I know I'm late to the party, but I had this idea for a few weeks already and did some tests, and yesterday I had time to start building on the real version. I think it's wacky enough to partipicate, although the "wacky function" is not the most original, I admit. There's no drive, just rolling, and there's no suspension.

wackywheel_2017_take1_2.jpg

wackywheel_2017_take1_1.jpg

It's fully manual. It can roll (no drive, no fake engine whatsoever); and it can steer all eight bogies simultaniously. This means the vehicle doesn't "turn", the body keeps always facing the same way, but the wheels turn so it can drive anywhere it wants. There's also no "steering radius" - it can turn on the spot, which of course is an advantage in the race. Obviously, the top part (where the driver sits) turns the same way as the wheels.

The "wacky function", as you may have guessed from the springs you see behind the seat, is an ejector seat. Launching the driver forward gives a tiny advantage for the last few meters before the finish (assuming the winner is the driver who crosses the line first). And of course, it's a nice way to leave the vehicle quick and clean (how to enter the vehicle, I don't know).

I don't want to make this thing much more complicated, so I will be adding a nice cabin, and I will decide on a color scheme (I have some ideas already), make it a bit more sturdy and add a few details here and there, and that's pretty much it. It sounds doable to finish this before the deadline.

Edited by Erik Leppen

I have some progress! I added a cabin, with two movable side panels. This is neede becuase the cabin needs to "open" in some way to let the driver pass through. So it's linked to the ejector seat mechanism. I think it's rather cool. Also, I decided on a color scheme, using colors I think are rather original; I can't remember having ever seen these two colors together in a MOC.

wacky2017_take2_1.jpg

In case you're wondering, the purple is the old color from the Technic Competition sets of around the year 2000. During last and this year I have done a few large Bricklink orders and with every order I added various parts in cool colors, among which both Competition colors. Fortunately, when I order parts I always think in numbers of 2, 4, 8, etc, so I happened to have exactly enough of each beam type for this project. (16 of 4x6bent, 8 of 5x9bent, 16 of 1x7x0.5 is currently all purple that it uses)

wacky2017_take2_2.jpg

I could add a lot of extra connections and more strength to the frame, but I'm considering leaving it as it is now. It's relatively few parts and still relatively rigid (and it doesn't have to carry a lot of weight). And I kind of like the open structure. It would have been cool though if 5x7 frames existed in black.

The central structure with the turntable was very weak, I replaced it by something stronger; even though it's less modular now. (basically, there's 2 modules)

I'm not entirely happy with the back half of the cabin (the blue 4x6 and 5x9 beams), so I might change that into something cooler. The blue stud at the back is a handle for activating the mechanism.

On ‎8‎-‎10‎-‎2017 at 12:53 PM, HorcikDesigns said:

Do you plan to show the power of the catapult in short video? (please) :D

I will, but don't expect too much of it. It's powered by two of 8880's springs, and (now) it also powers the two side panels of the cabin that have to move out of the way. The mechanism does cheat a little though, by using those rubber 1x2 beams where you would expect a normal beam but then it doesn't fit.

On ‎8‎-‎10‎-‎2017 at 3:57 PM, mocbuild101 said:

I like it, it's very different, and perfect for Wacky Wheeeeeeeels! :laugh:

Thanks. I spent a lot of time just thinking of an idea, and when I thought of this I found it my best idea so far, so I went with it. 

On ‎8‎-‎10‎-‎2017 at 4:50 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Looks like some sort of spider-vehicle! The name should do with spiders, try adding some leg details.

I'm not sure about adding more details. Deadline is nearing and I want to keep it rather simple and focused. I have added some colors now that, I think, make it stand out more already. Also, about the name, what's cool is that without the wheels on, it looks as if you're operating eight dancing puppets that move in unison when you turn the upper knob. So I was thinking of something along the lines of "choreographer" as a name theme. But something spidery may do great as well. Not sure which way to go yet.

That color scheme is definitely one of the most original,maybe also one of the weirdest ones I've ever seen!I think it's going rather well, it seems like it functions good enough and the ejector seat is a bit on the unoriginal side, but I guess some things cant be avoided.When you don't have time, you have to make compromises...

Why don't you just name it " The Spider"? Makes sense to me , don't know about others.I guess it's like a spider whose legs got crushed... not the happiest thing in the world, but I guess the explanation works...

I have finished and added the entry post. I went for the name Arachne, meaning "spider".

wacky2017_2.jpg

Also, I changed a few details. I changed the color of the seat to purple, and added a headrest to the seat. This required moving the HOG two studs further back, unfortunately this makes its desing less "clean" because I had to add 3 8t gears to move two studs backwards without reversing the direction

It did enable me to change the design of the back half of the cabin. The gray is replaced by black and the large blue beams made place for a more intricate design with smaller parts and some panels. Personally I think it's an improvement.

Also, the HOG is now black instead of tan and I added some more purple parts to the bottom part.

wacky2017_5.jpg

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

See entry post for a video.

I's the most boring video of a Lego model ever, though.

Saw the video. Trust me, I've seen so much worse, and made worse too. The steering was so satisfying to watch :laugh:

The steering is amazing (and also inspiring). Really good work. 

When I saw the movement of it, while the central frame stays in initial position without any deflections, compass came to my mind... however, I really like the name Arachne, because it really looks like spider. 

PS: The colour scheme reminds me the Competition Technic line; there were similar structures to your entry. And that is good, IMO.

Edited by HorcikDesigns

Cool concept. I could use a setup like this for my EV3 robot. Some (or all) of the wheels need to be powered, but that won't be an issue.

Nice :thumbup:

My final thoughts:

+ amazing 16 wheel steering, purple and blue look great, awesome ejector seat!

- base structure is a bit empty...

Good luck! :wink: