aminnich

[MOC][WIP] Grove GSK55 trailer crane

This one is cute :wub: I really like it, but now I'm confused about my projects - all my mocs should be the same scale...so I'm developing Unimog based on tumbler tire (scale 13.5:1) and now this beautifull trailer in (I suppose) 20:1 like Mack or Xerion

10 hours ago, I_Igor said:

This one is cute :wub: I really like it, but now I'm confused about my projects - all my mocs should be the same scale...so I'm developing Unimog based on tumbler tire (scale 13.5:1) and now this beautifull trailer in (I suppose) 20:1 like Mack or Xerion

Thanks for the comment Igor. As for scale I do not normally build in this scale either.   

I like your progress so far. I don't see any problem in scaling down the model; however I am firmly against doing so simply because you want to use the Mack as the prime mover. Firstly I think it is a mistake to turn what should be a fun build from your own imagination to something reliant on a LEGO kit. Furthermore, the Mack Anthem specifically is juxtaposed with the type of trailer you are building. A trailer crane almost never would be hauled by a sleeper cab especially since the Mack's sleeper is so massive. A minor problem in my eyes is the color. The mack is all gray and I just don't think it would go well with a black and yellow crane. If you are enjoying the build more than the previous scale, I think you should keep going. Nevertheless, I don't think you should use the Mack as the prime mover; build your own.

Just now, aminnich said:

Did I say I was not going to build the larger model?  

It was implied.

I decided to scale down my build so that my crane could be used with the MACK

I have said this many times on different topics, I like building my models using the pf motors I have.  The scale I was building the trailer was meant to be motorized with a motorized truck.  After we found out that the MACK truck was not built on the same scale, I decided to change course with the current build and build for the MACK in that scale.  Nothing wrong with having a different trailer for an official LEGO model when it comes out.  Yes, I know that a trailer like this would not be used with a sleeper truck, but the model truck could be easily modified for a day-cab rig.  And the truck driver cannot choose the color of the trailer he/she is pulling, the grey truck with a yellow trailer crane combo is not impossible.  

I dunno, you're combining a Euro style trailer with an American truck anyway, so why not just leave the truck as a sleeper cab? I've seen a number of knuckle boom crane trucks that have sleeper cabs, for use in oilfields. For things like that, the driver might need to stay on site, and a sleeper cab might be perfect for that. The only thing I'd say is that you should use dark gray instead of black on the crane, to better tie it to the truck.

9 hours ago, aminnich said:

Thanks for the comment Igor. As for scale I do not normally build in this scale either.   

You're welcome. I really like stabilizers, small and simple, but efficient :thumbup:

I know that someone will say - they work on the same principle like on 42009, but 42009 is very big model, despite based on 62.4 tires :wink: