Kit Bricksto

[MOC] [INSTRUCTIONS] UCS Tantive IV - CR-90 Corvette

On 9/27/2019 at 5:18 AM, viptouge said:

Just completed @Kristof Tantive IV and I must say it's pretty massive! Here are some pictures of it sitting next to @onecase Monarch and Cavegod's Sandcrawler for size comparison.

48801809651_d51b23a693_h.jpg

48801461048_8472ebac04_h.jpg

48801809731_2c4fadf9f7_h.jpg

48801954522_5e4cefc109_h.jpg

48801954567_0f44bb3b23_h.jpg

48801461818_b1119a1ca7_h.jpg

Hey viptouge, can you tell us something about your display case: you build it on your own? You buyed it? Where? Which material.

Looks fantastic!!

And another question. The little "car" that comes out of the sandcrawler....is it a set or a moc? Is there a instruction available somewhere??

Edited by treffer21

Hey @treffer21

I was looking for a large display case but didn't want to spent the money for a Moducase so I decided to make my own.

I purchase a industrial warehouse rack that I found on Craigslist. They offer many different sizes and are very easy to assemble. I purchase the two level rack for $115 which includes the top and bottom unfinished wood.

Link to Craigslist ad: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mad/d/industrial-shelving-warehouse-rack-72/6982684050.html

I also purchased a large sheet of wood to make the side panels and some black interior paint from Home depot. The front plexiglass was ordered online from home depot for about $100 and its held on by two long strips of Velcro. For the lighting I got some aquarium lighting off amazon.

The final cost was about $350.

I made the little car from the extra parts I had left over from building the Sandcrawler. The base of the car came from the Lego 75198 set and I just added parts to it.

17 hours ago, viptouge said:

Hey @treffer21

I was looking for a large display case but didn't want to spent the money for a Moducase so I decided to make my own.

I purchase a industrial warehouse rack that I found on Craigslist. They offer many different sizes and are very easy to assemble. I purchase the two level rack for $115 which includes the top and bottom unfinished wood.

Link to Craigslist ad: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mad/d/industrial-shelving-warehouse-rack-72/6982684050.html

I also purchased a large sheet of wood to make the side panels and some black interior paint from Home depot. The front plexiglass was ordered online from home depot for about $100 and its held on by two long strips of Velcro. For the lighting I got some aquarium lighting off amazon.

The final cost was about $350.

I made the little car from the extra parts I had left over from building the Sandcrawler. The base of the car came from the Lego 75198 set and I just added parts to it.

Thanks a lot @viptouge for the detailed answer!!

Here's a quick update on the engine piping. It'll definitely have to be a soft 3mm hose that is used here, as the rigid and the soft flexible axle (received) are both too... rigid!

vqJXqZx.jpg

Gallery: 

https://imgur.com/a/X0cuTbS

You can see some other small tweaks - the smallest, but biggest is the increase of height / width of the engines by a small amount (a tile's amount I think), but that single tile is spread evenly above/below and sides of the engine. I think it is worth it (so far...), but this odd LDU stepping does cause the internal rigging to be much bigger than the originals. These contribute significantly to the new part count ... 8900 pieces ... will come back and review the internals at a later date ...

On 10/1/2019 at 9:55 PM, ClassicLook said:

Do we already have a "SW UCS style" graphics for the plaquette?

Yes! I completly forgot that I actually finished the sticker ages ago..! When printed at 96 x 48 mm it should fit the 6 x 12 tile, might need some minor trimming though to account for the slightly rounded edges of the Lego tile.

48886251517_51afe4f149_c.jpgTantive IV UCS Plaque by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

@Monkfiche I like your greebling additions. Just make sure not to make the individual engines too heavy or they might not hold up anymore without additional structural work inside the core of the engine block.

13 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Yes! I completly forgot that I actually finished the sticker ages ago..! When printed at 96 x 48 mm it should fit the 6 x 12 tile, might need some minor trimming though to account for the slightly rounded edges of the Lego tile.

Thanks a lot! I've just started to create one on my own... :look:

If I have time, I'm going to finish it for myself, but untill then, I download your version.

Edited by ClassicLook

Hello Everyone,

I was so motivated to finish my sticker, that I've spent a night to perform it. I thought I share with you.

It's very similiar to @Kit Bricksto's version with a few differencies. I tried to catch the design what we have on the latest sets (Slave I, Y-wing, TIE Fighter).

I haven't used the TM and LFL sign. The title is different and the description is copied from a UCS Sticker-producing website, plus it has an other font type with a black outline/stroke.

I haven't found the same Star Wars logo, that is used in the official UCS stickers, so I put on a bit thicker version (it was cropped from the "Last Jedi" title).

The exact print size is 122x57 mm.

48890444626_8bfbc5f0f6_c.jpgTantive IV sticker by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Edited by ClassicLook

@Brick-Wombat thanks - most appreciated!

@Kit Bricksto I still need to revisit the engines, but I just need to add two odd-LDU beams inside, and those should reduce their weight and also make them more robust. Even like that though, they aren’t as robust as yours so I might need to see if there are more technic pieces that I could buff up the interior with.

Here is a very draft / highly broken / needs internal greebling of a rearranged interior (Leia’s corridor area is a few studs higher, so it will also have an extra reinforced framework underneath to support the bigger weight.) The inspiration for this was the new ISD UCS - Vader isn’t on the ISD!! So if he isn’t there... where else would he be? :)

U7uIO8G.jpg

And some more pics (will add a few more onto here as the renders complete):

https://imgur.com/a/hS0K5L7

Edited by Monkfiche
Minifigs are v basic as stud.io isn’t as good at representing them without adding time intensive decals onto eveverything.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:23 PM, Monkfiche said:

@Brick-Wombat thanks - most appreciated!

@Kit Bricksto I still need to revisit the engines, but I just need to add two odd-LDU beams inside, and those should reduce their weight and also make them more robust. Even like that though, they aren’t as robust as yours so I might need to see if there are more technic pieces that I could buff up the interior with.

Here is a very draft / highly broken / needs internal greebling of a rearranged interior (Leia’s corridor area is a few studs higher, so it will also have an extra reinforced framework underneath to support the bigger weight.) The inspiration for this was the new ISD UCS - Vader isn’t on the ISD!! So if he isn’t there... where else would he be? :)

I love your internal design! First, I'm going to build Kit's work, but since it's a big model, it gives many oppurtunities for further mods.

I'm just finished the UCS plaque:

49045009967_3cab14683e_b.jpgDSC_0005 másolat másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to apply the sticker without bubbles (it was my second try)... but from this angle it cannot be seen.

I'm at around 70% with the parts, I'm going to finish the framework and the stands in a few days.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:54 PM, ClassicLook said:

I love your internal design! First, I'm going to build Kit's work, but since it's a big model, it gives many oppurtunities for further mods.

I'm just finished the UCS plaque:

49045009967_3cab14683e_b.jpgDSC_0005 másolat másolat by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to apply the sticker without bubbles (it was my second try)... but from this angle it cannot be seen.

I'm at around 70% with the parts, I'm going to finish the framework and the stands in a few days.

@ClassicLook Feel free to post your in-progress and other pics - it’ll get us all fired up again! :)

I’ll try do some more interior work this week and get some renders done too. Looking forward to seeing more of the cr90 (or is it a 70?) in ep9 though, and not going to finish my tweaks till after that. 

Hi @Kit Bricksto I'm in the (very slow) process of checking off a load of Bricklink deliveries having depleted the UK of jumper plates and Large White wheels (well it at least seems like this). I've deliberately gone for used bricks so I'll have random white/yellowed tiles over the model and some bricks with marks from their previous life.

I'm hoping to build it somewhere between now and Christmas, it means tidying up a shelf (taking apart a few models and hiding some boxes) to get the display space.

A few q's ...

How easy is the model to transport when built ? is it fragile or are there specific places to lift it from ?

Has anyone attempted to turn the Conference hall into a corridor with a side bit for Leia and R2 ? Not sure if there's enough volume for this ?

Also does anyone know what the Crew should be ? Would the pilots/cockpit crew be Rebel Fleet Troopers ? and then a Wedge in the same style outfit as the "commander" ?

Ignore the text below here ... it won't let me delete it !

Hi @Kit Bricksto

Edited by Seasider

@ClassicLook That sticker looks great. Where did you print it?

@Seasider - I have never tried to lift the model in one piece since the engine block is so heavy that I never expected it to be possible. I have transported it around the house in two parts quite easily though. Just slide the engine block out of the main ship and then carefully turn in so that it stands on the back ends of the thrusters. That way the weight is distributed nice and evenly. The best spots to pick up the engine block are around it's core but where to hold it depends on how big your hands are, I guess. I think you should get a good feeling for the strong spots while building it though. :)

- I never even thought about putting the corridor into the main section but there is quite a lot of room in there. I think you should be able to fit in the scene quite easily! I'd love to see your take on that. 

- Looks like the crew consists of Rebel Soldiers in Rogue One:
D0YAjRzXcAAPrm5.jpg

P2jtLO5.jpg

But the ROTS screenshot shows different outfits. That was before the era of the rebelion though, so I guess it depends on which version you want to go for. Also wasn't the ship in ROTS actually a CR70 not the CR90 Tantive IV? I'll have to watch that film again..

I’m definitely aiming for Star Wars (a New Hope) rather than anything earlier or later, noting the Corvette in the final trailer for Episode 9 that people think may still be the  or at least a sister ship.

I was aiming to put a load of fleet troopers in it along with Leia but wasn’t sure about the cockpit crew. Thanks for the pic from Rogue One, I do like that film, and the one shot in the film that gives me goosebumps every time is when the Tantive drops out of the docking bay to run from Vader.

i hope to start building in a couple of weeks once I’ve finished bricklinking it and dismantled a few sets to clear the shelf space.

i might try and make a local CAD model of your conference room to work out how the corridor I want would look

16 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

@ClassicLook That sticker looks great. Where did you print it?

There's a talented grafic designer in a hungarian FB forum, who produces custom stickers. I've asked him to print my design. The blue is a little purplish in real, but I'm satisfied with the final result.

I've wachted Rouge One again recently and I've taken a big attention to the ship. It appears quite a lot in the movie and it was pleased to see the cockpit's interior.

Since it's not a minifigure sized model, I'm not going to overcomplicate the crew, I'd like to have the same figs as in the latest official Tantive IV set.

Quick q but what is the difference between a U and O clip 1x1 plates?

I'm sorting through my orders and not sure which are which

and importantly are they different in their function/use in this model?

5 hours ago, Seasider said:

Quick q but what is the difference between a U and O clip 1x1 plates?

I'm sorting through my orders and not sure which are which

and importantly are they different in their function/use in this model?

In my opinion they have no differencies in function.

Hey, @Kit Bricksto, I know this is completely unrelated but, can you please send me the LDD for the T-70 X-Wing MOC? The one you posted a few years ago doesn't work.

I love the design and i plan on building one but in the color scheme of Green and White for the upcoming Star Wars movie.

Thanks, Stormie

Edited by StormieBuilds
so i can tag da homie

I saw the new Battlefront (?) Star Wars trailer a few days ago and there is a CR-90 or CR-70 / other variant in the trailer. 

Of note, we have a shot that may give a new / probably contradictory size guide to the ship:

VNsrhhb.png

It got me editing my file again, and whilst I did try replicating that shot... it looks a little silly in Lego. :)

Here are a few renders of the ship currently - I’ve still got to get the “wings” to connect to the middle section, but it’s coming along. Guns are probably finalised now - they have full rotation and can fire at any target that can see them. Slight amount of artistic license there, same as the undercarriage bits. 

Gangway slightly modified on the outside too (slopes), which required... recreating the internal structure - with double layered technic square/rectangle bits, which reach slightly into the cockpit - to provide more stability.

Radar slightly modded as well from last version to also allow it to rotate / point anywhere. 

I’m not quite sure how to replicate the “sheath” bit on the engine tubing, but came up with a potential solution in the pics.

Middle section grey fronts now also connected up.

Most important current change though I found a legal (I thought I’d have to cut it lol) way to fill in the corner gaps on the engine-connecting piece. That was doing my head in, so happy to figure it out. I’ll add a pic into the gallery below so you can see what it looked like before.

Watching the film on Saturday, so no doubt there will be some other inspiration for us coming along shortly!

yRlld9B.png

Current other renders:

https://imgur.com/a/vUbNZ0S

On 12/17/2019 at 8:42 PM, Monkfiche said:

It got me editing my file again, and whilst I did try replicating that shot... it looks a little silly in Lego. :)

Here are a few renders of the ship currently - I’ve still got to get the “wings” to connect to the middle section, but it’s coming along. Guns are probably finalised now - they have full rotation and can fire at any target that can see them. Slight amount of artistic license there, same as the undercarriage bits. 

Gangway slightly modified on the outside too (slopes), which required... recreating the internal structure - with double layered technic square/rectangle bits, which reach slightly into the cockpit - to provide more stability.

Radar slightly modded as well from last version to also allow it to rotate / point anywhere. 

I’m not quite sure how to replicate the “sheath” bit on the engine tubing, but came up with a potential solution in the pics.

Middle section grey fronts now also connected up.

Most important current change though I found a legal (I thought I’d have to cut it lol) way to fill in the corner gaps on the engine-connecting piece. That was doing my head in, so happy to figure it out. I’ll add a pic into the gallery below so you can see what it looked like before.

Current other renders:

https://imgur.com/a/vUbNZ0S

Your MODs and renders are amazing. I can't wait to see, how they come together in bricks. When you're done, I would be happy to copy some design from you in case of you share the detalis. I'm going to finish my model in a few weeks, but I'm planning to work on it later. Are your MODs affect the inner structure?

15 hours ago, ClassicLook said:

Your MODs and renders are amazing. I can't wait to see, how they come together in bricks. When you're done, I would be happy to copy some design from you in case of you share the detalis. I'm going to finish my model in a few weeks, but I'm planning to work on it later. Are your MODs affect the inner structure?

Thanks and happy to share the files with those who purchased from Kit. Good idea to do it once I’ve built it though, as no doubt small (and large!) issues will pop up in the actual building process. 

The supporting structure is largely the same, though it’s changed up a bit for the cockpit, gangway, and individual engines. I do need to review it for the section around the radar though, as I raised that section up slightly, so that could make room for some strengthening of the structure there. 

@Kit BrickstoHi there, Unfortunately the forum won’t let me PM you since I’m a new member, and was wondering if your able to message me with the purchase instructions for the Tantive IV! Really incredible model and hope to hear from you.

Hi guys, I finally started building the cockpit at the weekend (good news, the window area all works fine in real life), then did some bricklinking, then did some more changes (probably the wrong order...). Need to put a line in the sand... anyway, here is a small animation of how the cockpit is looking at the moment:

ZZPV9h3.gif

And a static shot:

D9k7lq1.jpg

And possibly the final decal for this:

3gam0dH.jpg

Edited by Monkfiche
Also figured out how to use decals in stud.io!