aminnich

[MOC][WIP] Grove GSK55 trailer crane

Hey guys, 

It is time for another MOC.  After realizing I did not have the time to finish an entry for the TC12 contest, I decided to go back to TC8 and redo that MOC.  It did not turn out anyway near how I wanted it and I gave up on it after the contest was over.  So here is my second chance and I am going to take my time and do it right.  

Untitled.png

I will be building the GSK55 trailer crane by Grove.  It will be close to 1:18 scale but not an exact replica, that is why it will remain within the Technic forum instead of the Scaled forum.  

The GSK55 is not a well known crane mostly because not many of them were made since 2009.  It is a road crane that can be driven to a site and kept there for the duration of the project.  The down-side to the machine is that you can not move it without a truck, I think that is why it did not sell.  The super structure of the machine is a GMK3055 all terrain crane.  The company basically took the superstructure off of it and put it on a trailer.  

For my build, I will be trying to keep it for scaled size, but that will not be my biggest concern, functionality and aesthetics is what I am going for.  I want to use more panels on this build that I am use to.  If I were to do scaling properly, the model would come out to be 5.5 inches wide, 24 inches long, and 7.5 inches tall (boom down).  

The functions of the build is something I really want to focus on, play-ability is key.  The model will be run by Power Functions, pneumatics and Sbricks.  For the chassis of the model, the functions will include; steering, outriggers up/down and in/out, and spinning the super structure.  For the superstructure's functions, boom up/down and in/out, hook up/down and cabin tilt.  

Enough of me talking, here are some pictures; 

800x600.jpg

The picture of the blueprints that I had printed out fit the size of the wheels (62.4x20) perfectly.  As some of you know, I have been having some difficulties with suspension for this model.  I will be returning to it once the ajority of the chassis is completed so that I know how much room I have to work with for the suspension.  

800x600.jpg

Here are the outriggers I will be using, they are highly modified from 42043.  On the other side of the outriggers themselves, the middle axle will control the up/down motion and the axle just to the left with control in/out motion.  

800x600.jpg

As you can see they are not completed, I still need to figure something out for the legs of the stabilizers.  I was thinking the small LAs, but they might be too long, I will do some testing this week with different options.  

I hope you like what I have so far.  Leave a comment (good or horrible) and tell me if you want to see me try and do something different, I will not ignore you.  Progress on this build will be slow, but I plan to keep you guys updated.  

If you have ideas for different parts, please let me know.  I can have an LDD file posted if anyone would like it either for themselves or to modify to show me what you mean.  

I hope you like it and will follow the building process.  Happy building.  

Edited by aminnich

Great choice. I'm glad you are bringing back your TC8 entry, despite no TC12 entry. I can't wait to see more, but one question: at what scale will this be?

@BrickbyBrickTechnic

I guess there was a lot to read... sorry 

"It will be close to 1:18 scale but not an exact replica"

And yes, you were the only person to comment on the original posting before I messed it all up.  I appreciate the comment! :)

Edited by aminnich

Just now, Aventador2004 said:

An ambitious project. Pneumatics or actuators? Good luck!

I am going to take my time, I easily have enough parts for this build, so hopefully I will not have have to buy more components to complete it.  And to answer your question, both.  For the main boom, I am not sure what I am going to use, probably LAs, but pneumatics have not been ruled out.

Just now, aminnich said:

I am going to take my time, I easily have enough parts for this build, so hopefully I will not have have to buy more components to complete it.  And to answer your question, both.  For the main boom, I am not sure what I am going to use, probably LAs, but pneumatics have not been ruled out.

Ok, thanks for reply. Congrats on becoming a count.

12 hours ago, aminnich said:

I decided to go back to TC8 and redo that MOC.

I remember this Grove! And I like the idea of remastering the project. Hopefully you will have more time now than back then on TC8.

Having said that, why don't you include some short history of your first attempt with some text and picture or two? If you plan to finish this build, it could be nice to see how it grows from the initial V1, from two years ago.

Interesting project :thumbup: 

Looking forward to see outcome of it. I'm guessing crane will have similarities with 42009 set...

