Kit Bricksto

[MOC] [INSTRUCTIONS] UCS Tantive IV - CR-90 Corvette

@Kit Bricksto Hello Kit, I'd like to purchase your instructions but this forum wont let me send you a private message since this account is new. Would you be so kind to send me a message with the payment instructions? Thanks in advance.

21 hours ago, ClassicLook said:

10% of the parts have been ordered. I've just started to collect them, since I ran numberous projects lately. Hopefully, I will complete it within a year.

Has anyone finished it besides @Kit Bricksto?

I got all the bricks for the engine, and built it up, but the build-part of the project is currently stalled due to needing more components for lighting, wondering whether to really implement the landing gear (feedback welcomed), and some balancing tweaks I need to make because of other tweaks I made.

I am going to give myself a deadline to finish it by end of January though, as any time later and my newly discovered twins will be born... and then all lego projects are off!!!

Just looked throught the part list and the white jumpers caught my eyes... Are really 442-448 pieces needed? Where are they located? I've seen them mostly at the engines according to the instructions. I think it is not so important to have them all in the same version (with or without groove), so I think I'm going to mix them.

@ClassicLook Yes they are actually all neccessary. Each engine requires 24 (well, two only need 20 because of the red stripes) so that already makes 256 and almost all the others are needed for the "neck" and the cockpit with another 30 or so going into the various turrets. Those 442 should work with any type though so you can mix those. For the 6 jumpers of the newest style it is actually important to have the right type though because they attach to the middle of their underside, which isn't possible with the old ones, so make sure to get six of those.

I just quickly went through the LDD file to be sure just now and the engines, neck, gun turrets and cockpit use 432 jumpers (+ the 6 new ones) and there's bound to be 10 more in different places all over the model that I didn't find just now. So I'm sorry but I'm afraid that number is no mistake in the parts list.. I didn't actually realize how many jumpers went into this until now myself!

2 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

For the 6 jumpers of the newest style it is actually important to have the right type though because they attach to the middle of their underside, which isn't possible with the old ones, so make sure to get six of those.

So I'm sorry but I'm afraid that number is no mistake in the parts list.. I didn't actually realize how many jumpers went into this until now myself!

Thank you for the information! It's just so much jumpers... But it's a big ship with clever building technics, so it makes sense. 

I know now, why the 6 new one are necessary.

Edited by ClassicLook

This is an amazing MOC, and one thing I notice is how using less different colours makes the MOC looks so much more accurate than the set, which uses dark and light greys as well. This applies to a lot of sets

On 5/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, Kit Bricksto said:

I wanted to thank everyone who has decided to start building this model for themselves! The excitement all of you have shown so far really makes me look forward to seeing the first WIP-pictures, build feedback and especially modifications to the design! I've heard people considering microscale interiors and all sorts of cool modifications to the ship itself! So please keep me posted on your progress and I'm always happy to help whenever I can along the way, too! :)

Have fun building everyone! And if you want to join in, just PM me for the instructions!

Kit, I'm unable to PM you for unknown reason. I really want to purchase the instructions. Your MOC looks really awesome ! Can’t Wait to start this project !

Could you PM me with purchase instructions?  

thank you !

Hello! 

I am looking to purchase the instructions, but I am unable to PM you because I have no posts. Please get back to me when you have time! 

Best,

Matt Hopson

Hey guys,

Enjoyed my weekend working on this beast and it's almost complete. Just waiting on a few missing pieces to come in the mail before I can finish her off and thought I share some photos.

48784146802_dc1a6cf87a_h.jpg

48784147062_ab44811690_h.jpg

48783619283_67ab74239f_h.jpg

48784146612_b8127b79dc_h.jpg

48783982316_764d326075_h.jpg

48783618088_da3c0c370d_h.jpg

48784145677_ffe0fb4f65_h.jpg

Edited by viptouge

1 hour ago, viptouge said:

Hey guys,

Enjoyed my weekend working on this beast and it's almost complete. Just waiting on a few missing pieces to come in the mail before I can finish her off and thought I share some photos.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! I would love to see a size comparison to UCS SW models. Is it possible?

Edited by ClassicLook

@viptouge Wow, feels really weird to see "my model" in someone elses house! :D You were incredibly quick with buying the parts and building the whole thing! 

@ClassicLook I would definitely like to see that too! I don't own any UCS sets myself but I'd be very interested in seeing how it compares to the Star Destroyer for instance.. ;) 

20 hours ago, ClassicLook said:

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! I would love to see a size comparison to UCS SW models. Is it possible?

19 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

@viptouge Wow, feels really weird to see "my model" in someone elses house! :D You were incredibly quick with buying the parts and building the whole thing! 

@ClassicLook I would definitely like to see that too! I don't own any UCS sets myself but I'd be very interested in seeing how it compares to the Star Destroyer for instance.. ;) 

I'll post some pictures with my other models this weekend for size comparison. 

6 hours ago, WTFett said:

Looks great, viptouge:thumbup:

Thanks!

Very cool! I’m itching to get started properly, and will probably treat myself to it soon...

In the meantime, still tweaking things. Here is an almost complete current version of the cockpit... 

