Kit Bricksto

[MOC] [INSTRUCTIONS] UCS Tantive IV - CR-90 Corvette

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I’m having far too much fun with this in studio.io, tweaking things, then leaving it to render overnight for images and gifs. Work thinks I’m having a mid-life crisis (or that’s what I told them anyway lol).

Kit, if you’re ok with me sharing these here please say. Or I can share with you by email first. If not, kein problem.

Also just bought the ca 3000 bricks for the rocket section - that’ll be the first bit I build. 

Edited by Monkfiche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bricksmarlin Wow, that's an impressive fleet of B-Wings! 

What other models are you collecting parts for? There's definitely not that much LBG in my Tantive IV! :D 

@Monkfiche Not at all! Please post your renderings here, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in seeing them. :) Just don't post the LDD-files please.. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

@bricksmarlin Wow, that's an impressive fleet of B-Wings! 

What other models are you collecting parts for? There's definitely not that much LBG in my Tantive IV! :D

Thanks Kit,
that's true :wink: !
The other two main projects are onecase's
- Empire over Jedha
and
- ISD Monarch
I have all the rare/expensive parts for this three models!

full


At the moment I'm going through my black and dbg parts!
I think until the end of next week I'm ready for the last orders!

The goal line is to get all parts until September!
Than I have vacation and the time for at least one of this beautiful models!

Grüße Steffen

Edited by bricksmarlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some more pics - cheaply and quickly photoshopped, but I think still great to see.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Z3D1oRk

Of note, I've changed the middle section height, as I feel it connects to the engines a bit better. However... then I have to fix the top wing bits. I've got it at the moment with the wing connecting all the way to the liftable middle section - by towballs - so they can be easily disconnected and reconnected etc - also to allow access to the rear compartments. I'm not 100% happy with it at the moment, but have gone onto other things for now.

By doing that ... the radar needed raised up, but by doing so, the existing radar now looks a little small. So I've made the radar a bit bigger (might scale the width down 1 or 2 studs though). This way at least, if any star destroyers are chasing it, they are more likely to hit the radar when they fire. :)

I'm also going to add another compartment I think behind the radar, to put in the electronics for a lighting kit. It will literally be the reactor, so will also have some trans-red or orange whatevers in there. I've not looking to make it extravagant, but lights in the engines, then I might try side-lighting some transparent tiles in the cockpit / reactor / other areas, just like your tv might work ... a bit ambitious, and it probably won't look good / won't work at all. :)

Also, I'm working to get rid of the tiny gap that connects the engine block to the pyramidal connector thing (which then connects further to the main ship piece) - everything for except the corners I've figured out how to plug the gaps on. The corners I have no idea how to do!

I just love this moc Kit - I'm looking forward to finish with this, build it, then go back to the files and start making the more-military versions - recolouring things blue, add a few more quad lasers, add a bay for an a-wing or two ... ahem. Oh, and I've found an x-wing to scale to make too ... but finding an exact-ish millennium falcon is difficult - that might have to be a new moc. I also have a longer term plan to do something in Blender with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Monkfiche said:

Renders have been on all night!

https://imgur.com/gallery/YPY48gU

Guns are a bit smaller now, gaps are filled, but can't get radar any less wide without it appearing (to me) to be too tall.

Hi do you happen to have a Link to the to-scale X-Wing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Monkfiche said:

Renders have been on all night!

https://imgur.com/gallery/YPY48gU

Guns are a bit smaller now, gaps are filled, but can't get radar any less wide without it appearing (to me) to be too tall.

Damn I almost bought the wheels in LBG and decided to go with white, as it was more consistent with the movie and what Kit originally used, but the LBG definitely seems to work very well too !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tantive IV model is 125 studs, or 99.7cm /  39.3 inches long.

Kit’s taken the length of the “real” Tantive IV to be 126 metres long.

Wikipedia says an xwing is 12.5 metres long - which makes our maths suspiciously easy - as its almost spot on 10% the length of tantive. That makes our ideal xwing approx 12.5 studs long too.

Iperial_Fleet_Commander’s xwing (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/155349-moc-midi-scale-xwing-ywing-and-snowspeeder/) is 13 ish studs long it seems. I’ve not spent much time looking at it, but it does seem to be the right length ish at least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, AfolFree said:

Damn I almost bought the wheels in LBG and decided to go with white, as it was more consistent with the movie and what Kit originally used, but the LBG definitely seems to work very well too !

I love it in both. My guns are not quite inline with the movie though... but I will make several turrets that can be slotted in and out.

I’ve ordered all the lego now for the engine block now (minus the pyramidal connector bit) so in a week or so I should have some pics to share!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Last post from me for a while. Will just update this with key new renders.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gK6muTZ (low res, much better quality next link)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkkgolbwwj42s4y/tantive iv quality gif.gif?dl=0 (40mb gif, won't upload elsewhere. Will do a movie version of it and youtube it or something instead, but will need another overnight run)

Good quality static pic: https://imgur.com/a/2hfVUbF

@Kit Bricksto I've made some small amendments as you'll see (perhaps not with the current resolution, but if you can see them, I hope you like them. :)

 

Edited by Monkfiche
Better quality gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, bricksmarlin said:

Thanks Kit,
that's true :wink: !
The other two main projects are onecase's
- Empire over Jedha
and
- ISD Monarch
I have all the rare/expensive parts for this three models!

full


At the moment I'm going through my black and dbg parts!
I think until the end of next week I'm ready for the last orders!

The goal line is to get all parts until September!
Than I have vacation and the time for at least one of this beautiful models!

Grüße Steffen

How many Tantive's are you planning on building? Looks like you have enough engine parts for at least two or three there. :D
Those are some really ambitious projects you're building here but I think those two Star Destroyers will be more than worth the effort. :)

On 7/22/2019 at 10:14 PM, Monkfiche said:

Tantive IV model is 125 studs, or 99.7cm /  39.3 inches long.

Kit’s taken the length of the “real” Tantive IV to be 126 metres long.

Wikipedia says an xwing is 12.5 metres long - which makes our maths suspiciously easy - as its almost spot on 10% the length of tantive. That makes our ideal xwing approx 12.5 studs long too.

Iperial_Fleet_Commander’s xwing (https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/155349-moc-midi-scale-xwing-ywing-and-snowspeeder/) is 13 ish studs long it seems. I’ve not spent much time looking at it, but it does seem to be the right length ish at least.

 

I did, turns out that is not quite correct though. The Tantive IV appears to actually be 150m long, the CR-70 from Episode III is 126m long. I mixed up the measurements. What matters is that the proportions are correct though. :) I guess an X-Wing would be more like 10 studs long this way but I guess 12 should be close enough. :)
I see that you added some detail and tiles to the underside. I didn't really mind the underside-studs since the ship is very hard to see from beneath anyway but the additions certainly don't hurt the look. ;) The guns are a bit too large in my opinion but other than that they look really cool!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

How many Tantive's are you planning on building? Looks like you have enough engine parts for at least two or three there. :D 

Actually it would be possible to build four of them! *huh*
But for now, I will only build one tantive!
The wheels were the first parts I ordered!
There were two shops in Germany which had the wheels in larger quantities for a good price!
Because they were used parts I bought them all to choose the best ones!
But I think I'll use the wheels in LBG instead!

full

3 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Those are some really ambitious projects you're building here but I think those two Star Destroyers will be more than worth the effort. :)

Yep, pretty sure they will! :wub:

 

Edited by bricksmarlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

I see that you added some detail and tiles to the underside. I didn't really mind the underside-studs since the ship is very hard to see from beneath anyway but the additions certainly don't hurt the look. ;) The guns are a bit too large in my opinion but other than that they look really cool!

 

After creating a gif a few days ago, I realised that a potential display for this might be a rotating pedestal. That’s the only way I’ll get my wife to agree to putting it in the living or bed room! Then I got the itch to make the underside just as greebled as the topside! :)

Guns are a bit big indeed. Not sure if I’ll keep them that way, but will create a few different versions for the end. It’s certainly good fun in studio eh? :)

@bricksmarlin You’ll need to recreate your current Tantive IV collection too now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkfiche said:

@bricksmarlin You’ll need to recreate your current Tantive IV collection too now!

Pretty sure that would look awesome, but that's not going to happen!
I'm running out of space anyway!
After this three major projects I'm going to build more ships in minifig scale (X-Wings / Y-Wings / Tie Collection from Jerac)!

I'm curious how the Tantive will look like with your changes in the end!
Personally, I do not like to build something with LDD!
I'll see if I'm going to change something during the build!
Trial&Error as always!

Grüße Steffen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bricksmarlin I’m only using Studio - I’m a complete noob at all this, and I initially used LDD, but also hated it. I really don’t know the pros and cons of the software though. 

In Studio it’s great though - much more intuitive. I’ve cut the Tantive into modules, and can easily open sections up as needed. Only limitation so far is the inability lty to do things like curve hoses - which I was thinking of doing around some of the engine cylinders. 

It’s also cheaper to do it this way (build electronically first) - my wife officially says I’m not buying any more lego any time soon! So it will be a while before I get to build anything except the engine block. That however will give me time to figure out perhaps where I’ll put lights in etc, and as I’ve raised the rear fuselage up 2 studs, I’ll think about putting some additional detail inside  

cheers

chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 12:12 PM, Kit Bricksto said:

As the process of creating the instructions was very time consuming I will be asking for 15€ (or 17$ US if you live outside the EU) as a small compensation for the efforts involved. If you're interested in building your own Corellian Corvette please contact me via PM or FlickrMail.

