makoy

[REVIEW] 5004939 - TLBM Minifigures (Bricktober 2017)

How do you rate this set?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale 1 to 5...

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 – Outstanding
  2. 2. Which one is your most favourite batsuit in this Bricktober set?

• Dollar Bill Tuxedo Batman
    • Easter Bunny Batman
    • Wizbat
    • Baturion

12 hours ago, HawkLord said:

Fantastic review. With some hesitancy, I'm passing in this set primarily because I don't want to play the TRU mystery game of if the given store has it and the boxes are in good shape. 

I don't know about the second part of your "mystery game," but I solved the first mystery by just calling my local store.

5 hours ago, MAB said:

It is a shame, if they had just had a belt on them and didn't try to do a continuous print across two part

Glad that you brought attention to this increasing tendency of LEGO designers to run lines or whatnot across torso and legs to make a continuous pattern. It makes the torso or the legs assembly less versatile. I appreciate those continuous print pattern but for the case of Baturio, the yellow line at the belt / hips seems unnecessary.

5 hours ago, BrickHat said:

@makoy thanks for the super detailed review and pictures! @fordtruckin That looks great and I'll definitely be getting one of those capes!

I enjoyed making the review. You're welcome. :)

11 hours ago, HawkLord said:

Fantastic review. With some hesitancy, I'm passing in this set primarily because I don't want to play the TRU mystery game of if the given store has it and the boxes are in good shape. 

I see this as almost generous on Lego's part to offer TRU such a great exclusive when I would bet Target and Walmart move more Lego than TRU. 

Thanks! This is indeed a generous Bricktober. I understand your hesitation, but I personally won't hesitate getting this even if the box is not in good shape as long as the content is all intact inside.

9 hours ago, makoy said:

Glad that you brought attention to this increasing tendency of LEGO designers to run lines or whatnot across torso and legs to make a continuous pattern. It makes the torso or the legs assembly less versatile. I appreciate those continuous print pattern but for the case of Baturio, the yellow line at the belt / hips seems unnecessary.

Yes, unfortunately it has been going for a while. The parts it happened on first that really brought it to my attention were these, from the S8 CMF actor:

973pb1244c01.png970c88pb08.png

The jacket is not too bad although appears not finished if used on other legs whereas the hips really need a dark green torso to be reused elsewhere.

And the one that really annoyed me was Saruman with the dress slope. I think I had to get 4 or 5 before I got decent alignment between the torso and the slope printing. Some were almost 1mm off, which really shows on something this size. And even then, there is still a white line between the two parts, where the print is meant to be continuous but isn't.

lor074.png

The same can be said of many necklines too.

973pb1511c01.png

The S11 constable, for example. Why does he have yellow skin showing there? It appears he doesn't have a shirt on underneath the jacket. If that was printed white instead of yellow, it would also have made the design usable for fleshie customs too.

Sometimes they do well though, for example in the S3 elf.

973pb0810c01.jpg?1

No yellow neckline and a belt that stays on the torso and looks OK if you switch out the legs. An easy one for custom figures, yellow or fleshie. The same is true of both Roman soldier torsos, a nice design confined to just the torso (although their legs are for yellow skins only).

Edited by MAB

Great review. This set certainly deserves it being one of the best TRU Bricktober sets to date. 

Two of my local TRU's sold out the second day. Definitely a rush to get these things. I had to travel quite a distance to get mine. I've never seen such a frenzy to get a TRU Bricktober item. 

On 10/10/2017 at 5:57 AM, MAB said:

The same can be said of many necklines too.

973pb1511c01.png

The S11 constable, for example. Why does he have yellow skin showing there? It appears he doesn't have a shirt on underneath the jacket. If that was printed white instead of yellow, it would also have made the design usable for fleshie customs too.

Oh god the skin colors printed on the minifigures is a huge pet peeve of mine. It means you can't use them on anyone else... :/

I mean sometimes it's unavoidable like with a bikini or anything that shows a LOT of skin, but 90% of the time they can leave the skin out and make it so that the torso or legs are usable by any skin tone.

Nice review!

Too bad this is really exclusive:

If only I could get this for my collection! :cry_sad: I watched the German TRU webpage from mid September but it wasn't available at any time.
Does anyone have an idea where I can get it for the original price? They are skyrocketing in the aftremarket right now. :hmpf_bad:

2 hours ago, Holodoc said:

Nice review!

If only I could get this for my collection! :cry_sad: I watched the German TRU webpage from mid September but it wasn't available at any time.
Does anyone have an idea where I can get it for the original price? They are skyrocketing in the aftremarket right now. :hmpf_bad:

Get someone in the States who still has a TrU with them to send you one.

@makoy was the fold out movie scene inside the box or a separate item? I only ask because no one else has mentioned them so far and it looks unlikely that it would be inside the box. I’m not going to be annoyed about it, it’s just a nice touch.

14 hours ago, Holodoc said:

Nice review!

Someone in a UK FB group posted shelves full of them. If you know someone in UK you may try asking if there are still some left. Otherwise, the aftermarket seems to be the only way getting this. I know it's annoying that's why I got my hands on this quickly.

11 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

Get someone in the States who still has a TrU with them to send you one.

Is it still available in TRUs now even though the 4th week of October is almost finished?

3 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

@makoy was the fold out movie scene inside the box or a separate item? I only ask because no one else has mentioned them so far and it looks unlikely that it would be inside the box. I’m not going to be annoyed about it, it’s just a nice touch.

You're right. It is a separate item. I did not mention explicitly because I thought that from the picture alone you will know that the dimension won't fit inside the box packaging. I did mention however that it comes free with the Bricktober set in some Asian countries, so I inferred it is a separate item.

Not sure if it is just for Asia as there are some variations in each region for the Bricktober promotions.... TLG is likely noticing that the Asian collectors are harder to please because they even have another promotion just to promote the Bricktober sets which I find ridiculous because the sets are already exclusive.

6 hours ago, makoy said:

Someone in a UK FB group posted shelves full of them. If you know someone in UK you may try asking if there are still some left. Otherwise, the aftermarket seems to be the only way getting this. I know it's annoying that's why I got my hands on this quickly.

Is it still available in TRUs now even though the 4th week of October is almost finished?

You're right. It is a separate item.

Not sure if it is just for Asia as there are some variations in each region for the Bricktober promotions.... TLG is likely noticing that the Asian collectors are harder to please because they even have another promotion just to promote the Bricktober sets which I find ridiculous because the sets are already exclusive.

Ok, thank you. That’s nuts, having yet another promotion for the sets. Perhaps us other worldwide collectors should try and be hard to please :laugh:

11 hours ago, makoy said:

It was the most numerous set available at my store at the beginning of the week. I haven't been back, but I could probably check today,

On 10/27/2017 at 8:31 PM, K_Tiger said:

It was the most numerous set available at my store at the beginning of the week. I haven't been back, but I could probably check today,

On 10/30/2017 at 4:07 AM, K_Tiger said:

Counted 13 at the local TrU today, looks like the free with $50 is still going, too.

Thanks for giving updates.

As for my local TRU, I know that majority of the stores were allocated a measly 48 units. The set comes in 16 units in 1 box. Each TRU I went to received 3 boxes only.

So.... that's why it's exclusive and limited. I don't know about the US though. Granted, US is considered to be a bigger market, then the allocation should be much bigger than just 48 units per store.