Henjin_Quilones

The Chronicles of Hesperia, Vol. 1, Ch. 5: Stopping at Tíre Keep

The Chronicles of Hesperia

Volume 1: The Sky Man

Chapter 5: Stopping at Tíre Keep

The Previous Chapters:

35185761040_7987050993_z.jpg

Henjin Quilones stepped out of the elvish rowboat and walked up the dock towards the tower. Though it was only early evening, the flames were already roaring from the beacon post at its top, ready to ward any passing ship away from the dangerous shoals that lined the coast of the island. Tíre Keep, with its lighthouse, was one of the most important strongholds of Avalonia, and one of the farthest, if not the farthest, west, a final stopping point for food and supplies for any Avalonian ship sailing out into the Great Western Ocean. His ship, or rather, Galaria's ship, was moored deeper out to sea, past where the rocks would cause a danger to the fragile wooden planking of a ship's hull. 

He had been sent ashore to this abode of humans, since he, a human, would not look so out of place as one of the elvish exiles on board the Nagra Luca, or Black Wolf in the common speech of Historica. His brother, Bu'kanjin, or one of their druid warrior companions, could also have been sent, but Henjin had volunteered to come alone to broker a deal for supplies sufficient for an ocean crossing. Of gold they had enough, if pressed, to buy everything they needed and more, but then they would have nothing when they reached the shores of some distant land; Henjin's powers of persuasion had become legendary among his friends, and they all agreed that he would be the best to negotiate a favorable bargain for them.

34768856643_03e9e07baa_z.jpg

Henjin sighed as he gazed up at the tall tower, its six sides facing every direction. He did not know when they would be back in civilized lands again. Galaria had taken it into her head to travel the world after her father had sentenced her to exile, and she had no desire to stay around the continent of Historica. She had been granted a Historican Title of Nobility for her actions in the war with Raavage, same as Henjin, and would thus find a warm welcome wherever the Ruler of Historica was revered, but she wanted to leave, to see how people lived in other lands. Henjin had agreed to go with her, as he found something about the green-haired elf maiden hopelessly attractive. Bu'kanjin felt similarly towards Yavenna, Galaria's trusted lieutenant among the wolf riders, as well, and had needed little persuasion to join his brother. 

The wolves. Skoll, the white wolf that was now his, along with Biryuk, who was Bu'kanjin's mount, Laika, who was Galaria's, and the other wolfsteeds of Galaria's band, was in the hold of the Nagra Luca, undoubtedly very unhappy and seasick. Henjin had to get enough meat to feed them, in addition to everything else they needed. The gold in his pouch needed to go a long way. 

35409847102_ea65114d2a_c.jpg

As he walked towards the small door set in the wall, he observed a man fishing from the rocks. "Greetings, sir," he said. "Where might I find the lord of this keep?"

35409846092_6b64d84f1d_c.jpg

The man turned from his fishing with a sigh, saying, "The fish are not biting so far today, I am afraid; I blame the weather. It has been too hot, unseasonably so. We need some rain, that's what we need, rain."

"If I could send you rain, sir, I would," said Henjin. "Now, where might I find the lord?"

"Right here, my good sir," smiled the man. "I am Sir Kravek, Baron of Tíre Keep, Ruler of the Isle of Tíre, Lord Councillor of Avalonia. How may I be of service to a traveler such as yourself?"

"My thanks, Sir Kravek. My name is Sir Henjin Quilones, Knight of Historica. My friends and I need sufficient food and supplies to sail across the Great Western Ocean."

"I see. Welcome, Sir Henjin. Well, you have come to the right place. Now, that ship of yours anchored off in my harbor is clearly elvish, or I am an orc, so am I to assume that you stole it, or are your companions elves?"

"Yes, Sir Kravek, they are elves, as well as men. And one orc, a refugee that we picked up along the way. Not more than eighteen all told, plus beasts."

"Destination? Unknown, I suppose? Well, Sir Henjin, let us step into my office, where we can discuss matters more deeply. I have what you need, including charts and maps, and a suggestion for a destination, a place sure to welcome a motley collection of humans, elves, orcs, and beasts, whose existence has been reported to me by sailors coming through. You, in your turn, will give me assistance (and gold, I am sure). Come, come, this way."

35409682662_27bc88cc2b_z.jpg

.........................................................................................................................

Thanks for looking, and C&C welcome! This has been posted at long last, my entry to the Summer Joust with @TitusV and @The Maestro. If you look closely at the last picture you might be able to see them there. The hexagonal nature of the tower was a challenge, but it worked out pretty well, I thought. My wife, typically no fan of LEGO, thought that this was my best build, and was genuinely sad when I took it apart. It should be fairly clear where my story is going, what with a 5th Anniversary Challenge deadline just over a month away...

