JamesJT

[MOC] Dino 246 RC (with photo instructions)

Hi! I'm new. Where can I buy the parts to this? I intend to build this for my father as his birthday is coming up.  Please advise. Thanks.

You have really nailed the shape and wheel choice on this, great MOC. It’s nostalgic for me too as my dad had a yellow one when I was a kid.

Funny to see this thread got bumped, as I just finished collecting the parts to build it in Red. I'll post pics when I'm done building. :sweet:

A little update:

1280x960.jpg

Not yet finished, but looking splendid already!

I realized the Ferrari Dino is built on (almost) the same chassis as the Lancia Stratos, which I still had assembled, so I stripped off its bodywork, and during the build of the Dino I'm just stealing parts from the Stratos where needed.

Except for part 18944 85x85p.png all parts are genuine Lego. I challenged myself to make the bodywork entirely red, which is difficult because the design uses a lot of part 15100 85x85p.jpg and 10197 85x85p.jpg which aren't available in red. I tried finding alternative connections using part 22961 85x85p.jpg, which went well so far, but I only have 18 from the Rough Terrain Crane and they've all run out already, while I still have to fit the doors... :cry_sad:

Anyhow, they build has been very enjoyable so far! :sweet:

It looks way better in red than white or black. I can't understand why lego don't make the arch panel in red. Dino and Stratos are related so it made sense to use that same chassis. Looking forward to seeing a complete red dino!

Finished. It's gorgeous. Nothing else to say. :wub:

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

I made minor tweaks where I saw fit -- I guess only the designer will spot the differences. :wink:

It took some effort and creativity to keep the bodywork entirely Red. The only place where I couldn't find a satisfactory alternative connection was for the front blinkers. Oh well.

Bricksafe album here

On 9/10/2020 at 1:45 PM, JamesJT said:

Maybe do this one in red too?

Niiiiice :wub_drool:

I was actually thinking of updating the PDF instructions with my Red mods. I know my way around LDCad and LPub3D (evidence here). Can I get the digital model from you or @Thorsten50?

Perhaps new 42125 set will be great parts donor for 246GT (a bit bigger but with more appropriate panels / mudguards)

12 hours ago, Scoar Sonander said:

Nice! Are those orange Bionicle pieces on the front intentional? Although I am a car aficionado I haven't truly studied the dino yet...

Yes they represent the blinkers of course. Just do an image search for "Ferrari Dino" -- highly recommended because it's a beautiful car to see! :grin_wub:

PS: I notice now in the photos that those blinkers are a different shade of orange... I just looked into my drawers and found 4 of 85x85p.jpg?1626703835.0327737, of which one is more 'neon' than the others. It seems TLG's color inconsistency problems manifest even in Trans-Neon Orange... :facepalm:

Edited by astyanax