STARHAWK

[MOC] Elves - Raganas black dragon

Hi finally i can present my latest Elves MOC. As i felt that Ragana needs a dragon when all the other elves have one, i decided to build one matching her colors.
Its a black/magenta color scheme with a mix of that strange green (am lazy to find the right name)

Her name could be:
Ashtari, mother of Ashwing

Base of this build is the White Dragon body recolored in black and customized at the bottom, prolonged by 2 studs. Then rear legs are from Ashwing and front legs custom. Head of course Ashwing, the only thinkable head for an evil dragon currently.
Instead of just a seat i have given Ragana a throne :)

I had to open both Ashwing set i got in 50% discount to build this dragon (due to the black claws only from this set and there was no time for BrickLink order - dragon was built for exhibition) and as a side project i also built a little Ashwings brother or sister.
Luckily there are small green wings from Farans dragon as i found out during build, that the original wings are too big for the Water dragon, but the green color is still fitting good.

Funny thing with the build was that i found out that White dragons head mold is bigger that all others (i dont own this set yet), so the dragon looks a bit strange with the big body and smaller head, but someone told me that it looks more realistic in proportions for a dragon - anyway i cant do anything about it as there is no other color for the big head.

Sorry for the low quality pictures, was photographed during night when kidz are sleeping :)

BrickShelf galery

Raganas_dragon_2_small.jpg

Edited by STARHAWK
Uploaded pictures

Just now, zero1312 said:

Ummm, what pictures?

Sorry, forgot that i can only put 0.1MB of pictures here. Pictures loaded on BrickShelf so it will take some time for them to be published. Added at least one small pic.

And it can be spotted also in this viedo (the moc diorama is not mine):

Edited by STARHAWK

22 hours ago, Ragana9289 said:

"This folder is not yet public."

Just to let you know, folder is public now.

I really like the design, the dragon looks a lot more muscular than the usual Elves dragons, especially with the added width and broader legs. I think that is why the head looks small, though--it's because the rest of the dragon is so bulked up. It doesn't look bad, just differently proportioned than what we usually see. Overall, I quite like it. :thumbup:

It's great that he have bindable elbows in front legs! I love that idea, once I want to try to rebuild some of regular dragons that way too. And it's nice to see dark dragon in elves style, espesially with that type of claws :)

On 10/8/2017 at 3:14 AM, Marishka said:

It's great that he have bindable elbows in front legs! I love that idea, once I want to try to rebuild some of regular dragons that way too. And it's nice to see dark dragon in elves style, espesially with that type of claws :)

Yes, flexible elbows was a must for this dragon as my idea was to make the front legs longer. Thus now he can do some more poses. On small dragons like the water/blue one this is absolutely ok, but the bigger dragons are totally suffering from the lack of elbows. I also plan to modify them (the bigger ones), just a couple of days ago i finally purchased Elandra and im not happy with her legs and also feet - too thick. I dont have all the dragons opened, currently missing only Fire dragon / Azari,i own now all the others but build is only Blue/Naida, Elandra, Ashwing and Saphire (since yesterday :) ) other are still in MISB.

Black color was a necessary choice. Wanted to reflect Raganas color scheme. Originally thought about Black/purple but when then i decided for the magenta instead of purple as it suits Ragana better and there were parts available in this collor needed for the under bally.

For the claws, i wanted to make a bad megablocks dragon like Ashwing (which is my favorite from all the set dragons) and i wanted also to have a gimick that he could hold something in his hand. With that claw configuration its possible to hold a minidool

On 12.10.2017 at 12:02 AM, STARHAWK said:

Yes, flexible elbows was a must for this dragon as my idea was to make the front legs longer. Thus now he can do some more poses. On small dragons like the water/blue one this is absolutely ok, but the bigger dragons are totally suffering from the lack of elbows. I also plan to modify them (the bigger ones), just a couple of days ago i finally purchased Elandra and im not happy with her legs and also feet - too thick. I dont have all the dragons opened, currently missing only Fire dragon / Azari,i own now all the others but build is only Blue/Naida, Elandra, Ashwing and Saphire (since yesterday :) ) other are still in MISB.

Oh, I have same idea to make that with Elandra, I even have Wu's dragon who have similar color schemes, but I can't force myself to deconstruct them :( They are too nice =)) Also I like when some brick-builded parts combines with bionicle types, like Ashwing has. 

Edited by Marishka

Nice dragon, I like the smaller head proportions. 

On 21/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, jlassen said:

I think "bad Guy" dragons are not supposed to have front arms. Just rear Legs, right?

If its front 'hands' are in the wings and it has no front legs then it is a wyvern, technically the skyrim dragons and the movie Smuag are wyverns.
The 3rd from the left dragon in my sig is also a wyvern.

Edited by Agent Kallus

On 11/21/2017 at 9:05 PM, jlassen said:

I think "bad Guy" dragons are not supposed to have front arms. Just rear Legs, right?

Well, currently there is just one "bad" dragon. So there is no rule for it.

I tried to leave the front arms, but then i needed to do the wing-arms more flexible and so on.

I like it to have strong intimidating front arms :)

And this is the mother, so maybe father was a wyvern (explanation above) and the result Ashwing is then after father.

Btw which of the elves dragons are actually male ?