Kalhiki

Future Constraction Lines

How about we not get into a discussion about which building system is better, please?

Back to the topic at hand, assuming it's true, it sounds... Interesting. Has potential. But I think the thing that really makes me happy is the prospect of smaller sets being the main characters. I loved the earlier days of Hero Factory where the Heroes were all $10 sets. Later years and Bionicle G2 kinda killed that by making the figures way to big for my taste. 

1 hour ago, Kalhiki said:

How about we not get into a discussion about which building system is better, please?

It's not about that; it's about mashing fans into categoires that they don't belong in, and making objectively false statements.

1 hour ago, Kalhiki said:

Back to the topic at hand, assuming it's true, it sounds... Interesting. Has potential. But I think the thing that really makes me happy is the prospect of smaller sets being the main characters. I loved the earlier days of Hero Factory where the Heroes were all $10 sets. Later years and Bionicle G2 kinda killed that by making the figures way to big for my taste. 

Anywayy yu begin to slice it, a constraction line that followed this scheme would be a clear departure from what TLG has done in the past; hopefully, folks will give it a chance if it ever comes to pass. And I agree with you on the size of the figures; that's exactly what I'd like to see, and that's likely what constraction needs.

Edited by Azani

Yeah, it would be an interesting theme if ir was a potential Slizers reboot, or something similar, because the 5v5 idea looks very intriguing.

But I must say I agree with @TheGreatSpirit that we should take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully these small ones will be Protector/Creature-sized because it will make a way for eight interesting small builds. As @Azani has pointed, that's most likely what constraction needs in order to make it more succesful.

Edited by Chimaninja454

Unless we get something more legitimate, I'll hold my horses about this being true. The idea sounds intriguing, though.

A rumor from 4chan has about a 50% chance of being true, and especially because it's dealing with a 2HY 2018 catalogue (I'm pretty sure those are definitely not out with retailers yet, especially because retailers just got the 1HY catalogue in August/September.) Regardless, a new, original CCBS theme makes me so excited - I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, as there's such a huge chance this is fake and it wouldn't make sense right after Bionicle G2's flop, but I'm holding out hope just in case...

The "computer world" setting of this rumored theme sounds interesting. Perhaps its design aesthetic will have a Tron Legacy vibe/style to it? I'd certainly be interested in such theme if it indeed took after that look, and I'm not really a constraction fan at all.

Now the only thing that makes me doubt the legitimacy of this rumor is the lack of a theme name. As vague as they are, this rumor source has given us many details and size descriptions of the sets; but no theme name? I just don't know how he could of completely missed that crucial detail, unless he has either forgotten it or has decided not to disclose that part yet. :shrug_confused:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The "computer world" setting of this rumored theme sounds interesting. Perhaps its design aesthetic will have a Tron Legacy vibe/style to it? I'd certainly be interested in such theme if it indeed took after that look, and I'm not really a constraction fan at all.

Now the only thing that makes me doubt the legitimacy of this rumor is the lack of a theme name. As vague as they are, this rumor source has given us many details and size descriptions of the sets; but no theme name? I just don't know how he could of completely missed that crucial detail, unless he has either forgotten it or has decided not to disclose that part yet. :shrug_confused:

Y'know, as stupidly obvious as it sounds, maybe one of us should just ask him... it isn't going to hurt. On the off chance that this fellow is not a joke, the name would come up in the search function on the official site as a "Coming Soon" label.

Edited by Azani

I'm keeping a healthy dose of skepticism, just to not dispappoint myself later on, but provided this is true:

It sounds very interesting. Dropping the "groups of 6" scheme feels refreshing, and the return of vehicles and a real Titan set would certainly be welcome. Some on 4chan have pointed out that this is fake because it all feels "Too good to be true" but I'm not sure if I agree: if anything, it sounds like an average modern Lego theme: the right timing (2017 was obviously too early, but 2018? 2 years and half are enough to develop and finalize a new theme) 12 sets, media/apps tie-ins, a group of 4-5 main heroes (Ninjago anyone?), a computer setting (which isn't new to Lego action themes).
The only thing that strikes me as odd is the use of masks, but they might as well be Glatorian/HF style helmets. Helmets and masks are more cost effective that full heads anyway, I suppose (not taking into account the obvious playability factor).

As for the lack of a theme name, it might be that the anonymous leaker thinks s/he would get into trouble if s/he gave it away. Not necessarily meaning to defendi her/him, just a thought.