As I have already said, brilliant build amd it reall captures the Tíre atmosphere. I agree with your wife, it definitely is one of your best builds.The stonework is also some of your best, and the hexagonal tower is ingenious. 

Ugh thanks for reminding me of the challenge deadline. I am slowly chugging away a the first catrgory, but I had better get a hurry on :tongue:

Great angled walls here! :thumbup:   Very cool job both on the rockwork and the castle itself!  The water also looks really good!

I can't help but agree with your wife: this defenitely is your best build to date! :thumbup: 

The hexagonal tower, the stonework, the gate, ... Just loving it :wub: 

Glad you were in our team, HQ! 

Gorgeous build!
The rock work is beautiful, lovely angles in there. The fortress itself fits perfectly in the scene. 
The little boat and dock look stunning and are a nice addition to the colour scheme

Brilliant work, this build looks great! Well done on jam packing this with so many details. There's so much to look at it I keep finding something new (like the rose petal, the stone microfig, the black and red emblem). I especially really like the stonework textures and the wall angles are cleverly designed:wub:. All around, very nice attention to detail and all at an impressive scale:thumbup:

On 10/7/2017 at 3:25 PM, The Maestro said:

As I have already said, brilliant build amd it reall captures the Tíre atmosphere. I agree with your wife, it definitely is one of your best builds.The stonework is also some of your best, and the hexagonal tower is ingenious. 

Ugh thanks for reminding me of the challenge deadline. I am slowly chugging away a the first catrgory, but I had better get a hurry on :tongue:

Thanks, TM, I think you and my wife are correct. The hexagonal tower is one of my favorite things that I have built from LEGO, and I like the amount of texture that I included in this one. 

I look forward to seeing what you can come up with!

On 10/7/2017 at 4:16 PM, Kai NRG said:

Great angled walls here! :thumbup:   Very cool job both on the rockwork and the castle itself!  The water also looks really good!

Thanks, Kai, glad you like it!

On 10/7/2017 at 5:00 PM, TitusV said:

I can't help but agree with your wife: this defenitely is your best build to date! :thumbup: 

The hexagonal tower, the stonework, the gate, ... Just loving it :wub: 

Glad you were in our team, HQ! 

Glad you approve, Titus, and it was a pleasure building with you, too!

On 10/8/2017 at 9:03 AM, peedeejay said:

I really like the little boat and the natural rocky way up to the tower. Cool stuff!

Thank you, pdj, for noticing the small stuff!

On 10/9/2017 at 5:12 PM, Puvel said:

Gorgeous build!
The rock work is beautiful, lovely angles in there. The fortress itself fits perfectly in the scene. 
The little boat and dock look stunning and are a nice addition to the colour scheme

Thanks Puvel, I hoped to make the building integrate smoothly into the landscape, eschewing a simple tower on a flat surface for a more complex marriage of elements. Glad you think it worked!

On 10/12/2017 at 8:28 PM, Merc4Hire said:

Brilliant work, this build looks great! Well done on jam packing this with so many details. There's so much to look at it I keep finding something new (like the rose petal, the stone microfig, the black and red emblem). I especially really like the stonework textures and the wall angles are cleverly designed:wub:. All around, very nice attention to detail and all at an impressive scale:thumbup:

Thank you, Merc! This was my biggest build yet when I built it, so I am glad you approve of the scale (inspired by this, however, I decided to make something with quadruple the surface area and much more detail...). Hexagonal building takes a bit more patience and a willingness to stress your bricks somewhat. And the microfigs are mostly there to fill in the gap in the battlements between the sides, but they are nice to look at, too. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Still a gorgeous model :wub:The tower is definitely the star of the show, though the rockwork and water are also excellent.
Can't wait to see what you have built for the Safe Haven challenge!

Agree with everyone about this. Great build and definitely one of your best.

So much to see and so much to like here! The angled tower, the good looking rockwork and that water!:wub:

Well done mate!

On 11/9/2017 at 7:48 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Still a gorgeous model :wub:The tower is definitely the star of the show, though the rockwork and water are also excellent.
Can't wait to see what you have built for the Safe Haven challenge!

Thanks, SK! Hopefully I can get what I have built photographed soon here!

On 11/22/2017 at 12:21 AM, mccoyed said:

Agree with everyone about this. Great build and definitely one of your best.

Thanks, mccoyed! I like it, too. 

On 11/23/2017 at 3:59 PM, de Gothia said:

So much to see and so much to like here! The angled tower, the good looking rockwork and that water!:wub:

Well done mate!

Thanks, dG! The angles are fun, but not recommended; they end up stressing the bricks...