PriorMarcus

Advanced build from 60154 - Bus

So... I finished my modification of the bus from 60154. I'm really happy with it. It's based off of an Optare Versa which is a really common type of bus in the north of England. 

It's 8-studs wide which is a little bigger than I wanted it to be, but given the parts usage was unavoidable. The entire front is built upside down and held in with friction, but seeing as this is a static display model I'm okay with that. I tried a few different ways to change the direction of the studs and connect it but none of them worked out with the space and alignment that I have. 

It's got a full, though simplistic, interior. The original set basically had nothing inside of it, so this is a huge step up in my mind. It seats 11 mini-figs and one driver. 

37458051631_b390c3a1f9_b.jpg

37427155682_9d3c266487_b.jpg

36788274263_ba77fbcabf_b.jpg 

37200778190_7310682032_b.jpg

37427153732_20673e7c71_b.jpg

Would love some thoughts and any suggestions for improvements that people might have.

I'm a big fan of set conversions, and I think you've done a nice job here. I like the overall shape, the use of the SC wheels, and the upside down frontend, of course. I'm not sold on the door solution (guess there should be some more doors anyway) and the studs on the roof which spoil the clean lines of the build in my opinion - but well, that could easily be fixed.

Regarding scale: If you don't want to measure the real scale of your build just compare it to the largest and to the smallest vehicle you're using. It's obvious that if you're dealing with 6w trains an 8w bus doesn't fit in. However, if there are no larger vehicles than this bus and your passenger cars aren't smaller than 6w, things might work anyway.

22 hours ago, ER0L said:

I'm a big fan of set conversions, and I think you've done a nice job here. I like the overall shape, the use of the SC wheels, and the upside down frontend, of course. I'm not sold on the door solution (guess there should be some more doors anyway) and the studs on the roof which spoil the clean lines of the build in my opinion - but well, that could easily be fixed.

Regarding scale: If you don't want to measure the real scale of your build just compare it to the largest and to the smallest vehicle you're using. It's obvious that if you're dealing with 6w trains an 8w bus doesn't fit in. However, if there are no larger vehicles than this bus and your passenger cars aren't smaller than 6w, things might work anyway.

Thanks man! You're actually a big influence on me and my city vehicles. My trains are going to be 8-wide, so in that sense the bus will be a little large, but my plan is to hide this by keeping them far apart in my city so you simply don't notice. 

I actually tried for a 7-wide solution in keeping with your scale but just wasn't happy with the compromises I had to make for the interior and windowscreen. 

The door is, yep, less than ideal. I've been considering going back and brick building one that can open more accurately but I'm just not sure it'll look as good. The one now is visually at least close to the real thing. 

Aside from some modifications I made to the Ecto-1, the Palace Cinema and a side alley for my modular city this is the first major mod I've made so overall I'm happy with it.

On 5/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, ER0L said:

Of course. I'm not sold on the door solution (guess there should be some more doors anyway) and the studs on the roof which spoil the clean lines of the build in my opinion - but well, that could easily be fixed.

I do actually like the bigger door. It's reminiscent of the modulars and it's sort of a nice touch. PriorMarcus, wonderful MOD, really nice use of the green/yellow cheese slopes on the front side of the bus and trully clever use of the newer 1x1 stud with holer and "rounded edge" on the door mirrors!