I dunno, but to me, the lack of a theme name is just another way of keeping this "leak" as vague as possible, just in case that if the whole thing was fabricated, it might still can manage to actually make a few correct guesses by mere accident.

The stated information is in general rather unclear with details. The only points that are somewhat concrete are the number of sets (a total of 12) and the class of each (8 small sets, 2 medium sized, 1 vehicle, 1 titan). Anything else (computer world theme, new parts, new launchers) leaves enough room open for interpretation.

Since this thread appears to be a little walled-off, I'll mention that news of a possible "name" hit the 2018 rumor discussions last night; it was sourced to a moderately reliable fellow, but it was so patently fake in the sense that folks would expect that it likely won't make its way here.

I am in the midst of discussions with many people who have varying levels of accuracy; some are historically accurate on a pretty predictable level. If anything tries to surface, I'll catch it.

22 hours ago, Azani said:

Since this thread appears to be a little walled-off, I'll mention that news of a possible "name" hit the 2018 rumor discussions last night; it was sourced to a moderately reliable fellow, but it was so patently fake in the sense that folks would expect that it likely won't make its way here.

I am in the midst of discussions with many people who have varying levels of accuracy; some are historically accurate on a pretty predictable level. If anything tries to surface, I'll catch it.

Fake as it is, would you mind relaying the name? I'm curious.

7 hours ago, Tazakk said:

If you'd like, sure thing: it was "Voloctoreb":.

Edited by Azani

24 minutes ago, Azani said:

If you'd like, sure thing:it was "Voloctoreb":.

Huh? What the heck is that supposed to be, some sort of rough translation? :wacko:

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Huh? What the heck is that supposed to be, some sort of rough translation? :wacko:

If I had to hazard a guess, I would suspect that it was just supposed to be a joke.

I know I shouldn't, but I can only hope this is true! A new, non-licensed constraction line, yay! :thumbup:

By the way, wasn't there another leak a while back about someone's brother who was a sci-fi writer hired by LEGO for a new constraction line? Maybe it's the same?

On 05/10/2017 at 12:51 AM, Takanuinuva said:

This feels like a potential Slizers Reboot.

4 Good guys- Torch, Ski, Turbo and Scuba

4 Bad Guys- Judge, Amazon, Electro and Granite

Bike- Millennium

Titan- Blaster

New Launcher- Throwbot arms

Actually the "robots in computer world" description made me think of Roboriders, but that works too. Though weren't the "bad" and "good" guys division in Slizers mostly fan speculation?

However, I'd prefer if this line wasn't a reboot of any kind. I think after BIONICLE G2's failure, CCBS needs to experiment with new stories and concepts to iron out the issues before they start rebooting their old themes.

On 05/10/2017 at 1:58 PM, jhuyser said:

Even if its not a reboot it sounds inspired by Slizer. However the term "Monster" sounds different than Slizer.

Well the original Slizers had monsters as their enemies. They were only box art and never had any sets, but they were there.

On 06/10/2017 at 12:02 PM, Shakar said:

The only thing that strikes me as odd is the use of masks, but they might as well be Glatorian/HF style helmets. Helmets and masks are more cost effective that full heads anyway, I suppose (not taking into account the obvious playability factor).

I don't know how the head pieces are made (is everything molded together? Are hair and face pieces molded separately and then glued together?), so I can't say about production costs, but I guess in terms of versatility and utility masks and helmets are a lot better. A head can oly be used as a head (unless they're extremely generic, which kinda beats the purpose), and since the characters need to be easily distinguishable each mold has a very limited number of uses (usually one); helmets/masks, on the other hand, can easily be used as armor, weapons, claws, etc. depending on their shape, connection points and the builder's imagination, and it's easier to make new characters with them: just use the same mold with a new color.

On 09/10/2017 at 12:20 AM, Tazakk said:

On 09/10/2017 at 2:58 AM, Azani said:

If you'd like, sure thing: it was "Voloctoreb":.

On 09/10/2017 at 3:32 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

On 09/10/2017 at 8:17 AM, Azani said:

If I had to hazard a guess, I would suspect that it was just supposed to be a joke.

Or it could be a working or code name to prevent leaks, like "Bone Heads of Voodo Island" or "E7". Though admittedly those make a lot more sense than "Voloctoreb".

Edited by The Outsider

How about 6 neutral mechs that kíds can fight 3v3 or 2v2v2 battles with and the accessorie packs could have measuring sticks build from lego and lego dice and a rulebook. 
Board game and actionfigure combined. 

A LEGO Tabletop Strategy Battle Game using Mechs? I wouldn't object to that, though I don't expect it.

On 10/4/2017 at 7:51 PM, Takanuinuva said:

This feels like a potential Slizers Reboot.

4 Good guys- Torch, Ski, Turbo and Scuba

4 Bad Guys- Judge, Amazon, Electro and Granite

Bike- Millennium

Titan- Blaster

New Launcher- Throwbot arms

I highly doubt Lego will do any kind of reboot. Bionicle g2 didn't last long, and Lego won't market nostalgia to a demographic that mostly gave up on lego a long time ago.

Here's the problem with leaks this early in the game- there is no actual evidence here that these are true other than he said/she said. No listings on websites, no blurry catalog images (do people even know what a modern phone is?), and certainly random comments off-site from questionable sources are a poor place to start a discussion- at least, a concrete one.

There is nothing wrong with speculation, but this early in the game this conversation of a potential 2018 line is just that, speculation, and has turned more into a wishlist than anything. I'll be merging this thread with the pre-existing future constraction lines wishlist thread. If we find something more concrete, a more official topic will be made to exclusively talk about said news.

@VBBN

Good call on splitting the original thread and merging the posts with two older topics where they fit in better. I actually forgot about this thread.

A recently leaked 2018 Ninjago sets uses a piece (a blade, to be specific) that was clearly designed with constraction in mind. Most importantly, it doesn't really look like something that may be also used in Star Wars Ultrabuilds.

Could we say this is the first strong hint that something new may be on the horizon for CCBS?

10 hours ago, TwistLaw said:

A recently leaked 2018 Ninjago sets uses a piece (a blade, to be specific) that was clearly designed with constraction in mind. Most importantly, it doesn't really look like something that may be also used in Star Wars Ultrabuilds.

Could we say this is the first strong hint that something new may be on the horizon for CCBS?

I would not rush to assume that the existence of a large blade piece like that implies that it is intended for Constraction. It could clearly be useful for that, but there have been several examples of parts like that that were first introduced for System themes and never even ended up appearing in Constraction at all (such as the large "tribal flame" pieces from Chima, Ninjago, and Elves, or the sword from the Exo-Force Sky Guardian).

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I would not rush to assume that the existence of a large blade piece like that implies that it is intended for Constraction. It could clearly be useful for that, but there have been several examples of parts like that that were first introduced for System themes and never even ended up appearing in Constraction at all (such as the large "tribal flame" pieces from Chima, Ninjago, and Elves, or the sword from the Exo-Force Sky Guardian).

Could you provide links to these pieces? Because I think I hear of them for the first time.

16 minutes ago, ZORK64 said:

Could you provide links to these pieces? Because I think I hear of them for the first time.

Sure. Here is the "tribal flame", which resembles a smaller flame piece introduced in the same wave of Chima sets and comes in three two-color blends: https://brickset.com/parts/design-18396

And here is the sword from the Sky Guardian, which was only ever used in that one set and had a transparent core (which in the set itself was also stickered): https://brickset.com/parts/design-57912

11 hours ago, Lyichir said:

The Exo-Force sword was a one-time thing that wasn't even close to G1's design language; it would have probably stuck out if recycled in BIONICLE, or at least that was what the designer thought since the piece disappeared immediately after. Besides it appeared in a System theme that mostly consisted of action figures built with bricks - it was right at home, instead of a constraction sword (the one I mentioned in my last message) being used in... a System bike. Ninjago has plenty of mechs, but creating a new mould for a theme where CCBS is a side dish, at best, sounds a little bit of an exaggeration.

The tribal flame piece is an interesting case indeed, but its purpose is more ornamental than anything, and in that way it has been used since its introduction. Sure, it wouldn't have hurt to see it during Chima's CCBS run, or maybe even in G2, but it wasn't a huge loss; not using a constraction sword in a constraction theme (aside frome the aforementioned case, which had its precise context) on the other hand is just nonsense.

In short, that piece isn't solid proof of anything, but may be the strongest hint that something may be happening in the near future.

+ clearly a constraction sword
+ Star Wars doesn't have any relevant character using a similar weapon
+ R&D has had two full years by now (BIONICLE G2 was axed in late 2015/ very early 2016 at best) to design a new CCBS theme, a system that LEGO itself has repeatedly say to have a key role in the company's future
- I ain't no Nostradamus and LEGO is always ready to bamboozle us poor constraction fans

Edited by TwistLaw