I'd love to purchase instructions for this gorgeous model! The bridge and the fins along the sides near the back are so well done.

When I have 10 posts I'll PM you @Kit Bricksto. In the meantime feel free to PM me if you happen to see this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

All pieces of the engine now received (except for some small missing external parts which won’t hold up the build). Exciting times! Will post pictures in a few days.

Edit: built the main engine block now. Now onto the rockets!

edit2: nearing the end, I realise I should have ordered the small unattached pieces in the LDD file - now I know where they go!! Also, it’s a little fragile, so will get some MEK glue. First though, need to buy lights. Project, project, project! :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/0hzPZEH

Edited by Monkfiche
Link to image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 11:58 PM, Monkfiche said:

All pieces of the engine now received (except for some small missing external parts which won’t hold up the build). Exciting times! Will post pictures in a few days.

Edit: built the main engine block now. Now onto the rockets!

edit2: nearing the end, I realise I should have ordered the small unattached pieces in the LDD file - now I know where they go!! Also, it’s a little fragile, so will get some MEK glue. First though, need to buy lights. Project, project, project! :)

https://imgur.com/gallery/0hzPZEH

Glad to see that the instructions for that part seemed to have worked out okay, they really gave me a lot of headaches at the time, breaking down the complex shape into manageable sections that still fit together in a logical order. 

It stays together fine without glue for me but you do have to be careful with it. Especially if you want to put lights in it I'd maybe wait with glueing things or even consider modifying the structure a bit if you're building in light channels anyway? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2019 at 12:12 PM, Kit Bricksto said:

Glad to see that the instructions for that part seemed to have worked out okay, they really gave me a lot of headaches at the time, breaking down the complex shape into manageable sections that still fit together in a logical order. 

It stays together fine without glue for me but you do have to be careful with it. Especially if you want to put lights in it I'd maybe wait with glueing things or even consider modifying the structure a bit if you're building in light channels anyway? 

The engine instructions were good thanks. Yeah, I might need to change things a little for the lights. For example, I’m adding a 1x1 gap behind a 1 x 2 grill, in two inside-facing engine-panels in the middle row of engines (know where i mean?), then I can hide a red LED in those two engines. That hopefully should result in some nice discreet lighting, and if it looks terrible, they’ll never get used, and people won’t be able to see the grill gap.

I ordered a Light My Bricks Tantive kit, and the plan is to retrofit it to your moc, but with less brash external lighting. I’ll find where the channels should be when it arrives  

They also have “NC Push” switches - switches that only turn on when a door is opened etc - and it would be pretty cool to put one or more in the four hinged panels in the engine block. One could turn on the engines, another the red leds I mentioned, and perhaps the other two toggle on lights at the front of the ship. 

Update: lights arrived. As expected, the 30cm long lights are not long enough. Will need to order a bunch of the smallest expansion boards and expansion cables. Will hold up the build. I tried one of the lights in an engine though, and it does indeed look cool.

Been playing around in Stud.io with an aim to tone down the guns, and here is a current build in 5K (https://imgur.com/a/0foFuhP has current changes noted).

FbxXtna.jpg:

 

 

Edited by Monkfiche
Update on build

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, 

@Monkfiche made me aware of a LBG 1x6 Technic Brick missing from the parts list. Unfortunately it'll probably take me a while to change the list since I don't have access to the files right now but I thought I'd let you all know to watch out for that part! 

Cheers, Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly! Sorry for the mistake!

If anyone else notices any more just post them here and I'll check them as soon as possible. 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 1:30 PM, Kit Bricksto said:

Exactly! Sorry for the mistake!

If anyone else notices any more just post them here and I'll check them as soon as possible. 

Cheers!

If anyone is using the LDD file instead of the instructions (I'm doing so, as only buying engines first, so need to make my own parts list etc), there is just one of these missing parts. If you are looking at the ship from behind, it's in the second from the bottom left's engine.

Edit: I’ve added engine undercarriage doors that can open and close (it works in studio at least). The doors open differently to in in Clone Wars (“slide open”-ish vs turn open in clone wars), but I like this much better. I’ll add greebling to it and also build actual undercarriage that can will click on, as there won’t be space for it to actually retract. WIP:

https://imgur.com/a/5o3o1xz

Edit2: more landing gear pics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/iZrAFDh

Edit3: Gif uploaded

https://imgur.com/gallery/VK1vO95

Edit4: front landing gear

YBCyz4s.jpg

I am more than willing to hear any feedback on this. I've seen the vid from Clone Wars, and actually, that is a modded CR-70 I believe. This would also be a mod! :) But saying all that, if anyone can suggest any weight bearing alternatives, that would be great.

Edited by Monkfiche
Front landing gear draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.