Sign in to follow this  
obijon

(MOC) MINI RESISTANCE BOMBER

Hi everyone

With Ep. VIII only just over 2 months away and I am getting rather excited for the release I thought I would build something from the movie! ;-)

There are quite a few good shots of this in the teaser trailer, some die-cast models and of course the System scale model to get some good reference pictures.

The trickiest part was getting the engines in place with the bottom fin.  I ended up using a 5L technic lift arm as I could attach this to two bricks with studs on the sides to hold it in place.

I also think this ship is ripe for a future polybag so I thought I would get in first! ;-)

Here it is, let me know what you think.

resistancebomber1.jpgresistancebomber2.jpgresistancebomber3.jpgresistancebomber4.jpg

and as usual on display Planets style with a Resistance Bombardier minifig:

resistancebomberdisplay.jpg

Enjoy.

Jon

Edited by obijon

Very nice build. Good shape! Think, many would like to add it to there am Mini-scale fleet! Me too ?

Neat! You've managed to get in pretty much every detail. Only thing I think is missing is the bubble cockpit on the top, but other than that a very nicely scaled down version!:classic:

thanks for the compliments. :classic:

As for instructions I am away on business at the moment, I also do not use LDRAW or anything similar, but if you need some help recreating it just leave a message with any questions and I am happy to help.

More Last Jedi models coming soon.

Jon

...so it will be me who is not with line with the others. Oh well :D

I don't like it. This is a nifty little build by itself, but it can be done much better by using rounded pieces or cheese slopes. These ships were very definitely tubes with slightly rectangular bomb chute attached.
The body is actually shorter or about the same length as the chute.
Their engines don't stick out that much, and wings are really slim and narrow.

MG-100_Starfortress.png

With such a small build there are dozens of iterations possible in quick succession and I strongly recommend going through few more. 

Edited by Jerac

Building in such a small scale compromises need to be made.

for example the engines. There is no smaller way to get 5 engines in a row so they will not “stick out”. Making them not stick out would involve making the fin wider which would then make the hull wider to match and you then have a much larger model.

the design of the hull is determined by the way the fin is attached and that is why round bricks have not been used for the tube.  Using cheese slopes would also make it more angular. 

The body is also roughly the same length as the fin as the first picture shows.

You cannot take one part of the model in isolation in this scale. Every part needs to interact to get the overall shape.

jon

Hi all

I have taken a few of the comments on board and made a few slight changes.  I was not going to change anything but while building a CITY set with my 5 year-old boy I came across this piece:

99206.png.9a89782e69c14a325e546a9713bb0450.png

This solved the problem of having to use the bracket to attach the cockpit and how the wings would be held in place.  This let me also change the top section using the bricks with the curved top.  I have also added a couple of bricks to the fin while not overall any wider it just does not taper off so quickly.  I have also added a turret on the top.

Here is the updated model:

resistancebomber1.jpgresistancebomber2.jpgresistancebomber3.jpgresistancebomber4.jpgresistancebomberdisplay.jpg

More new stuff soon.

Jon

Great!

Your update is really a significant level up. Now in fact I don't care about engines being too wide or any other flaws, as the model just flows together so nicely. Good job!
Now you need to make a little fleet of these, I think.

EDIT: very cheap possible improvement idea: swap side 1x4 tiles to 1x3, leaving last stud open. This will make the hull be more cone-shaped. 

Edited by Jerac

The updated version is so much nicer. I was trying to recreate this myself but didn’t know how to attach the engines on the side is it possible u could tell me how u did that?

Yep that’s it. With 1x1 bricks with studs on sides to hold the lift arm in place

Edited by obijon

This is lovely! I just re-engineered yours and it looks awesome! I wonder if the bomber is of 1:250 scale so that I can add to my Rebel Fleet! :P

45 minutes ago, Azrielsc said:

This is lovely! I just re-engineered yours and it looks awesome! I wonder if the bomber is of 1:250 scale so that I can add to my Rebel Fleet! :P

My thought exactly :D
The official length of the resistance bomber is 30 meters, so at 1:250 scale it should be 15 studs long.
This build looks approximately 12 studs long if I'm not mistaken ? Just a bit out of scale sadly !

The build itself still is very nice though, great job, especially the updated version.

Thanks @AfolFree! I guess people won't notice much whilst the Bomber is flying within my Rebel's Fleet! 

I had mine made in dark red to represent Crimson Squadron (the truth is that I don't have bright blue for Cobalt Squadron, maybe I should try dark blue instead!)

41543912372_6aed6ae007_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Azrielsc said:

Thanks @AfolFree! I guess people won't notice much whilst the Bomber is flying within my Rebel's Fleet! 

I had mine made in dark red to represent Crimson Squadron (the truth is that I don't have bright blue for Cobalt Squadron, maybe I should try dark blue instead!)

Damn you ! Now I'm tempted !

8 hours ago, obijon said:

Looks great in red. Nice to see other people enjoying and building my models.

Thanks for sharing your build too! And it so happens to be around the 1:250 scale so I could be making more!