Kalhiki

Future Constraction Lines

Thanks for the links.

I actually remember the EXO Force sword, but like the majority of this theme, I didn't got any of its sets. Looking back, I kind of regret this, mostly because I'm pretty sure many of these builds would make for great templates for MOCs, especially now with all those new sweet parts in the constraction area.

@TwistLaw Could you PM me a picture of this supposed leak so I could get a look at the sword in question?

3 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

Thanks for the links.

I actually remember the EXO Force sword, but like the majority of this theme, I didn't got any of its sets. Looking back, I kind of regret this, mostly because I'm pretty sure many of these builds would make for great templates for MOCs, especially now with all those new sweet parts in the constraction area.

@TwistLaw Could you PM me a picture of this supposed leak so I could get a look at the sword in question?

Don't know that it would need to be PM'd at this point, since Brickset has non-watermarked pics and hasn't been asked to take them down.

I'll be honest, though — I don't think a piece like this being large-scale and having Technic connections is any kind of guarantee it wasn't designed primarily for System themes. When I first saw it, my initial thought was honestly what a cool helicopter rotor it could make.

19 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Don't know that it would need to be PM'd at this point, since Brickset has non-watermarked pics and hasn't been asked to take them down.

I'll be honest, though — I don't think a piece like this being large-scale and having Technic connections is any kind of guarantee it wasn't designed primarily for System themes. When I first saw it, my initial thought was honestly what a cool helicopter rotor it could make.

Thanks for the hint, I didn't knew they were already fair game.

Okay, I guess the set in question is 70639 Street Race of Snake Jaguar, right?

The blades featured in this set look big enough to work in Constraction as well, but I also think it doesn't has to mean anything. Their design looks non-descript enough that they could also be used in other sets - it also doesn't help that we don't know what kind of design language TLG would go with in the case of a new constraction theme.

Let me put it his way: I don't expect a new constraction theme happening just because of this particular piece. But I wouldn't be too surprised that in the case of a new constraction theme that said piece would be used there as well (Plot-Twist: Even in constraction, it will be used as a helicopter rotor).

On 18/11/2017 at 1:36 AM, Aanchir said:

When I first saw it, my initial thought was honestly what a cool helicopter rotor it could make.

I'd agree with you if not for a detail: the blade sports three small holes for spikes. That makes it way more constraction-ish than your average rotor (like the one introduced in Ninjago in 2012).

On 18/11/2017 at 9:16 PM, ZORK64 said:

Let me put it his way: I don't expect a new constraction theme happening just because of this particular piece.

Me neither. But it might be a sign, and it speaks volumes the fact a single piece constitues the biggest proof we got in the last 12 months that constraction may still have a future.

I hope too see a constraction theme in the near future adopt a Deco/Teslapunk aesthetic and style, as opposed to the typical H. R. Giger look seen in the Bionicle theme. I was fascinated to see that style was pondered upon in preproduction concept art for villains in the Nexo Knights theme, as seen in this spread of concept art shown in the Nexo Knights Character Encyclopedia (upper right hand corner).

36915179561_0168597d75_z.jpg

The pitches for Nexo Knight villains are amazing anyway. I really want to see the Cyborcs, but the other pitches are fantastic as well.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:29 AM, ZORK64 said:

The pitches for Nexo Knight villains are amazing anyway. I really want to see the Cyborcs, but the other pitches are fantastic as well.

In that one specific piece of concept art I initially pointed out, it's interesting to see that the character design in the middle seems to adopt the torso/head part made for Groot back in 2014. I would think that Lego really couldn't use that part beyond its intended licensed purpose, but maybe not? :shrug_confused:

Well, if Lego decided on those Teslapunk monsters for the villains instead, I would buy many of the sets exclusively for  those gold Art Deco wings of theirs. :drool:

On 07/12/2017 at 12:42 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I hope too see a constraction theme in the near future adopt a Deco/Teslapunk aesthetic and style, as opposed to the typical H. R. Giger look seen in the Bionicle theme. I was fascinated to see that style was pondered upon in preproduction concept art for villains in the Nexo Knights theme, as seen in this spread of concept art shown in the Nexo Knights Character Encyclopedia (upper right hand corner).

*SNIP*

The green guys are literally Warhammer 40k Orkz.

Edited by Leewan
Removed quoted pictures

On 16.12.2017 at 2:02 AM, Soul of Cinder said:

The green guys are literally Warhammer 40k Orkz.

That's the reason I want to see them happening. I think the archaic humor of the Orkz would translate well even into Lego, just make it a tad less gruesome.

11 hours ago, Chimaninja454 said:

From what I have seen, one user told me that there are unfortunately no CCBS theme in the 2HY catalogue. Not sure if it is true though.

9C51BneZ.jpg

I would write so much but a picture speaks louder than lame irony.

Considering that we'll get more SW Constraction sets, it's arguably not too surprising that we won't get any new original Constraction line alongside it.

Regardless, it would be still a shame if that's really going to be the case.

Well. As the rumors states, we’ll get lots of TECHNIC pieces, which would hunt at a possible new action figure building system, probably a hybrid of Mixel and TECHNIC pin/axle holes. If that happens, it’d be an interesting breakthrough, but that’s not discussed before.

1 hour ago, ZORK64 said:

Considering that we'll get more SW Constraction sets, it's arguably not too surprising that we won't get any new original Constraction line alongside it.

Regardless, it would be still a shame if that's really going to be the case.

With two or three sets every four months, we're not exactly overwhelmed by Star Wars sets, there's still room for another theme.

Looking at the newest Elves sets, I was thinking of a Constraction line aimed at girls. It wouldn't be human characters / dolls, but rather some kind of cute pets, like puppies, kittens, and such. Don't know if that would work though.

18 minutes ago, Chimaninja454 said:

Well. As the rumors states, we’ll get lots of TECHNIC pieces, which would hunt at a possible new action figure building system, probably a hybrid of Mixel and TECHNIC pin/axle holes. If that happens, it’d be an interesting breakthrough, but that’s not discussed before.

You mean this ?

Just now, Leewan said:

With two or three sets every four months, we're not exactly overwhelmed by Star Wars sets, there's still room for another theme.

Looking at the newest Elves sets, I was thinking of a Constraction line aimed at girls. It wouldn't be human characters / dolls, but rather some kind of cute pets, like puppies, kittens, and such. Don't know if that would work though.

You mean this ?

Yeah, I meant this, but one part of the rumors is confirmed. Most kindly, NK will be replaced by a new theme this summer.

8 minutes ago, Chimaninja454 said:

a hybrid of Mixel and TECHNIC pin/axle holes.

>bricks in my action figures

No thanks. It would take away all the magic that constraction pieces create, when you have these tiny robots in your hands and the pieces are cleary meant to represent... a robot. I've never been a fan of bricks to begin with, and while Exo Force was nice, I didn't buy any set back in the day and I wouldn't do that today. Constraction or bust.

3 minutes ago, TwistLaw said:

>bricks in my action figures

No thanks. It would take away all the magic that constraction pieces create, when you have these tiny robots in your hands and the pieces are cleary meant to represent... a robot. I've never been a fan of bricks to begin with, and while Exo Force was nice, I didn't buy any set back in the day and I wouldn't do that today. Constraction or bust.

Oh sorry, I meant that we’d get some kind of TECHNIC pieces with small ball/socket joints, and yeah, the Mixel joints are used only for System though.

I think I already stated that in this thread at some point, but I'd be happy if we would actually get parts that would allow for an easier incorporation of Mixel joints into TECHNIC/Constraction Builds. We have already ball joints that work well with that, but no real sockets.

Having another size of joints available without the need to incorporate brick-built structures would certainly open up a plethora of interesting options, both for new sets and MOCing.

18 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I think I already stated that in this thread at some point, but I'd be happy if we would actually get parts that would allow for an easier incorporation of Mixel joints into TECHNIC/Constraction Builds. We have already ball joints that work well with that, but no real sockets.

So Technic parts with Mixel ballcups ?

19 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

Having another size of joints available without the need to incorporate brick-built structures would certainly open up a plethora of interesting options, both for new sets and MOCing.

YES. We have small ball joints on both pins and axles. Just need that but with the socket. That would be ridiculously helpful. 

Even more so if they could make the reverse of that. Like, ball and socket joints that connect to axles and pins. 

2 hours ago, Kalhiki said:

YES. We have small ball joints on both pins and axles. Just need that but with the socket. That would be ridiculously helpful. 

Even more so if they could make the reverse of that. Like, ball and socket joints that connect to axles and pins. 

Something like this?

technic_ball_joint.png

On 12/29/2017 at 1:41 PM, Takanuinuva said:

Something like this?

On 12/29/2017 at 10:11 PM, Mitch Henry said:

Yes! All the yes! Hopefully it'll only be a matter of time before Lego makes these. 

Honestly, that's kinda why I'd want a system-based constraction theme. The Mixel joints are a godsend for brick built mechs, and with a full theme, it'd really give Lego an opportunity to extrapolate on it.