I’ve tried many other other ways of brickbuilding cones, but given up on those designs, as they kinda work, but need a lot more work, and need a lot of internal rigging that compromise the insides.

he9n4cu.jpg

Edited by Monkfiche
Updated image: rigged centre line

@Monkfiche I really like your version of the cockpit window!! And while I agree that the angle of the cone looks more accurate the steps are kind of more obvious like this.. might look different in real life though. Either way, looking forward to seeing your modified version built! 

Edited by Kit Bricksto

21 minutes ago, Kit Bricksto said:

@Monkfiche I really like your version of the cockpit window!! And while I agree that the angle of the cone looks more accurate like this the steps are kind of more obvious like this.. might look different in real life though. Either way, looking forward to seeing your modified version built! 

I totally agree with you - it is that much more blocky! From a certain angle though, it can work hehe. Here's kinda what it will look like, reattached to the main ship. https://imgur.com/a/dwXDajU

Trying to get the cockpit angles a bit steeper ... I tried this to start with (stupidly referring to a piece of art where the cone was slightly curved)... https://imgur.com/a/oQppMuU.

Then I tried doing this... https://imgur.com/a/nDk3w7W... but it looks more like Princess Leia with her bread-hair / a football. It would need significant rework, starting the cone further out at one of the curved red bits, and making the centre-line thinner too. All that is possible ... but the internal rigging alone would likely be even more frustrating (one of the pics shows the inside of the top of the cockpit at one time), and end up with no space for the minifigs inside. And it'll end up very stud-full, have plenty of tiny gaps, and look messy, which isn't in the same style as the rest of the ship. So I gave up. :)

The corners for the windows were good fun though, and really easy in comparison - especially attaching it your version, your insides are clean & nice / have no internal rigging!

@Monkfiche Unexpectedly, I am quite keen on the steeper version... not sure haha. The blockier look is certainly present but looks less bad than I would have anticipated. It might easily look even better IRL, renders tend to accent the shadows unrealistically. The window is excellent for sure! I don't think I do like the raised centerline. It kinda looks like a Tantive sporting mohawk haircut :D Did you try making a version without it?

Edit: Now I am thinking that it might help to somehow break up the consistency in those stepped rings. The front really does look excellent and that's I think because it disguises that wedding cake kind of look.

Edited by Kristof
Afterthought

14 hours ago, Kristof said:

@Monkfiche Unexpectedly, I am quite keen on the steeper version... not sure haha. The blockier look is certainly present but looks less bad than I would have anticipated. It might easily look even better IRL, renders tend to accent the shadows unrealistically. The window is excellent for sure! I don't think I do like the raised centerline. It kinda looks like a Tantive sporting mohawk haircut :D Did you try making a version without it?

Edit: Now I am thinking that it might help to somehow break up the consistency in those stepped rings. The front really does look excellent and that's I think because it disguises that wedding cake kind of look.

@KristofOn the centre line, it’s just the first attempt - I’ll play around with it still. I can’t remember the name of piece I used in that pic, but I was mainly surprised it fitted reasonably well (though that big piece combined with the “eyebrows” and grill piece at the front being slightly offset, means I have three things needing rigged underneath... it’s painful). 

I’ll have a go at a a smoother centre line and come back here (edit: https://imgur.com/a/ubJ5HdM). Should be (is) much easier to rig it underneath  

I’ve also tried stepping heights of 4LDU and 6LDU (current is 8LDU I believe), to try and make the steps smaller, but instead use more steps (edit: some examples https://imgur.com/a/mnKGoio). That also doesn't really work, as it becomes very obviously blocky (at least on renders). I’m hitting walls a lot, but a bit of me is just going to buy bricks for all my main cockpit variants, and see how it goes. 

Edit 2: rotating gif with smooth centreline. https://imgur.com/a/MPO9P4s

Edited by Monkfiche
Edit: link to smooth centre line images & also offset trials. Edit 2: gif

Just completed @Kristof Tantive IV and I must say it's pretty massive! Here are some pictures of it sitting next to @onecase Monarch and Cavegod's Sandcrawler for size comparison.

48801809651_d51b23a693_h.jpg

48801461048_8472ebac04_h.jpg

48801809731_2c4fadf9f7_h.jpg

48801954522_5e4cefc109_h.jpg

48801954567_0f44bb3b23_h.jpg

48801461818_b1119a1ca7_h.jpg

Edited by viptouge

17 hours ago, viptouge said:

Just completed @Kristof Tantive IV and I must say it's pretty massive! Here are some pictures of it sitting next to @onecase Monarch and Cavegod's Sandcrawler for size comparison.

What an awesome collection! Tantive IV fits perfectly in it. Thank you for the pictures, now I can imagine how big it is.

Does anyone know if it is possible get the flexible technic axles to sit in the same position, like I have on the engines here? Or am I wasting my time? No idea how posable they are. I’m thinking it *might* work if they are both tight and rotated / twisted at one end, to introduce torque to them.

https://imgur.com/a/zgSScFi

Edited by Monkfiche
Torque idea

@viptouge Wow, that is some collection you have there! Really like how you are displaying it, too. For me the comparison with those other models just made me realize how huge those other vehicles are. Looks like the UCS Falcon is only barely shorter than my Tantive.. wow..

@Monkfiche Not quite sure if I am thinking of the right parts but I remember the ones from the 2010? Quidditch set to be quite stiff. In fact the 1x1 bricks with two studs that they were stuck in to create the golden hoops had cracks in them. I guess it's worth a try though. Maybe just build one test-engine with parts you already have on hand to try it out?