Kalhiki

Future Constraction Lines

13 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

Judging by how Obi-Wan looked, I think the Clone Wars style would lend itself to decent-looking constraction sets, which made me wonder why not more sets used its design.

Yeah, it also helps that Obi's got that stylin' beard.

12 hours ago, ToaSerwain said:

I'll take this any day instead of galidor-tier looking heads

I think we all would. Why would they make a Han Solo figure that doesn't look like Han Solo?!?!?

21 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I'd guess probably just that with new Star Wars movies out, there has been more immediate demand for stuff that ties in with those, and not so much room for legacy or spin-off characters.

That makes sense, of course, considering that only the first wave had a real focus on legacy characters IIRC - the only exceptions to this were the Stormtrooper, Scout Trooper on Speederbike and the new Darth Vader. Everybody else released tied with the new movies if I'm not mistaken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldOq016jE4

expect this set to go on clearance soon and really, I think this could be the turning point for constraction as a whole if lego doesn't stop making these sets so expensive.

Yeah I know there's a licensing fee but 30 bucks is way too much.

Edited by ToaSerwain

On 2.5.2018 at 6:35 PM, Takanuinuva said:

I don't think Boba Fett and Darth Maul are going to be in the Han Solo Movie

Whoops, you're right there of course.

The fact that I have Boba Fett (still in his box though) makes this extra-awkward. :grin:

On 5/9/2018 at 3:52 AM, ToaSerwain said:

expect this set to go on clearance soon and really, I think this could be the turning point for constraction as a whole if lego doesn't stop making these sets so expensive.

Yeah I know there's a licensing fee but 30 bucks is way too much.

I wouldn't call any negative outcomes for constraction a "turning point" at this stage, considering the category's popularity has been declining for a long time now. I agree Darth Maul's price seems somewhat high, though not unusually so for this line. Obi-Wan, TLJ Rey, Kylo Ren, Captain Phasma all had a worse price per piece than that, and Chirrut's was not much lower.

I have to admit, if I cared as much about Star Wars as I do about Bionicle or Ninjago or Elves, I would probably be more willing to pay these prices. The price per piece is high by LEGO standards (as is usually the case with constraction), but the overall RRP is not. I think one thing that has held this line back is the sheer amount of other products (including other LEGO products) out there for people who are passionate about these movies and characters. As more of a constraction fan than a Star Wars fan, these are reliably among the most interesting and desirable Star Wars products for me. But I don't know that I'd say the same if I were more of a Star Wars fan than a constraction fan.

On 13.5.2018 at 4:43 PM, Aanchir said:

I have to admit, if I cared as much about Star Wars as I do about Bionicle or Ninjago or Elves, I would probably be more willing to pay these prices. The price per piece is high by LEGO standards (as is usually the case with constraction), but the overall RRP is not. I think one thing that has held this line back is the sheer amount of other products (including other LEGO products) out there for people who are passionate about these movies and characters. As more of a constraction fan than a Star Wars fan, these are reliably among the most interesting and desirable Star Wars products for me. But I don't know that I'd say the same if I were more of a Star Wars fan than a constraction fan.

That's a good point. Star Wars Constraction has to compete with a lot of other Star Wars-related merchandising, not only LEGO products, but action figures as well. As a fan of both Star Wars and constraction, I had no qualms getting 2 versions of Vader, Boba Fett and a Stormie right away (plus two more sets on sale). But as someone who isn't as big on constraction as I am, action figures or minifigis of these characters would suffice as well.

On 13/5/2018 at 4:43 PM, Aanchir said:

I wouldn't call any negative outcomes for constraction a "turning point" at this stage, considering the category's popularity has been declining for a long time now.

I'm gonna be honest here, SW CCBS has a bigger influence on constraction than we actually think. Think about it, if it's the only constraction theme still in line for lego and it's a license theme, then there's a problem. 

the problem here is how the theme is performing in general, in regards to how the sets are going on clearance in my area 24/7 and I've heard similar stories as well. As far as I'm concerned, this will be a turning point because pretty much this is the only consistent constraction theme for LEGO at this point and I'm pretty sure if this continues and they eventually cancel it, why should they reuse a building system that isn't considered viable anymore, license or not.

however I really don't think there's hope for constraction anymore, it isn't selling and why even bother - and if they want to make an action figure line at some point, I'll love to see a new system and an original theme to go with it - with actual marketing and creativity.

