Sign in to follow this  
Kolonialbeamter

[OL - FB] l'Arsenal Royal de la Marine - Slipway No. 3

Hi there, fellow BoBS'ers,

something a bit larger today that took its sweet time - well, it actually took mine :grin: :hmpf: - to finish.

But anyway, here goes, presenting the first capital facility of the Arsenal Royal de la Marine in Breshaun:

Slipway No. 3

37392516166_66d69041be_o.png

Mes Dieux - this is one impressive ship model, Seigneur Roseabeau!

Erhm... thank you, Commodore d'Alban... but... you... did notice we are actually working on a real ship... right in front of your eyes... in that huge structure right in front of you... there... if you'd just raise your eyes a little bit.

Yes, yes, I know, I know. I'm not blind, I'm not blind!

He is just a 'little' hung over from the visit to the what-was-it-called, 'The Spin of Fate'. My Gods, do they have a proper port wine there!

Don't you mention this, or I arrgh... have you demoted instantly, Lieutenant Berneus!

Did I mention that this happens in literally every port we...

Lieutenant! Aaargh... never mind, let's just get this over with...

Well, as you please. She will be the largest ship ever constructed here in the colonies, in fact, the first three-decker ever to be launched in an Oleander shipyard that isn't on the mainland...

Yes, yes, that's quite impressive, Seigneur Roseabeau, and I will report your most excellent progress to the Duc de Corban himself. But for now, let's just call it a day, and let me get back to my quarters - I... have work to do. Lieutenant, you remain on site and have Seigneur Roseabeau show you more of this most excellent progress here. I expect your report... tomorrow. If you will excuse me now, Vive le Roi, etc.!

Wow, now I found that impressive!

Haha, you have seen nothing, Seigneur Roseabeau. But let's get back to what we are actually here for. As I can see it here... she won't have a forecastle, is that correct? I assume that would be to improve her rolling resistance by lowering the balancing point.

Formidable, you are quite the expert, Lieutenant! Yes, you are correct. The waves out here and further East tend to be causing a lot of stability issues with most ships built for more domestic waters. It is this experience we are trying to incorporate in the ships we build here. If you don't mind, I'd like to show you around a bit more...

Mais, avec plaisir! I must say, I find this project here is quite... how does one say... ambitieux.

23588062748_330da34e47_c.jpg

37392512596_c68c119df2_c.jpg

37182772960_923cc75a19_c.jpg

37439872791_9ef69821d1_c.jpg

37408987692_2fc6484672_c.jpg

About:

Where to start...I got inspiration for this build by a scale model of the Royal Naval Arsenal in Rochefort, France, when I visited l'Hermione a few years ago. The whole thing here is 100x200 studs, all buildable (except the flags), and contains more than 31000 parts - mostly small ones, but still enough polygons for LDD to repetitively crash without saving :ugh: But eventually I got it done, and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. The large wooden structure wasn't so hard to build - but the detailing really gets you... placing those minifigs is a ton of work, not to mention placing all the small round plates and tiles... my favorite thing are the two large cranes, though, which should really work if built. But then, I'll never know :grin:

Oh, and this will be a royal artisan property.

Thanks for watching,

C&C welcome!

Vive le Roi!

An amazing build all around. Everything looks like it fits right in and I'm hard pressed to even come up with minor criticisms of the build. Just an absolutely fantastic job all around. One detail that I really like is the huge two-man saw. It's a very clever design. 

Wow, impressive work KB. The complexity and the realism of the build is astonishing!

A third decker in hangar 3, what do you have in hangar 1 and 2 then? Royal Louis and Soleil Royal?:laugh:

I like the ship ribs made from small tiles, can't wait to see her completed.

Whoa... this is huge!  Great job on the open structure... and the curve of the roof inside is so cool!  I love that flag too.  And the cranes are great!  Lots of detail too! :thumbup: 

That's... a very impressive little ship model, KB! :grin: :laugh:

Just kidding (though it is cool too! :pir-laugh:) - that wooden structure/boathouse is splendid, and those cranes are really fantastic as well!  As always, your attention to detail and minifig posing make the scene come alive, and I've still got no idea how you've got the patience for something like this! :pir-grin:  Very impressive - epic, in short!  The ship in the works is looking quite nice too! :pir-classic:

Impressively huge as usual - that curved roof is amazing! Great to see you building again KB!

Incredible. :wub: @Kolonialbeamter this is one of my favorites of your land-based builds. I don't think I've ever seen this done in LEGO at that scale before.

The building is excellent, but the enormity of it isn't quite obvious at a glance. That would be a gigantic structure in reality. And of course the skeletal structure of the ship is beautiful.

I'm really curious as to how the slipway functions. I spent quite some time trying in vain to find a good description or illustration when I did my similar scene last year. I'm especially intrigued by the big structure the ship is sitting on: would it move during launch? It appears it would slide back into the water, and the ship hull would then float off, after which the big ground-level capstans would be used to haul it back in? Or do I have it figured wrong? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

She's going in stern first, the right way, correct? I made mine bow first for photographic purposes even though it just seemed terribly backward. :grin:

Excellent work. :thumbup:

Sorry for the late reply - but then, it's a reply after all :laugh:

Thanks to you all, I'm very glad you like it.

On 2.10.2017 at 1:24 PM, Bodi said:

A third decker in hangar 3, what do you have in hangar 1 and 2 then? Royal Louis and Soleil Royal?:laugh:

Only if 'hangar 3' didn't receive a higher number just for effect despite being the only one :grin:

On 3.10.2017 at 4:04 AM, Garmadon said:

That's... a very impressive little ship model, KB! :grin: :laugh:

It is, isn't it. I'm a little disappointed you didn't mention the rowboat - I added it just for you :tongue: :laugh:

On 27.10.2017 at 4:27 PM, Captain Dee said:

this is one of my favorites of your land-based builds

:blush:

I'm really curious as to how the slipway functions. I spent quite some time trying in vain to find a good description or illustration when I did my similar scene last year. I'm especially intrigued by the big structure the ship is sitting on: would it move during launch? It appears it would slide back into the water, and the ship hull would then float off, after which the big ground-level capstans would be used to haul it back in? Or do I have it figured wrong? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The 'sled' or what it's called is needed to launch a ship into deeper waters more easily (Breshaun is located at a river). As you can see, it increases the inclination in addition to that of the slipway itself. You guessed correctly - first, the sled would be launched into the river, and only then the ship would slide off of it. The sled would then be hauled back in :thumbup:

She's going in stern first, the right way, correct? I made mine bow first for photographic purposes even though it just seemed terribly backward. :grin:

The only way :grin: But actually, it seemed to have been a cultural thing - you also find sources that show ships being launched bow-first:

Spoiler

post-8878-0-02018200-1425937632_thumb.jpg

Here's quite a bit of inspiration, if you haven't already seen it.

Thanks for the reply. As for ship launches, yeah, I've seen it depicted both ways. But I agree - stern first is the only way to go. :grin:

I hadn't seen that linked topic. That's a fantastic shipbuilding source. :excited: And while I've seen lots of model age-of-sail shipyards, I've never seen a model cannon foundry before. That's pretty neat.