Kalhiki

Future Constraction Lines

I'm not entirely sure why, but since we had Ben 10 constraction sets a few years ago and the new Mega Man Cartoon being made by the same people who made Ben 10, I kinda hope we'll see Mega Man Constraction sets.

I'd be super-happy if that would actually happen.

Assuming that we're getting more constraction extensions of other themes, and that Ninjago is still going to remain devoid of them, and since we know Nexo Knights won't be getting them next year...I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Elves ended up with constraction sets. After all, legally speaking, the only line separating "action figures" from "dolls" is whether they depict humans.

To be honest, I would definitely buy Elves figures, since glorious recolors would be guaranteed.

Okay, why did NK not get Constraction sets next year?

Who knows. There seems to be evidence that suggests it will, but CM4Sci's friends (his sources, in other words) say there won't be.

Not saying that there won't be. We'll just have to wait and see.

In regards to your other question, no. Nothing has been said about a Constraction-exclusive theme next year.

EDIT: Poppin' in here again to say that Mixels has been announced is over. Will we get another System-based Constraction line? I sure do hope so!

Edited by Kalhiki

Well, I hope we might get some new constraction either in summer 2017 or in the winter 2017/2018.

Hearing that Mixels gets axed is sad, but here's hope that LEGO will provide something else with those neat small joints in the future in a similiar quantity.

Mixel joints have a future in my opinion...

on the other hand constraction's one gets more complicated by the day. If we get a CCBS exclusive theme in the winter of 2018 I'd be seriously surprised, since I already have my doubts about anything (spin-offs included) after the Star Wars Ultrabuilds next year.

Personally I hope LEGO takes some time, let's say 'til the end of the decade, to think about the future of constraction. Then in 2020 they launch a new line that at last is a demonstration that LEGO learnt from its mistakes. Not BIONICLE, we had enough of that, but something with the budget and the ideas to become a pillar for the LEGO Group of the next decade.

A man can dream after all, right?

Assuming that we're getting more constraction extensions of other themes, and that Ninjago is still going to remain devoid of them, and since we know Nexo Knights won't be getting them next year...I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Elves ended up with constraction sets. After all, legally speaking, the only line separating "action figures" from "dolls" is whether they depict humans.

To be honest, I would definitely buy Elves figures, since glorious recolors would be guaranteed.

As much as I would adore Elves figures, I don't necessarily see them working with traditional CCBS. First of all, the characters show a LOT of skin compared to most human constraction figures (with most characters wearing sleeveless outfits and short skirts), and I don't know if typical bones and shells would be well-suited for that. Secondly, the characters don't have a lot of variety in terms of body types, lowering the potential for variety in their builds.

I do think "buildable dolls" is a market Lego should explore, but I a new system may be necessary. The current CCBS is well-suited to diverse creatures, but I think less so on the sort of "fashion play" that would be necessary for themes like Elves and Friends. I'm not saying that dress able one-piece figures like in Belville and Scala are the solution, but a system for themes like those should ideally be well suited to designing and customizing unique outfits for characters (whether with CCBS, traditional bricks, or even a new system of parts).

Mixel joints have a future in my opinion...

Of course they do, they are already used in plenty of system sets, I don't see why this would stop now. :sweet:

I was thinking Lego could do something like what they did with Racers : the theme was getting less and less popular, and the last proper sets appeared in 2012. In 2013 and 2014 there were only polybags, and in 2015, the theme came back as Speed Champions, which is, IMO, much better than the old Racers theme.

If Lego would take their time (but not necessarily wait until 2020 :wink: ) to come up with something really good and give a new breath to Constraction. I just wish it would be an original IP, not a licensed theme. With Mixels coming to an end next year, they could very well try something that combines both systems. Anyways, although I'd be a bit sad if we get nothing but three SW sets next year (plus three or six more in September 2017 ?), I definitely feel a break would be good for the Constraction genre.

Of course they do, they are already used in plenty of system sets, I don't see why this would stop now. :sweet:

Wops, I guess I wasn't clear enough. I meant that in my opinion Mixel joints have a future on their own, as in a new them built around them.

I was thinking Lego could do something like what they did with Racers : the theme was getting less and less popular, and the last proper sets appeared in 2012. In 2013 and 2014 there were only polybags, and in 2015, the theme came back as Speed Champions, which is, IMO, much better than the old Racers theme.

If LEGO produces the last proper CCBS sets in 2017 and takes a break for the following two years it would mean constraction would be back in... 2020 :classic:

Jokes aside (nothing is set in stone, let alone a big company's business decisions) I think that a two-year break would be perfect for a big comeback of constraction. At the same time I wouldn't mind small spin-offs, and I'm really curious about the absence of Ninjago in this departement... maybe we'll be getting something in the latter part of 2017, along with the movie?

If LEGO produces the last proper CCBS sets in 2017 and takes a break for the following two years it would mean constraction would be back in... 2020 :classic:

:laugh: Yeah, absolutely. I simply had a shorter timeframe in mind, with a break in 2017, and a comeback in 2018. However, you make it sound like there won't be any SW sets after 2017 (or did I misunderstand your idea of proper CCBS sets ?). I don't think it will be the case, there are still plenty of characters to do. Unless the theme isn't successful enough.

Another possibility (which is much closer to a wish than a realistic hypothesis) is that the next big bang theme, which should be launched in 2019, if Lego keeps following its three-years-run "rule", is a Constraction theme, and they stopped BIONICLE to focus on the development of this theme.

Another possibility (which is much closer to a wish than a realistic hypothesis) is that the next big bang theme, which should be launched in 2019, if Lego keeps following its three-years-run "rule", is a Constraction theme, and they stopped BIONICLE to focus on the development of this theme.

Don't get my hopes up like that...

But yeah. That would be fantastic.

I am always worried about constraction lines. Where I live I have never seen a Bionicle set ever. I am curious to try them but the only line that ever appears are those Star Wars ones(and I don't get those because I prefer my SW characters in minifig form). And those sets are always just keeping the shelves warm. Since the time the FA line was released not one has sold at my local store and the prices have not budged either.

I do hope for one that catches on though as I would love the parts and I would love to get a few without worrying the line be discontinued so quickly. Cause knowing me I would fall in love with a major theme or sub-theme and pour a lot into it. Then to have it end like Bionicle just has so soon after a re-release it would crush me.

Pokemon could work if done well.

I could see them being done in a mixels style of sorts. With the popularity of Pokémon go, it would be bound to sell. However, I'm not sure where the license currently lies.

I could see them being done in a mixels style of sorts. With the popularity of Pokémon go, it would be bound to sell. However, I'm not sure where the license currently lies.

The last licensor was Ionix, though I'm not sure if they've done anything recently: http://pokemon.ionixbricks.com/playsets.php

I don't know if Nanoblock counts, but I feel they're a bit separate.

So, why was the Nexo Knights speculation thread VBBN started locked?

Becauze it's not CCBS-based, but probably Mixels-based, locking a thread sounds unnecessary, aww.

Edited by Chimaninja454

Ionix Ash is the stuff of nightmares.

Though I'm actually surprised that GAME FREAK was actually willing to lend the Pokémon franchise for construction toys, considering that they were occasionally a bit weird with giving their IP to others (even more bizarrely, this even applied to other Nintendo games - its apparently the reason as why the Pokémon amiibo aren't really supported by Yoshi's Wooly World).

Though I'd prefer if LEGO would go for a brand of their own. Non-licensed sets are less expensive, and it gives them more freedom in designing those sets.

I've recently been watching Mighty Orbots and I realized that I really want a contraction line of individual figures that can all combine Voltron style into one giant robot. That'd be cool.

I've recently been watching Mighty Orbots and I realized that I really want a contraction line of individual figures that can all combine Voltron style into one giant robot. That'd be cool.

I'd love to see something modular like that. Mix 'n match combining robots would be sweet.

Honestly, I just want something fun. I want to see a line that makes me want to spend my money. It's boring if I'm just getting sets to "complete the collection," which is what I felt was happening with Bionicle G2 for me. I want something new and exciting.

Though I'm actually surprised that GAME FREAK was actually willing to lend the Pokémon franchise for construction toys, considering that they were occasionally a bit weird with giving their IP to others (even more bizarrely, this even applied to other Nintendo games - its apparently the reason as why the Pokémon amiibo aren't really supported by Yoshi's Wooly World).

Ionix isn't the first building toy brand they've licensed Pokémon out to, either. There were Pokémon Mega Bloks sets for several years.