Capt Wolf

[OCT] Annual OCTOBERFEST Mini-challenge -WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Last year at this time tensions were running high in the Brick Seas, but this year there is much to celebrate. There is peace across the seas, and trade and adventure are resuming in earnest. There has even been the crowning of a soccer champion. What better way to celebrate than to pay a visit to the Weelond Octoberfest!

oktoberfest_2017_centerpiece_480x600.jpg

Weelond’s annual Octoberfest celebration features food and drink, games and amusements, traditional/historical costumes, food and drink (did we mention food and drink?), and more. So regardless of where you’re from, come to Weelond and have some fun!

Rules:

Your entry should be at least 16x16 and showcase an activity at the Weelond Octoberfest. This can be a pub scene, a brewer or vendor at work or hosting visitors, stage performances, contests of skill, festivities on the market green, or whatever you can imagine, as long as the build is licensable as a property and pertains to the Weelond Octoberfest.

You do not have to license your property, but the city of Weelond encourages you to do so. If you don’t participate in the EGS, you can also donate the property for the settlement to license if you wish.

In addition to posting your entry in the forum (ideally with an [OCT] tag in the title), please post a link to your build in this thread and in the Weelond settlement thread. Entries must be posted by October 29. EDIT: Deadline extended to October 31.

Prizes:

Each entry will receive 25DBs, and you can enter as many times as you want. Entries will be judged in two categories: best story or character, and best build. Winners in each category will receive 300DBs, second place 200DBs, and third place 100DBs. An additional 50DBs will be awarded to the build that best exemplifies the architectural style of Weelond. Prizes will be awarded in November.

As I am new to this - I wil get my introduction up today or tomorrow, I promise - I have a few questions. As I understand it, I can build pretty much anything that fits into the "Oktoberfest meets 18th century meets Pirates of the Carribean" theme, correct? But what does...

25 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

as long as the build is licensable as a property

... mean exactly? A list of what is and what is not acceptable would be appreciated.

Just now, Drunknok said:

As I understand it, I can build pretty much anything that fits into the "Oktoberfest meets 18th century meets Pirates of the Carribean" theme, correct?

Yep, pretty much!

Just now, Drunknok said:

But what does...

43 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

as long as the build is licensable as a property

... mean exactly? A list of what is and what is not acceptable would be appreciated.

See the properties listed and described here:

The main property types being Artisans, Factories, Commerce, Residences, Art & Culture, and Educational. Plantations and Mines would also count. (But no Forts, please!) For example, a pub would be an artisan property, a brewery would be a factory, a marketplace would be commerce, a library would be education, and so on.

Thanks, that did clear some (not all) of my confusion. Since licensing comes with a cost, as a starter I would be restricted to one entry (of the 25DB/month categories) or 5 small residencies, aye?

Are there any benefits, apart from internet fame,  if I "just build stuff"?

30 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Since licensing comes with a cost, as a starter I would be restricted to one entry (of the 25DB/month categories) or 5 small residencies, aye?

As a beginner, you get one free small property license. You can license up to 3 properties of any type or size per month. Note that since a small property costs 25DBs to license (or 5DBs if a residence), the entry reward of 25DBs will cover the licensing cost. Also, you don't have to license a property immediately when you build it; you could wait a month to license it. And if you're short on DBs as a new player, I can pay out the 25DBs for an entry immediately rather than waiting until November if that would help you.

31 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Not specifically. Your builds would become part of whatever settlement you build them in, and you'd be contributing to the history and lore of the game. There are players who don't participate in the economic portion of the game (EGS), and that's fine. And if you decide to participate in the EGS later, that's fine too.

2 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Well, it depends on how you want to play the game. If you want to get into it, and join EGS, that's great! If you want to just make stuff for a faction, that's fine to. I would recommend joining EGS, because it's actually pretty easy to get down, and it allows you to set participation goals each month. 

As for internet fame, well good luck with that. We're a really supportive community, but we're a small one. That being said, Our resident @Ayrlego has been on The Brothers Brick a few times. 

