Kalhiki

Future Constraction Lines

I'm for Slizers 2.0, baby!

I think my biggest "dislike" of Hero Factory, looking back, was humanoid characters. If we're going sci-fi, I want full sci-fi. Slizers were awesome because they weren't human. Same with the Toa, in a way. But ultimately I wouldn't mind a Hero Factory reboot either.

"No human proportions 0/10"- BZP review of this next line.

/s I merely jest, I haven't been to BZP for constraction reviews in a long time, so I have no idea if human proportions for alien robots is still a thing they're invested in. That said, the nonhumanoid stuff leads me to think that this would end up including minifigs somehow.

Yeah. And people have been clamoring for feather add-on pieces for a while, so that would be a nice opportunity to introduce them.

Wouldn't happen in a dinosaur theme. Lego are far more likely to create outdated pop culture "dinosaurs" than push for accuracy. We'd be looking forward to naked, oversized raptors with broken wrists.

As for what I'd expect, I think it's going to disappear as a original line and become more a supplement to other ones.

What about Exo Force where the mechs are built with a domination of construction and bricks? Maybe the enemies can be all CCBS.

What about Exo Force where the mechs are built with a domination of construction and bricks? Maybe the enemies can be all CCBS.

See, this is what I'd love. Like, a CCBS skeleton with system parts for armor. Or something along those lines. I really want there to be an ambiguity there. So it could be a Constraction theme, but one could also argue that it's System.

I'd honestly like to see LEGO drop the whole robot/bio-mech thing for a while. Aanchir mentioned a line markerted to girls on the last page. That would be welcome in my book for a constraction line.

I'd like to see something along the lines of the failed "Constraction Line for Girls" project that was posted LEGO Cuusoo (before it became LEGO Ideas), where the characters are basically fairies and other mystical types, but with armor and weapons. I wouldn't mind seeing constraction fairies with dresses and such though, but I'd expect LEGO to make a human-like foot piece though. Not all fairies wear shoes.

Edited by Jetrax99

This thread is interesting. I love the idea of minifigure-piloted CCBS mecha. That could work really, really well - I mean, look at IFB. The idea of a girl's constraction line seems interesting too, but I'm not quite sure how well it could perform. CCBS characters do look very inorganic, so they'd either have to introduce a lot to make it suitable for that purpose, or come up with something with armoured/cyborg characters. As for the thought of ditching robots/cyborgs all together, I'm all for it if it could be done well. Again, CCBS is a very mechanical looking system, so a lot would have to be introduced to make the characters not look armoured.

My only concern is with functions. I've become really fond of them, and seeing them in Star Wars figures makes me hopeful that Lego are fond of them too. I would hope whatever follows G2 Bionicle (if anything) maintains that instead of going back to flat, lifeless do-nothings. Launchers are okay, but aren't really the same thing.

Speaking of functions, I've often thought about how a Slizers reboot (or at least something Slizers-esque) could be, and I personally think it could work really really well;

• A cast of simple characters in a basic, competition-themed setting that kids can invest a lot of their own imaginations into
  • A large focus on the game aspect of the disc throwing function
  • The discs could be scannable, like the Nexo Knights shields, and usable in a mobile and tablet app
  • As opposed to a single-piece throwing arm, discs could instead be held in a new hand piece, which could go at the end of any arm build with a propelled shoulder for throwing the disc
  • A somewhat updated version of the Slizers head piece, maybe using the Nexo Knights shield piece for stickered visors as opposed to a specified piece
  • Slizers of a variety of sizes and price-points with more unique disc throwing functions as the figures get bigger
  • Playsets akin to those featured in the Lego Sports hockey range, which include exclusive Slizers and discs alongside targets to hit, hoops to fire through or other things to interact with
  • Disc and visor blind bags could be interesting
  • Media which attaches the game to a story, akin to that of the Beyblade and Yu-Gi-Oh anime

EDIT: I've mocked up a basic idea for a reboot Slizer. Nothing incredible, but it gets my idea across.

27673139896_cafc9c9505_b.jpg27632543891_e230278e79_b.jpg

The gear mechanism is probably pretty bad IRL, but again this is just proof of concept.

27707339875_1687541619_b.jpg

Edited by Logan McOwen

If we do have Slizers 2.0, then I would like to see a customizable disk, and/or a customizable glove to throw with, like Logan McOwen was saying.

Slizer 2.0 or constraction!Exo Force?

What about... both? Minifig piloted mechs that evoke the designs of the original Slizers. Likely never going to happen, but I'd lie if I said I wouldn't like to see them.

Edited by Shakar

Slizer 2.0 or constraction!Exo Force?

What about... both? Minifig piloted mechs that evoke the designs of the original Slizers. Likely never going to happen, but I'd lie if I said I wouldn't like to see them.