16 minutes ago, Milan said:

I remember this Grove! And I like the idea of remastering the project. Hopefully you will have more time now than back then on TC8.

Having said that, why don't you include some short history of your first attempt with some text and picture or two? If you plan to finish this build, it could be nice to see how it grows from the initial V1, from two years ago.

That is a cool idea, this would actually be version 3. If you remember, I tried building a massive one (failed) so I built a mini version just for the contest. 

Hipefully this version 3.0 works out a lot better. I would have to go back into my files and look for the pictures from TC8. Maybe I will do a "looking back" section of my final posting. Thanks for the idea Milan! 

@I_Igor this build might have some similarities to 42009, example being part of the outriggers is an idea from that set, but not a direct copy. Same goes for 42043, similar, but not exact. I am really hoping to be able to do a "free build" on this with little help from the instruction booklets for ideas. 

First I will be focusing on the chassis, then the superstructure. Depending on how big the chassis ended up, I could probably just take the superstructure off 42009 and put it on the chassis, but I want to build my own. 

Thanks for the comment Igor, I'm glad you like it! 

Edited by aminnich

I was thinking on usage of this panels for crane boom

11954pb004r.png 

21 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I was thinking on usage of this panels for crane boom

11954pb004r.png 

Yes, those will most likely be the most outter shell of the boom. A 3 section boom would be easier, but I am hoping for a 4 section. We will see. 

If you take notice, I have been saying a lot of "hoping" so a lot of this is just me thinking out loud. 

4 hours ago, aminnich said:

Yes, those will most likely be the most outter shell of the boom. A 3 section boom would be easier, but I am hoping for a 4 section. We will see. 

If you take notice, I have been saying a lot of "hoping" so a lot of this is just me thinking out loud. 

As long as your thoughts are positive, noone will complain :laugh:

We all start wip topics to collect some ideas and thoughts...

As I already said, I'm looking forward to see final result...

BTW congratulation on promotion. Now you are honored member of Eurobricks Counts society :wink:

I have been a member for 4 years on this site, I am a technic member and a technic member only. When I build something I post on here to get feedback from you guys. My building my not be the greatest, but I am working towards better and better MOCs, hopefully this one is an example of that. 

Nobody's build is perfect and there is noone whose builds everyone like, so most important thing is to develope your abilities to build something new and to evolve. After all LEGO is compromise. It is like lifetime learning, so I beleive trailer is going to be great. :thumbup:

When I saw your first post with technical drawing first thing that crossed my mind was that I'm not the only Technic enthusuast who uses that kind of approach. IMHO this is the most professional approach. 

I'm in Technic from 1979-1989 and again from 2002 onwards (when I saw 8448 in one local store...), but main impact was 8434 set bought for my from my wife, so I've discovered studless building (sorry for to much offtopic)

Edited by I_Igor

Going off topic on my posts is recommended :classic:

I like just talking to other members and this is a fine place to do it, or PM if you wanna be secretive :laugh:

Anyway, some of you know that I am going to school for mechanical engineering, so technical drawings are my.. "cup of tea" shall we.  Calculations to figure out the proper scale is fun in my eyes and then figuring out how to build it is another beast.  You should see all the technical drawings I have in my note books for classes of ideas for this build, sure most of them will not make it into the size constraints, but hey, maybe a future build.  Right now I am trying to figure where everything should go for the most logical location.  Having the battery box over the axles would be good for load distribution and the pump for pneumatiic should be in the superstructure, but I am not sure there will be enough room, so how do I build something where the pump can be in the bottom, but have hoses running up through the turn table without getting all twisted up? 

This is how my mind works; question question question and I sketch it out and figure out answers. It is the calculus that I dont like in school :grin:

I have been thinking about how to do trailer suspension for your project... I came across this idea for leaf springs. Although we don't yet have a solid idea for a leaf spring, this might be a good way to incorporate them...

Related image

It uses the spring upside down and attaches the ends to the axles

When I was discussing different suspension ideas with other members, this idea was brought up

This would work, but the wheel base is only 10 studs apart, so the 2x plate can not be the 16L LPE uses in the video, and then I do not get the same suspension capabilities. 

There is an error in your rear steering axle that should be addressed. The hub acts more like a caster attached to a rack. The wheel axis should be on the same line of studs as the pivot. Also I would If you want the open side of the wheel to face outwards, I would not use the technic hub piece but this part. I would caution you against placing all of your beams hole upwards as it is not the most structurally sound building technique. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to start with a sturdy base for a build such as this.

Here are some of my leafsprings that I've used in a few builds. The picture one is a modification of Italianbrick's design, the second is my design.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

MORE

28 minutes ago, Beck said:

There is an error in your rear steering axle that should be addressed. The hub acts more like a caster attached to a rack. The wheel axis should be on the same line of studs as the pivot. Also I would If you want the open side of the wheel to face outwards, I would not use the technic hub piece but this part. I would caution you against placing all of your beams hole upwards as it is not the most structurally sound building technique. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to start with a sturdy base for a build such as this.

Here are some of my leafsprings that I've used in a few builds. The picture one is a modification of Italianbrick's design, the second is my design.

Hi beck, and thank you for your comment.  The steering that is shown in the previous pictures and the following pictures are just a mock-up to show you that the rear axle will have steering capabilities.  I know it is wrong, but thank you for point it out! As I have said before, the axle will be redone for suspension down the road.  

As for leaf springs, I may have to try building those and see if it will work or not.  ould you mind if I try reverse engineering that to rebuild it? If you have an LDD file of it, that would be very cool, but if not I can try to recreate it myself.  It looks like it just might work.  

Thanks beck for your comment

UPDATE:

Not a huge update, I had about 45 mins to build, so I took advantage of it, and how I am posting this.  I want to keep this build up-to-date whenever I build.  

I decided to get an idea of the chassis size. NOTE; nothing is final in the pictures, a lot of it is just a place holder.  

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

The wheels are positioned how they would be, the outriggers are in the general location.  It is obvious that the outriggers are way too big, but do you think it matters?  I think that they need to redone and dramatically thinner so that the build is closer to scale.  

Tell me what you think.  

50 minutes ago, aminnich said:

If you have an LDD file of it, that would be very cool, but if not I can try to recreate it myself.

I have a half finished LXF for the chassis, so if you want to wait a day or two I can finish it.

I think that they need to redone and dramatically thinner so that the build is closer to scale.

I would consider using pneumatics just for the actual actuator on the outrigger, which would make it much smaller. Besides, you will have the space to add an autovalve in your trailer.

Edited by Beck

24 minutes ago, Beck said:

I have a half finished LXF for the chassis, so if you want to wait a day or two I can finish it.

I would consider using pneumatics just for the actual actuator on the outrigger, which would make it much smaller. Besides, you will have the space to add an autovalve in your trailer.

1. awesome, that would be very helpful. No rush on getting it done.  

2. I was originally thinking to use pneumatics for the up/down of the outriggers for the same reasons you mentioned.  The problem is that I only have 2 pumps and if I am going to using pneumatics for the stabilizers, then I cannot use them for the lifting of the boom and tilting the cabin on the superstructure.  I guess I either have to use LAs on top or go to brinklink.com/take-all-my-money-away-from-me.  I spend too much on LEGO monthly haha 

Sorry for all the posts, next week I have exams so I will not have as much time to work on this project.  

An idea crossed my mind in Chem class today and I quick made it in between classes in LDD, here are some screenshots.  Tell me what you think.  I basically turned the gear racks upside down... 

640x361.jpg

640x418.jpg

yellow axle connector is for in/out the purple is for up/down.  A lot thinner than the one I have build now, but does the same thing.  

that design looks great! I like how the outriggers would function, but what would keep the end of the actuator from just spinning in place?

1 hour ago, M5Technic said:

that design looks great! I like how the outriggers would function, but what would keep the end of the actuator from just spinning in place?

I did not quite get to finish the actually stabilizer before my next class started, but I figures I could post and see what you guys thought of it.  I will try to build it tonight and see if it works as good as it looks, IMO.  

Thanks for the reply M5Technic 

Edited by aminnich
typo