Kalhiki

Future Constraction Lines

Kind of a left field idea, but it would be amazing if they developed a smaller version of CCBS that was compatible with the Mixel sized ball-and-socket joints. The "bone" pieces could have 3mm bar holes in the same way CCBS bones have technic pinholes, and the "shells" could come in both curvy and boxy shapes. Maybe the humanoid sets could even use minifigure heads/helmets.

With G2's rushed cancellation, now I want a BIONICLE G3 just for the satisfaction of a proper, non-rushed ending.

However, before that I want a lot more original CCBS story-lines; both to add some new ideas to the system (before anyone accuses it of being nothing more than BIONICLE and Hero Factory reboots) and to iron out the kinks (both set ant story-wise).

I'm wondering if LEGO revived Bionicle just to buy them more time to develop a theme to replace HF. Need more time - simple solution: just give fans something they recognize to maintain sales until a new theme can be developed to replace it.They announced a three year run, so they definitely had something in the works.

I feel like a space themed set could do really well. A group of humans locked in combat with aliens could give some really creative designs that the normal system wouldn't be able to do. I don't see it getting hurt by star wars also being a constraction line since parents or children might pick it up thinking it was star wars.

I feel like a space themed set could do really well. A group of humans locked in combat with aliens could give some really creative designs that the normal system wouldn't be able to do. I don't see it getting hurt by star wars also being a constraction line since parents or children might pick it up thinking it was star wars.

Isn't that the logic behind all these rip-offs of blockbuster movies? And yes, it would be getting hurt by Star Wars. Even more than Bionicle probably.

You know, thinking about it, Mixels is apparently finished running its course after this year. I think I'd be alright if the next Constraction line had System builds like Mixels. Make the main characters small impulse buys and throw in some larger figures as well. Maybe a few playsets or vehicles? That'd be fun.

Bonus points if it means we get recolored mixel joints with the same variety as CCBS bones. And it'd mean we could probably get 30, 40 or even 50 euro sets, because of the pseudo-System nature making it more profitable.

System based action figure lines are the way to go for non-licensed themes. Leave the constraction model to Star Wars, but create a buildable figure line with more System elements, so beginner fans can get immediate usage out of the idea.

New fans of Bionicle really had to buy into it get enough parts to be able to make any custom figures and that's asking a lot for a new line. Especially when Lego is marketed as being interchangeable.

I can't see Mixels joints expanding into a standalone line with larger figures. When I see Mixels joints I think that they are great to build fully articulated System figures (see the Legend Beasts from Chima).

But as good as that system can be (*), there's still a fragility to it that makes it less viable for action figures than CCBS and Technic are. Exo Force mechas had pieces falling off all the time, same for the Mixel sets. The figures that can be built that way are great for playsets and light roleplaying, but action figures need to be really sturdy, like "Let's smash Umarak and Ekimu against each other and see how it goes" sturdy.

I'd never build a ship or a plane with CCBS because it's not meant for those things, likewise I'd never build a large action figure meant for really heavy play with System, because it's not good for those things.

That's how I'd think strictly as a toymaker anyway. My favourite Lego theme is BIONICLE and I feel the CCBS/Technic synergy G2 employed during its tragically short run was the best for it, so I do have a personal preference for it. But I also really like CCBS on its own and I want to see what it can do, even, yeah, beyond Bionicle (and HF) itself. My top choices for a new in-house theme, strictly in terms of preference? Either a Slizer reboot, Nexo Knights Ultrabuilds (if NK is still around in 2018, which I hope. I do like NK) or something entirely new.

* is Mixels really a system on its own BTW? Seems like those sets are mostly still System, bricks and all

New fans of Bionicle really had to buy into it get enough parts to be able to make any custom figures and that's asking a lot for a new line. Especially when Lego is marketed as being interchangeable.

When Bionicle G2 debuted in 2015 CCBS (which is fully compatible with Technic, System and the G1 Bionicle pieces) was around for 4 full years, 4 years worth of sets that brought parts in many shapes and colours. Lego might have not marketed CCBS well enough, but it's not really their fault those people who found themselves with not enough parts didn't buy any of the 80+ CCBS-based sets that came out during that time. It was a long estabilished system and using System, old (discountinued) Bionicle parts or a new system altogether would've made no sense.

And I can't find it now, but I remember a post from Aanchir from a few days ago where he quoted a Lego designer he talked with, who more or less said that Lego plans on using and developing CCBS further in the years to come. So there you have it, kinda. I'm pretty sure CCBS is going to remain as Lego's go-to system for action figures. I wouldn't be opposed if Mixels joints were used to compliment CCBS for small things like fingers, horns, wings and the like, though.

wings

Thanks for bringing something important up. We've got good hand and foot pieces (a variety of feet, in fact), but no wing membranes. Personally, I'd like to see a piece made out of some sort of stretchy rubber with several ball sockets on it, so that if attached to a series of limb bones it can be made to flex in and out with them.

I'm all for its replacement with humanoid heroes and alien villains, which could be a great idea.

But for the heroes. I want 5 £7 heroes as well as a $15 team leader, which could be inspired by HF.

And at ladt. I want some 3 $7 villains, 2 $15 sets and a $20 tiran sets.

So seriously, but take a grain of salt, they are just my ideas.

Edited by Chimaninja454

Thanks for bringing something important up. We've got good hand and foot pieces (a variety of feet, in fact), but no wing membranes. Personally, I'd like to see a piece made out of some sort of stretchy rubber with several ball sockets on it, so that if attached to a series of limb bones it can be made to flex in and out with them.

Something like Smaug's wings?

Something like Smaug's wings?

Yes, but with the membranes as their own piece. That way, they would be far more useful and probably easier to mold and to recolor as well. Basically, take a rubber sheet, make several lines of it thicker (the supporting bones) and on one side add ball sockets. I figure it'd be a lot harder to make the wings as if they were using the fingers as support than just giving dragons non-batlike anatomy closer to that of Yi Qi, with the supports being spread out rather than being part of a modified hand. On the other hand, smaller membranes could also be used to connect several finger bones for proper batlike wings, but that'd require a huge ($30+) set for it to work.

Edited by DraikNova

There are a lot of nice ideas in this thread.

My favourite ideas are piloted mechs, a Fantasy-themed CCBS line and various animals (dinosaurs and insects in particular).

Personally, I'd like to see something like Space Marines, but in a style noticeably different from Star Wars. Perhaps with an Anime touch?

A fantasy theme like what Jetrax99 suggested would be cool. I'm all for mythical creatures, and that would open up a nice opportunity for human skin tones and hands and feet, with fairies. That could also open up the line to less friendly creatures, like centaurs, dragons and ogres.

I just want exo-suits.

I was thinking... We could get small, System-based Constraction figures similar to Mixels as the main characters. Then we could get these CCBS exo-suits that the figures would pilot. So we'd have small, cheap, impulse-buy sets of just the exo-suit pilots and some more expensive sets that include the pilot and the exo suit.

That'd be neat.

I just want exo-suits.

I was thinking... We could get small, System-based Constraction figures similar to Mixels as the main characters. Then we could get these CCBS exo-suits that the figures would pilot. So we'd have small, cheap, impulse-buy sets of just the exo-suit pilots and some more expensive sets that include the pilot and the exo suit.

That'd be neat.

With the exo-suit pilot only sets having better equipment for the pilot compared to those in the exo-suit sets? Kinda like Nexo Knight's Ultimate sets? I could see that working quite well. Plus, larger playsets would be relatively easy to make, since the figures would already be partially system compatible. Really, the only necessary new mold would be a foot including system anti-studs.

With the exo-suit pilot only sets having better equipment for the pilot compared to those in the exo-suit sets? Kinda like Nexo Knight's Ultimate sets? I could see that working quite well.

Yeah, something like that. I was actually thinking the individual pilot sets would be their own character unique to those in the exo-suit sets. So, if there were four pilot sets and two exo-suit sets, there'd be six original characters in total. The fun comes from mixing and matching pilots and suits.

But yeah, individual pilot sets would have something included. Like upgrades for the exo-suits to get kids to buy the exo-suits.

Heh. Look at me. I've really thought this through. Getting excited over a hypothetical line that'll probably never exist...

A lot of my ideas on future contraction theme eventually became to be close to the ideas either to Slizers or Nexo Knights (Ultimates). Disregarding story, the play mechanics and style of those lines really hold a lot of the desirable aspects of a constraction theme.

Slizers could have a high design variety while still being able to look like they belong together thanks to consistent design details like the head builds and disc arms. Even though it wasn't expanded upon, their disc throwing feature could have been more diverse by exploring on different firing methods or disc types/styles. Blaster even experimented with the idea of storing disks for purpose of functionality or just showing off the graphic. Thanks to its design, Slizers had a design language that gave it many possibilities and an expandable play gimmick.

The Nexo Knights Ultimate line has some impressive designs, but it's real triumph is its shield power gimmick. It's collectible, it's interchangeable between figures with character neutral shield graphics and armor addons, it majorly affects/changes the appearance of the figure without sacrificing their individual look, it has a digital tie-in that combines physical and virtual play, and it has a lot of future possibilities.

Although I skimmed it, story is a huge aspect that can make or break a theme. It needs to be complex and detailed enough to become interested and invested in, yet simple enough for accessibility. Characters and the world should feel alive and real while still being open to new additions or adventures. How it's presented is important too. Video games, books, contests, etc. There should be a fair balance of material that covers the linear story and interactive options for the background of the world.

Whatever constraction theme comes in the future, I hope it takes a few cues from above and from what the fans have been recommending.

-A highly variable design language that can give unique designs while keep a consistent look.

-An expandable gimmick/feature that meaningfully affects the figure's look and play.

-A story that balances depth and simplicity while also being interaction friendly.

An example idea I had would be for there to be a line consiting of larger and smaller robots of all shapes and sizes trying to coexist in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. The smaller ones could transform into a variety of things such as tools, armor, and weapons that the larger robots could equip on themselves. The larger bots would be the main characters while the smaller would be more like collectibles and companions. Each set would come with a scannable chip that would give the personality and powers for that set and also unlock it on an online game where you can customize your robots and explore the wasteland. There would be monsters and bad guys of course, but a main goal for the protagonists is to try to unravel the mystery of what happened to their world so they can fix it.