Let's cut to the chase: Arthropod Dinosaur Galidor Slizer Exo Force Knights.

Which, now that I think about it, would pretty much just be LEGO Telefang.

Let's cut to the chase: Arthropod Dinosaur Galidor Slizer Exo Force Knights.

Which, now that I think about it, would pretty much just be LEGO Telefang.

So... LEGO circa 2002, with a dollop of '06, sprinkled liberally with hallucinogens and put into a blender? Sounds good to me.

How popular are game based figures these days? While the nostalgic inner child in me likes the idea of a Slizer reboot based around competitive disc games; I haven't really seen many toys these days that focus on a story and a competitive game you play with the toys. Just the thought of a story structure similar to Yui-Gi-Oh sounds more like a 2000's toy and not a 2016 toy.

But then again; a small figure based constraction line such as Logan's Slizer concept would make a great impulse buy and good be a solid parts pack. I could see my self buying a small CCBS Slizer or two to round out an order from Lego Shop. Admittedly to that a line focused on impulse buy sets ($5-$10) might be a lot easier to sell than G2's $20 hero figures. So its really hard for me to judge the ability of such a line.

How popular are game based figures these days? While the nostalgic inner child in me likes the idea of a Slizer reboot based around competitive disc games; I haven't really seen many toys these days that focus on a story and a competitive game you play with the toys. Just the thought of a story structure similar to Yui-Gi-Oh sounds more like a 2000's toy and not a 2016 toy.

But then again; a small figure based constraction line such as Logan's Slizer concept would make a great impulse buy and good be a solid parts pack. I could see my self buying a small CCBS Slizer or two to round out an order from Lego Shop. Admittedly to that a line focused on impulse buy sets ($5-$10) might be a lot easier to sell than G2's $20 hero figures. So its really hard for me to judge the ability of such a line.

There really isn't market for another toys to life game. But I'd see it likely they try to have some digital stuff to go with like Nexo Knights.

There really isn't market for another toys to life game. But I'd see it likely they try to have some digital stuff to go with like Nexo Knights.

I was meaning game in the traditional; non digital sense... Guess it was a bit of a confusing post I wrote though :laugh:

I was meaning game in the traditional; non digital sense... Guess it was a bit of a confusing post I wrote though :laugh:

I thought you meant something like Dimensions or Inifinity. What about a toys-to-life game that doesn't require you to buy the game itself and it's on mobile? Isn't that pretty much how the Nexo powers work?

I thought you meant something like Dimensions or Inifinity. What about a toys-to-life game that doesn't require you to buy the game itself and it's on mobile? Isn't that pretty much how the Nexo powers work?

I feel like that's the future. And having a game like that wouldn't hurt Constraction at all.

Also, no matter what we get, I want more smaller sets. I loved Hero Factory's route of all the Heroes being small, impulse purchases. More of that, please.

Hero Factory did have the whole thing with the core codes and their respective games in Breakout and Brain Attack though.

You know, I just had the idea of a hypothetical construction line after Bionicle.

A family of color-coded elemental robots that are explorers of some sort. They'd probably also all be decked out in special environmental gear as well like the Inika prototypes. Also, they'd have a dog among their ranks, for that non-humanoid CCBS build that we all crave.

Now that I think of it, the only thing I want as a future constraction line is at least one original constraction line, without being a licensed theme or an offshoot from a predominantly-System theme. Other than that, anything (with quality) works for me.

And maybe a more modular torso skeleton, to facilitate non-humanoid builds. But that's more parts-related.

Seeing that, I can't help but think that if BIONICLE G2 had done something similar, with the masks as collectibles/weapons/powers, it would be a much greater hit.

Now that I think of it, the only thing I want as a future constraction line is at least one original constraction line, without being a licensed theme or an offshoot from a predominantly-System theme. Other than that, anything (with quality) works for me.

And maybe a more modular torso skeleton, to facilitate non-humanoid builds. But that's more parts-related.

Seeing that, I can't help but think that if BIONICLE G2 had done something similar, with the masks as collectibles/weapons/powers, it would be a much greater hit.

I agree, but how will they do that without the masks being bulky? And if they are too bulky they won't fit on the character or bring the whole figure down because of the weight.

If there were extra masks in the sets then that would make more sense. But if you really need that one mask, just really want that weapon, then are you willing to pay from 10-20, maybe 25 dollars? I know the fun packs of LEGO Dimesions cost $12 and Nintendo's amiibos cost $12 too. So if we had something like LEGO Dimesions but smaller, will the sets' price lower? That will lower LEGO's total sales from Bionicle.

You know, I just had the idea of a hypothetical construction line after Bionicle.

A family of color-coded elemental robots that are explorers of some sort. They'd probably also all be decked out in special environmental gear as well like the Inika prototypes. Also, they'd have a dog among their ranks, for that non-humanoid CCBS build that we all crave.

:O

'O'

O:

This'd be fantastic for younger kids, especially with more simplistic builds with little to no Technic, and more cartoony designs. I can see very basic CCBS-based products like that being aimed at the 4+ demographic easily.

Edited by Logan McOwen

The idea to bring toys to life for mobile hasn't proven that successful, almost everything has been just a flop, you may not have seen it yourself as they haven't gained much popularity and just flew under the radar. And quite frankly I believe Infinite Arms doesn't succeed on it either, the figures are big and clunky and not really all that "mobile". Nexo Knights is all about that shield piece you can just put on your keychain if you so much want to take it with you.

It works with stuff like Nexo Knights because it isn't the main thing it has to offer, in it's a core it's just really creative lego theme and the toys-to-life part is just extra, not the main drive of the theme.

And as Bionicle is sold mainly by pretty much the same basis an emphasis for the more digital front would only help it.

:O

'O'

O:

This'd be fantastic for younger kids, especially with more simplistic builds with little to no Technic, and more cartoony designs. I can see very basic CCBS-based products like that being aimed at the 4+ demographic easily.

Thanks! I also just came up with the idea for something similar to the upcoming game ReCore. A humanoid character with a group of non-humanoid robots that look like animals like a dog, a spider, and a gorilla. I think that'd be pretty cool.

Less conventional color schemes.

That's what I want. Something like with what 2015 Lewa had with green and yellow or 2016 Gali with blue and orange. I'm getting bored with red guy, blue guy, green guy, etc. I want more variety.

And sorta spurring from that, no more elemental basis. We've had that pretty much since Slizers. I mean, some of that is fine, but if we're going the superpower route, give us something different. Like super speed or strength or whatever.

And sorta spurring from that, no more elemental basis. We've had that pretty much since Slizers. I mean, some of that is fine, but if we're going the superpower route, give us something different. Like super speed or strength or whatever.

Interesting thought. Knights Kingdom II sort of went that route in its first couple years, with each knight defined not by an element but by an attribute (Jayko the Quick, Santis the Strong, Danju the Wise, and Rascus the Clever.

One tricky thing about this compared to elements is that elements are very visual — there are specific images you associate with fire, water, earth, ice, stone, or jungle (air a bit less so, which is one of the advantages jungle has over air from a character design standpoint). With more abstract attributes like speed and strength, you have to go with imagery connected with that element in a more abstract way. So for instance, DC Comics' The Flash uses lightning bolt imagery because speed doesn't have a specific "look", but lightning is something we think of as fast. Knights' Kingdom II opted to use animal motifs associated with its knights' attributes.

I come from the year 2018 and CCBS has two themes: Nexo Nights and Star Wars.

In all seriousness, this is the most realistic scenario. They need to sell, and they need to play it safe.

1466632643402.jpg

Further proof LEGO is seriously thinking about CCBS Nexo Knights.

Edited by TwistLaw

Honestly, I will admit I am slightly worried about the future of Constraction once Bionicle is shelved, whenever that might be. Sure, Star Wars Battle Figures and their sheer popularity even with the people who typically shun CCBS as being somewhat "alien" will probably mean Constraction has a secure future for years to come... but in the future, I want CHEAP Constraction sets, and Star Wars with it's basic entry level figures costing £15 each just cannot provide that whichever way you look at it. Those cheap sets, for example Ikir (because I found 5 for £3 each a while ago and I bought them all for pieces :laugh: ), are the ones I'll buy more of for MOC parts. So, basically, I'd like future Constraction to be handled the way it's being handled now - 2 Constraction lines, one importantly being an in-house theme, with both lines getting 2 waves a year.

As for what I'd like to see the in-house Constraction line be: I could get on board with an all-CCBS Exo-Force reboot for mostly nostalgic reasons (Exo-Force was one of my favourite themes as a kid), and I could get on board with CCBS Nexo Knights figures too as long as they lavish as much attention on the bad guys as they do for the good guys. Some fractured rock or tree bark textured shells could be very interesting, as unlikely as that sounds. As far as system-based Constraction (for example Knights Kingdom II) goes, I'm not sure, while I wouldn't mind seeing such a thing again, I don't think I'd want to see it instead of a full CCBS line. A System-based Constraction figure today would also likely cost a lot more than a similar-sized CCBS version as it'd have a much higher part count. Also, while I did own a lot of the Knights Kingdom II buildable figures as a kid, I never really got as much enjoyment out of them as I did out of Bionicle, and the faces... well they freaked me out so I always had their visors down :grin: