jcsum

Deep Sea Underwater Display

This deep sea underwater display uses many official sets as well as MODs/ MOCs. It was inspired by Jang Brick’s underwater display but I wanted to give it more original layers and textures.

I wrote the following backstory for this display:

This deep sea area is at least 100km far out from Brick Beach (my main LEGO town), in the middle of the ocean. 

The deep sea display has three distinct areas that flow organically into each other in a single space.

The highest level represents a part of the seabed. This level consists of a double shipwreck scene where two ships have seemingly collided and sunk to the ocean bed. The incident happened recently; in the last year or two. A team of deep sea investigators was sent down to investigate the cause of the accident.

Brick-Beach-LEGO-11.jpg

However, as they explored the wreckage, they noticed that the sea bed drops down to a deep chasm and an old ship wreck lies at the far bottom. This prompted the investigators to set up an underwater base on the higher level and send a bigger team down to investigate the old wreckage.

Brick-Beach-LEGO-12.jpg

As the expanded team explored the old ship, they discovered another smaller wreck but more importantly, a deep cavern that hides an ancient city lost for centuries underwater.

Brick-Beach-LEGO-13.jpg

Little do the explorers know that a sea dragon lives behind the walls of the ancient city. The twist is that all the shipwrecks were not caused by accidents or bad weather; but were in fact attacked by the dragon who has taken down dozens of ships over the last few hundred years.

Brick-Beach-LEGO-17.jpg

The underwater scene features a deep sea background on 3 sides. It is a custom-sized backdrop meant for aquariums and large fish tanks.

There is also a combination of white and blue LED light strips for the lighting. The blue LED lights are on the floor, on three sides. Bricks built as rock formation hide the light from view and it looks like the blue light emits from behind the rocks creating a very cool effect.

Brick-Beach-LEGO-18.jpg

Edited by jcsum
Inserting Code for Images

Those are some very good photos thank you for sharing with us! I really like the old castle under the sea.

Edited by 1Panda

Now this is really impressive. Its not only a rather unusual idea for a landscape, but very well arranged and detailed. Such a joy to look at. I'm sure, Jang would approve!:classic: The only thing that breaks the, otherwise completely convincing build, is having the underwater base on a shelf instead a ahem "natural lego rock slope", but I'm aware that yours is a much more space- and brick-efficient solution!

Thanks for the comments and feedback. Good point. Yes, that is a LACK coffee table from Ikea with 3 legs removed. So, it was very cost efficient :-). My plan for the near future is to cheat. I am going to glue grey plates to the sides and the remaining leg, then attach the appropriate slope bricks and plant parts to create the rock cliff feel. Will retake photos when I get that done. Hopefully in the next few weeks. Thanks again. 

I like it and you have quite a variety of underwater craft. The one thing that stands out to me though is the scuba divers at the bottom of the display. Generally scuba is more shallow due to both limitations on humans and also that at a certain point the tanks necessary for bottom time become too much. Maybe have more divers at the upper levels, smaller subs at the mid levels and then only have deep submersibles at the bottom to better reflect the realities of deep diving. Just a thought!

That is a very valid point! Definitely should be moved around to reflect a more realistic scene. Thank you.

Will do! It is the Ninjago Green Ninja Mech Dragon but modded black with little green. I will take pics when I get back in town. Thanks.

Marvelous integration of the wreck and sunken city.

And I see you extended the underwaterbase quite efficiently.:laugh:

Thanks. Yes, I extended the underwater base and made it "water tight". It made no sense to me for it to be have an open back. Will share photos of that build specifically soon.