terraversa has taken an unfortunate turn, and while my agents are capable the Clerics are without a doubt the quintessence of clandestine activity.”

“And what makes you think I am prepared to acquiesce to your request?” Calida hissed with only the most minimal movements of his mouth.”

“You misunderstand me, Lord Chancellor” Pierre replied in steady tone with only a slight hint of amusement in his voice. “I am not requesting the use of the Clerics, I am conveying to you the commands of the King.”

“How low His Majesty must have stooped to find you to serve as his errand boy, delivering his messages throughout the land” Calida mocked. “Though I suppose for one so accustomed to licking the royal boots this must be quite the promotion.”

“Envy does not become you, Calida” Pierre went on. Hardly a decisive recovery, but one which would allow him to come out on top and continue on with the main point. “But putting our quarrel aside for a moment, I know you could ultimately hinder, possibly fatally, my designs.”

“I thought these were the King’s order?” Calida mocked.

“It truly is a wonder just how similar our designs are.”

“Almost as if you fed him every word.”

Pierre waived his hand. “Details, details. But the King has approved this plan so follow it we shall. Whatever our objections. But as I was saying, you could still find ways to hinder these designs, so I must ask what you desire in return for your cooperation.”

“The Quiver.”

“No.”

Calida almost smirked. He had expected such a response, and as such his second offer was already prepared. “Perhaps this then,” he replied as he handed a sheet of parchment over to the duke. The duke read it and re-read it before replying.

“Plutus would blush at making such a request. I thought you Clerics of Zeus decried greed.”

Calida shrugged, or more precisely raised and lowered his shoulders by a measure almost imperceptible to an observer. “I was never a particularly good student.”

Pierre stared at Calida for a moment. “I shall give you a third now, and a third once my mission is brought to fruition. Is that acceptable?”

49660136738_4559598d9e_c.jpgP1130689 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Nola Mar was a dull assignment, even by RNTC standards. All the proper documentation ensured there was little to no risk and all the major decisions were being made by superiors elsewhere. Delivery of supplies were overseen by the merchantman’s captain, and the loyalists were, for the time being, organizing their own defenses autonomously. Still, there were opportunities to profit, and it was these very opportunities the company official was pondering when a breathless loyalist suddenly dashed up the path.

“Sir, sir” the man cried out. “Sir!”

Concerned the official turned to the sailor, one of the few left behind in Nola Mar, and waived in acknowledgement, puzzled and slightly concerned at the man’s obvious worry.

49660687221_b29db8ce76_c.jpgP1130693 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

“Calm yourself, man. Breathe easy now, that’s better. Here” he said offering a flask of water. “Now” he continued once the sailor had somewhat recovered. “What’s all the commotion?”

“Harbor Master’s compliments, sir, but there was a foreign gent who done tried to come ashore here.”

“Who, what!” the official replied sharply.

“Not sure, sir. Apparently some fishing boat done tried to dock which the master was okay with, but as soon as it got to the matter of the fee this foreign gent pulls out a pass from the L’Olius fellow and that’s when he got suspicious. The harbor master that is, sir, the harbor master got suspicious, but the foreign gent done got up and left before the patrol could get him.”

“Are you certain?”

“Well, begging your pardon sir, but that’s all they’s told me. And seeing as they’s our friends and a fine gentleman, sir, I don’t think he’s gone and lied to me.”

“Yes, yes, I see.” The official replied, a slight concern in his voice. “Did he say anything else about the man?”

“Foreign gent, sir, but couldn’t place the accent. Seemed to think the pass was the word of Zeus he did. Some divine gift granting him access to the whole world.”

“But what of the man?”

“Don’t know sir. Oh, wait, well the harbor master did say he had a red beard or something, yea, that’s it, because he said the red beard and green cloak. You see I remembered red and green and since the beard can’t be green it must be the cloak that’s green, see.”

The official stood there silently for a moment. A foreign man trying to visit Nola Mar with a pass from L’Olius suggested trouble.

“Fishing vessels do not dock in Nola Mar,” the official said half to himself and half to the sailor. “They go to Kings Port or Westface. There are too many other places to water, places where you don’t pay harbor fees, and if they had urgent need for supplies they would not have left so easily.”

The sailor stood there, fumbling with his hat in his hands. “Begging your pardon, sir, but if they aren’t real fishermen, then what are they? Smugglers?”

The official shook his head. “Unlikely. If they were local smugglers they would not have been frightened off, and if they were foreign smugglers they would not be so rash as to pull up to the docks in broad daylight. No, a foreigner who quickly fled when challenged suggests a far more serious threat.” Turning to the sailor, the official continued. “Quick, we haven’t a moment to lose. Run to the town and tell the captain of the guard to deploy patrols immediately. Send men to warn the pickets and roadblocks of a potential spy. Anyone, even those claiming to be Olean or Marderian, is to be detained until I can question them.”

“But if he’s already gone and fled, sir? What if that’s happened?”

The official thought quickly before replying. “A rider can cross the interior faster than any ship can reach Kings Port. With the local roads under our control and loyalists surrounding the town he can only move at night and off the main roads. No, even if he escapes our message shall reach Oldis first, and after all,” he said patting the pocket which concealed a forged seal “Oldis would have no reason to question a message coming from his own agents.”

49660956542_8df7232834_c.jpgP1130688 by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

With the arrival of shiny new uniforms and more top quality RNTC merchandise equipment, and after months of proper training in the art of warfare, what was once a rag-tag bunch of ill-disciplined peasants and wanna-be counter-revolutionists was just starting to look - and act - like a regular militia. A compliment by the company's standards! Adding to that, the defences of Nola Mar had been improved over the past weeks and months, and still a lot of final adjustments were made. Eventually, it would seem that even a larger scale attack against their positions might just be repelled successfully - a thought that grew bigger by the day in the hearts of all who were involved in this great all-or-nothing game.

49663165248_cb09dedd8e_c.jpg

49663311276_6f6ec3c301_o.png

Meanwhile, at the city gates a messenger carrying an important looking letter is leaving the city on horseback in quite a haste. Where he is headed? None of the loyalist city guards truly seems to care.
What has taken their attention instead is an order that had arrived just hours ago - to detain anybody fitting the looks of a red-bearded man of seemingly foreign origin... and somebody matching this very description was just approaching...

49663311671_cc50605a60_c.jpg

----------------------

And an overview of the whole build:

Spoiler

49663312151_5f0f4b9223_b.jpg

49663597827_c02e6790f5_b.jpg

A very unique looking fort there KB, the white turned out really nice!  I also love Captain G's interior with the different shades of blue!

So much is happening at the same time here, hard to keep track :blush: AMAZING Mocs everyone!! Love the entire story so far. 

The use of the droid arms is top notch for this build. My only nitpick is in CG's. The pendulum of the grandfather clock looks stuck!:pir-laugh:

Thank you all for the kind words, and I'm glad you are all enjoying (or at least purporting to enjoy) the story so far. 

2 hours ago, KotZ said:

My only nitpick is in CG's. The pendulum of the grandfather clock looks stuck!:pir-laugh:

Must be a Corrish model.:laugh:

Great writing Captain Genaro, it's fun to learn more about the rivalry between Lavalette and Calida. :laugh: Nice builds too.

8 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:
11 hours ago, KotZ said:

My only nitpick is in CG's. The pendulum of the grandfather clock looks stuck!:pir-laugh:

Ahahahahahahaha!

9 hours ago, Captain Genaro said:

As if you weren't already balancing on a diplomatic knife's edge... :pir-hmpf_bad:

:pir-grin:

Very interesting builds and story - still a few unknowns like: how you will react to the situation in Kings Port, what is in that despatch, and whether Cooke will be captured (I have a small reaction build coming). :pir-look:

One thing I am certain though, is that whether he is captured or not, we have an interesting story ahead of us!