8 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Thanks, that did clear some (not all) of my confusion. Since licensing comes with a cost, as a starter I would be restricted to one entry (of the 25DB/month categories) or 5 small residencies, aye?

I wouldn't give too much thought about this, actually. Just build decent MOCs and you will be absolutely fine!
1. "Licensable" means that the MOC must meet the criteria for being licensed by someone, at some point. Not neccessarly you, not neccessarily now.
2. The criteria are very soft. You won't be able to license a green baseplate with three plants and two minifigs on it, sure. But add some fences, a small statue, a path - and voila, it will be licensable as "Art & Culture", or even as "educational" if you call it a botanical garden. See Capt Wolf [url=https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/154750-memorial-to-maurice-of-greene-prince-of-brickwall/]most recent MOC[/url] a prime example of a how little a MOC needs to be "licensable" (and noone will ever complain, because it is of good quality).
3. Many MOCs could be licensed in several categories, it's at least partially the builder's choice. Just stay within reason. (A small house might be a residence, a tavern, or an artisan's workshop; but most likely neither a factory nor a cultural property)
4. Also keep in mind: This is a game for the players to have fun, so rules are often more of a guideline, or to prevent powergamers from exaggerating. Rules are not there to prevent you from having fun.
What I want to say: Just build a good MOC and you will be absolutely fine!

Regarding money: Once you have signed up and posted your first BoBS-MOC, just send me a quick message and I will send you 50 DBs to help you get started quicker (no worries, 50 DBs really does not matter much for me anymore).

I can't seem to figure out what the build style is for Weelond. Is there a page written somewhere saying what builds should look like, or do I just go off of previous MOCs?

21 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

I can't seem to figure out what the build style is for Weelond. Is there a page written somewhere saying what builds should look like, or do I just go off of previous MOCs?

Generally Weelond is supposed to have a Dutch feel. The warehouse, market, cordwainer's residence, investment exchange, and insurance company are good examples, but anything that looks like it belongs in New Amsterdam / New York of the late 1600s / early 1700s would hit the mark.

I wonder if there is in-universe background for the Oktoberfest?

Of course the reference is with the Bavarian (not German!) festivity known as Oktoberfest, but why is it part of the BotBS? There must be a nation/region/town where this version of the Oktoberfest originated, and I... would like to know more.

3 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Of course the reference is with the Bavarian (not German!) festivity known as Oktoberfest, but why is it part of the BotBS? There must be a nation/region/town where this version of the Oktoberfest originated, and I... would like to know more.

Eslandolans like to party with all the money they got from trade :P

Just now, Spud The Viking said:

Do I have to register a build as one of my three monthly freebuilds for this event or are they counted separately?

You can have as many freebuilds as you want, you can only license up to 3 land properties per month.

2 hours ago, Spud The Viking said:

Do I have to register a build as one of my three monthly freebuilds for this event or are they counted separately?

When registering minichallenge builds, you should select that they are such on the form rather than the normal freebuild. But as already stated you can build as many builds as you want in a month but only license three.

37 minutes ago, SilentWolf said:

When registering minichallenge builds, you should select that they are such on the form rather than the normal freebuild. But as already stated you can build as many builds as you want in a month but only license three.

License 3 land properties. You can technically license as many ships as you want to.

7 hours ago, Drunknok said:

3 hours ago, Legostone said:

Eslandolans like to party with all the money they got from trade :P

Legostone's answer is as good as any. The out-of-character answer is that, in the first year of BoBS I was mayor of Weelond, Bardo had just had a music festival minichallenge, I had just built and licensed a brewery as a small factory, and it was almost October, so it just made sense to host an Oktoberfest challenge. If an entry in this year's challenge includes some in-universe background on why Weelond or Eslandola celebrate Oktoberfest, that would be great!

Just a reminder that there's still a week left to enter the Weelond Octoberfest! Entries accepted through October 29th.