3 hours ago, ToaSerwain said:

why should they reuse a building system that isn't considered viable anymore, license or not

Why would one consider the CCBS as not viable ? Because the sets "don't sell" ? But the building system isn't the sole reason why the sets sell or not.

3 hours ago, ToaSerwain said:

with actual marketing and creativity

Which makes me think that I'd love to see a CCBS equivalent of the Unikitty theme. No, seriously. Look at all of these crazy characters ! A bunch of colourful, silly, expressive characters would be really refreshing. Kinda like the Mixels, but bigger, and without tribes, to allow for more variety within each wave.

12 hours ago, Leewan said:

Why would one consider the CCBS as not viable ? Because the sets "don't sell" ? But the building system isn't the sole reason why the sets sell or not.

CCBS will be unviable if it doesn't sell well, because really business is more about getting income and not selling quality. If the sets doesn't sell, no more CCBS for you.

well yeah I don't really want to blame CCBS for not getting any profit but that's how it is atm. Kids won't be interested in something they have absolutely no idea about and it shows. Whilst SW CCBS has a lot of stuff to compete with, BIONICLE had its fair share of competition as well back in its early days of success.

I'm just saying that if LEGO really wants CCBS to stick, better market it aggressively to make kids interested - BIONICLE and HF did that and those themes were successful.

Edited by ToaSerwain

On 5/19/2018 at 5:49 AM, ToaSerwain said:

CCBS will be unviable if it doesn't sell well, because really business is more about getting income and not selling quality. If the sets doesn't sell, no more CCBS for you.

well yeah I don't really want to blame CCBS for not getting any profit but that's how it is atm. Kids won't be interested in something they have absolutely no idea about and it shows. Whilst SW CCBS has a lot of stuff to compete with, BIONICLE had its fair share of competition as well back in its early days of success.

I'm just saying that if LEGO really wants CCBS to stick, better market it aggressively to make kids interested - BIONICLE and HF did that and those themes were successful.

I have some misgivings about the idea that “aggressive marketing” will result in better outcomes for constraction. First and foremost, we’ve seen numerous themes like Exo-Force, Power Miners, Atlantis, Legends of Chima, and Nexo Knights that were marketed pretty aggressively and yet didn’t last longer than three years. Some of those didn’t even last longer than two. That’s not to say that they weren’t successes in their own right, but even with Bionicle G2 we’ve been assured that its cancellation was “not sales related”, whatever that might mean (if I had to guess, it may have had more to do with the theme using up resources that LEGO needed to satisfy existing demand on their bigger and more popular themes like Star Wars, City, and Friends).

Not every theme has what it takes to become a long-running success like Bionicle G1 or Ninjago, no matter how heavily it’s marketed. And even if Bionicle G2 had gotten a solid 3-year run, I find it hard to imagine we wouldn’t be having this same conversation about what “went wrong”.

I've never played it either, but if it can give us varied and colorful CCBS sets, then I'm in !

7 hours ago, JoeyB said:

I've never played it, but all the character designs are really unique and interesting... could Constraction/CCBS work for Overwatch characters?

Besides BrickHeadz and minifigure-based playsets, I kinda could see this being a high possibility for the license.

But, having said that, I'm not quite thrilled to hear of yet another licensed partnership. Unless such news parallels announcements of new in-house themes, then I won't mind this continuous barrage of franchises. :sadnew:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Besides BrickHeadz and minifigure-based playsets, I kinda could see this being a high possibility for the license.

But, having said that, I'm not quite thrilled to hear of yet another licensed partnership. Unless such news parallels announcements of new in-house themes, then I won't mind this continuous barrage of franchises. :sadnew:

I feel ya. I miss stuff like Atlantis, Galaxy Squad, Pharaoh's Quest, fun little themes that touched on sci-fi/fantasy concepts, it's a bummer.

6 hours ago, JoeyB said:

I miss stuff like Atlantis, Galaxy Squad, Pharaoh's Quest, fun little themes that touched on sci-fi/fantasy concepts, it's a bummer.

Yep, fun little action/adventure themes just like those. :sad: