Kit Bricksto

[MOC] [INSTRUCTIONS] UCS Tantive IV - CR-90 Corvette

INSTRUCTIONS  are available now! Check out this post for further details:

So here she is, finally! I had planned to build this for the 40th anniversary of "A New Hope" in March but I never managed to finish it in time. Well, at least it's still the right year.. :D

37297056970_5b6033656a_b.jpgTantive IV (1) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

Although I quite like the official Lego sets for the Tantive IV their proportions were highly inaccurate. I tried to get as close to the original as possible with this model.
To get the scale right I started with the hardest part: the cockpit. I wanted it to fit at least two minifigures and that pretty much set the scale for the entire model.

23703313458_1844e2dfb6_b.jpgTantive IV (2) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

The CR-90 Corvette is 126 metres long in universe. My model is pretty much exactly 126 studs long, which makes it 1/3 of minifig scale and to scale with the microfigs. This should give you an idea of just how huge the ships in the Star Wars galaxy are.

23703312798_5551721b94_b.jpgTantive IV (3) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

The top view shows best how off the proportions of the sets (both UCS and playscale) are. The corvette is much longer and sleeker than the Lego-models.

37507352746_fce36247fe_b.jpgTantive IV (4) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

The cockpit was the first part of the model I built. I started off with an all-studs-exposed version but didn't like the feel of it, so I tried to figure out a way to get it as smooth as possible. This worked out quite a lot better than I had hoped.

37297055540_eafbcc1151_b.jpgTantive IV (5) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

One of the trickiest sections to get right was the connection between the cockpit and the main hull. At this point three cylinders meet which is always hard to get right in Lego-form.

37507351596_6b28dd0eac_b.jpgTantive IV (6) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

And of course I can't build anything without adding some interior detail, too. This did result in the main body of the ship being a little larger than it should but personally I don't mind so much.

37523781162_d3487b8496_b.jpgTantive IV (7) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

The cockpit seats two pilots and two communications officers. The captain can stand behind the pilots and oversee all manouvers.

37507349606_1374be5e0a_b.jpgTantive IV (8) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

The main body houses a conference room, that seats four minifigs comfortably, even leaving room for a protocol droid.
Behind the conference room there are two comm-stations, one of which has just received the Death-Star plans!

37555398841_22109ec226_b.jpgTantive IV (9) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

Aft of the comm-stations there is the access-tunnel to the escape pods, where C3PO is looking for R2-D2.

37555397331_eb5b1e7ff7_b.jpgTantive IV (10) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

And finally, in the tower underneath the radar dish, there is room for one more crew-member manning the radar-station.

37555396451_e5299a9442_b.jpgTantive IV (11) by Kit Bricksto, on Flickr

I really hope you like it. This project has been a real work of passion for me and I am very happy to have finished it. Please leave a comment if you like it, I'd really appreciate it! And if you don't like it, well, constructive criticism is just as welcome! ;)

Cheers, Kit

Edited by Kit Bricksto

Hello, Kit!

Great job, it looks fantastic, I especially like the cockpit shape and how you have used the transparent pieces! Awesome job with getting an interior into the model as well!

Also, I think you meant to put 40th anniversary, not 50th! :laugh:

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

Impressive.  Most... impressive.  :wink:

I especially like all the detail down the centerline of the ship body.  Great build!

This is incredible!  Love the interior details and the overall flush design, almost makes it not look like Lego!

11 hours ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Hello, Kit!

Great job, it looks fantastic, I especially like the cockpit shape and how you have used the transparent pieces! Awesome job with getting an interior into the model as well!

Also, I think you meant to put 40th anniversary, not 50th! :laugh:

Kind regards, Ellis.

Thank you, Ellis! 

Yes, those things were very important to me. 

Of course I do.. :D Thanks for pointing it out! ;)

10 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

UCS details and minifigure scaled interior play spaces? Epic!

10 hours ago, LegoRacer1 said:

Outstanding build there mate.

10 hours ago, deraven said:

Impressive.  Most... impressive.  :wink:

I especially like all the detail down the centerline of the ship body.  Great build!

8 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

This is incredible!  Love the interior details and the overall flush design, almost makes it not look like Lego!

3 hours ago, manglegrat said:

Beautiful as just a display model and playable with minifigs at the same time - major kudos for achieving both goals @Kit Bricksto

:classic::thumbup:

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the positive feedback! :) 

9 hours ago, Gusseteer said:

Wow, excellent work. How many pieces is it? Love the shot showing the scale with the microfig.

Thanks! I'm afraid I have no idea how many pieces it is, a few thousand. Probably around 6000-8000 but I really don't know. There are a lot of jumper-plates in it to create curves though, each engine has 26 jumpers. That makes about 290 parts just in jumpers for the engines.. 

Wow, just wow!  This is incredible!  Perhaps my only criticism is how clean it looks.  Needs some wear and tear ;-)

Really awesome that you managed to get the outside to be accurate and then went ahead and included play details inside. Some really nice detailing and greebling on the outside too. IMO the time and effort really show.

On 8. Oktober 2017 at 1:17 PM, Azrielsc said:

Oh wow oh wow oh wow! :classic: Love it!

On 8. Oktober 2017 at 3:13 PM, peedeejay said:

It's a beauty!

On 9. Oktober 2017 at 9:19 AM, Flandy said:

This is absolutely fantastic! Very nice work sir!

23 hours ago, Kodan Black said:

Really awesome that you managed to get the outside to be accurate and then went ahead and included play details inside. Some really nice detailing and greebling on the outside too. IMO the time and effort really show.

Thanks so much guys! Your feedback is really appreciated! :) 

On 8. Oktober 2017 at 11:07 PM, blbills said:

Wow, just wow!  This is incredible!  Perhaps my only criticism is how clean it looks.  Needs some wear and tear ;-)

Thanks! Yeah, you're not the first to suggest that. ;) I would have liked to have added some more damage like on the red part you can see in the top-view but that was really hard to do with all the slopes and curves. And too many off-colored panels would have looked too messy in my opinion. 

Incredible build, I don't care that this was late! :wink: It looks amazing, I love how sleek it is, that really adds to the model. Great shot with the microfig, by the way. Any idea how much the parts for this would cost? Not that I could currently afford it, but maybe way out in the future...

Very nice! ....but why are the main gun batteries so small? Looks like you used Mortesv's design. Also, I think a brick-built antenna would look much better as that is too small for your scale too. Maybe try one similar to the rectangular one from the Millennium Falcon.

On 10. Oktober 2017 at 7:58 PM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Incredible build, I don't care that this was late! :wink: It looks amazing, I love how sleek it is, that really adds to the model. Great shot with the microfig, by the way. Any idea how much the parts for this would cost? Not that I could currently afford it, but maybe way out in the future...

Thank you very much! Yeah, I was quite happy that the microfiber happened to be the right scale. 

I really don't know. I already had quite a lot of them in my collection and most of the tiles and 1x3 curved slopes were found in a shop selling used Lego by the kilogram, which probably saved me quite a bit of money. 

17 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

Very nice! ....but why are the main gun batteries so small? Looks like you used Mortesv's design. Also, I think a brick-built antenna would look much better as that is too small for your scale too. Maybe try one similar to the rectangular one from the Millennium Falcon.

They are so small because it fits my reference images and I must say that I don't really see the similarity to mortesv's design, other than the use of those 2x2 dishes.. You are not totally wrong though, feeling like something is out of proportion. It is not the turrets however, but the main body. To fit in the interior I wanted I ended up making it ever so slightly too large. And the antenna looks to be just the right size compared to all my reference, if anything it is too big on mortesv's model (which I still think is fantastic) but anything like the one on the UCS Falcon would be way too big. Still, thank you for stating your opinion, I don't mind if people disagree with me and am more than willing to discuss my building choices. :) 

This is an amazing MOC, I would love to build it! Any plans to create instructions/share design file (if you made one)? 

I am blown away by the play features while also having the almost perfect display-ability!

Thanks guys!

On 23. Januar 2018 at 5:54 PM, pnutgallery said:

This is an amazing MOC, I would love to build it! Any plans to create instructions/share design file (if you made one)? 

I am blown away by the play features while also having the almost perfect display-ability!

I am in the midst of creating the LDD file for this beast and I only have the engine block left to do. That said, the first half took me about nine hours and depending on how quickly I can recreate the technic structure inside the engines the second part might take as much time again. 

I have not decided what to do with the file yet once it's finished but I'd like to try and make some decent instructions from it. I'd normally give instructions away for free but considering the amount of time that is going into creating them for this 5000+ parts model, I think selling a pdf-file for a small fee isn't asking too much. 

I'll post further news on the instructions in this thread. :)

God bless these bump comments :D I seem to be missing the best creations here as they get flooded so quick with pointless threads :(

Per-fec-tion! Even if you only built the front part (I struggle calling it cockpit - its a big ship, right? Command bridge, perhaps...?) it would be a creation of major significance. I absolutely love it and eventhough there is little chance of me ever building it, if you make the instructions, expect my bill :D

On 25. Januar 2018 at 8:28 AM, krisandkris12 said:

God bless these bump comments :D I seem to be missing the best creations here as they get flooded so quick with pointless threads :(

Per-fec-tion! Even if you only built the front part (I struggle calling it cockpit - its a big ship, right? Command bridge, perhaps...?) it would be a creation of major significance. I absolutely love it and eventhough there is little chance of me ever building it, if you make the instructions, expect my bill :D

Thank you! Yeah, I feel the same sometimes, it's always the same stuff at the top of this forum and a lot of builds get swept to the second or third page really quickly. 

And again, thank you very much! Yes, bridge is probably a more accurate word than cockpit. For it to be minifig scale the whole thing would have to be three times the size of my model, which is ridiculously huge. 

As a matter of fact I am working on a LDD-file for this model and would say that it is roughly 3-4 hours from completion. I still haven't decided how to make instructions for it then and how to sell them but I would certainly like to do so (for a much less crazy price than most instructions out there of course..) I think buying the parts for this ship will be enough of a financial burden for most people, no need for me to make the instructions one too. 

23 hours ago, eliminator said:

Incredible work!  The inaccuracies in 10019 bothered me so much that I sold it!

Thanks! You should have given it to me! In exchange for free access to the instructions for my model!.. :P