coghilla

[MOC] Gold Coast G:Link Bombardier Flexity 2

Just over a month ago I revealed my latest creation to the world, a scale model of the light rail vehicles that are located in my home city of Gold Coast (Queensland, Australia).

37517007312_57a76d6c9a_c.jpgLego G: by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

Just over 3 years old the light rail system here is currently being extended to comprise a total of 19 stations over a 21km single line, using 18 Bombardier Flexity 2 LRVs (light rail vehicles).

My Lego version of the G: (gee, the local name for the trams) is a roughly 1:40 scale, 8 wide, 136 studs long (8.5x normal straight track lengths), 7 carriages in yellow, dark gray & blue. I worked on the design for months getting the proportions right. In a twist of fate that i was on the right track a technical drawing i found when printed at the build scale, a 9V motor unit has the same wheel base as the printed drawing.

Like the Flexity 2, the overall unit is made up of three different carriage types. A wheeled drivers unit, a suspended passenger unit (with doors) and another wheeled passenger unit that sits between the suspended units. So a LRV is made up of an odd number of carriages with the odd numbered units having wheeled contact & even carriages suspended between.

It is powered by two 9V train motors that are positioned in the first & last carriages. And due to its design performs nicely on standard track geometry including a full 4x (90deg) curve.

The carriages are joined together using old school ball hinge parts (two) placed at the top and bottom of each carriage. This keeps them straight and in line with each other., and allows for a bit of vertical movement due to tables never being level at shows.

The side panels are built with a snot technique of tiles on plates. A friend owns Print on Bricks and did the small tiles while the large G: were done at a sign writers.
I also created a light rail station in the same style at is located in my city.

37290027320_30934b41a3_c.jpgLego G: by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

37548498471_c1ac6c29ef_c.jpgLego G: by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr
37289995700_3bbd84d12f_c.jpgLego G: by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr
The local paper did a small article on my creation and I will be displaying the model with GoldLinq (the operators) and Bombardier (manufactures) at two seperate shows these coming months. 

37548596321_2bcf19c1b3_c.jpgLego G: by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

36879008523_5eebe6fec1_c.jpgLego G: by Aaron Coghill, on Flickr

More photos here: 

I have to thank Ashi Valkoinen and his CAF Urbos 3 tram, Budapest [REAL MOC] post that gave me inspiration.

Edited by coghilla
fixing links

Very cool. They started constructing this light rail after I moved away from the GC. Good to hear they are extending its length. Your MOC looks great.

Thanks all for your comments.

Michaelozze stage 2 is complete just testing now the extension to Helensvale from the hospital. Further stages south along the GC highway are on the cards with the next stage to Burleigh Heads just started planning.

I have been invited to a morning tea next week with the model at the light rail depot. A few more snaps and a tour around.

This is absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

I like your solution to use flexible hose on the front and the harpoon for the windshield wiper!

The stickers are the icing on the cake!

You've to be proud for the article on the newspaper! :thumbup:

18 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

An excellent build, thanks for sharing and all the back story. Congrats on the article in the paper too.

9 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This is absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

I like your solution to use flexible hose on the front and the harpoon for the windshield wiper!

The stickers are the icing on the cake!

You've to be proud for the article on the newspaper! :thumbup:

Thanks again. The windshield was something i saw a while ago and it does look good for the windscreen wiper. The flexible hose for the curve cam out alright. It was the hardest park of the build trying to get the double curve. I was speaking to a senior manager at Bombardier they are most proud of that design feature (they won a design award) but wasnt easy. 

I also want to do something for the gap between the carriages. not sure how yet.

I was thinking how this was going a few weeks ago while waiting for one of the trams to cross.

Having seen the work in progress a few months ago, this has come out stunning.

This is amazing, much better than my pathetic attempt at a G:Link tram from a while back.

Even cooler is the relationship with the people behind the real vehicle and the photos showing the vehicle next to the real thing.