Hi everybody,

I know I am a little bit late for a WIP-Topic in the TC12-contest. Be sure this is not a matter of tactics - I just did not know if I can handle this crazy little thing I called "Highflyer". Until yesterday evening: the first test run was successful :classic:

Ok, let me show you some pics:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

And what is the wacky function?

Please be patiently. Lets have a look at some nice details:

What looks a little bit like a 4-cylinder-V-engine is the compressor for the pneumatic functions.

800x600.jpg

The steering wheel is not only working - it is also hight-adjustable (what is this strange thing between the seats? The flux capacitor?)

800x600.jpg

Steering wheel and seats can be moved forward and also the roof panels can be tilt up to have fully access to the technic section including the two battery boxes.

800x600.jpg

Ok, but what is the wacky function??? 

Hm, let me give you a hint: yellow seems to be a very wacky color ...

Some more details:

This single spoked rims are a result of a special need of my concept: I needed motors inside the rims. Unfortunately there are no Lego rims that can fulfill this condition. Even the Porsche rims do not fit - so I decided do design my own rims. Surprisingly they work well. 

800x600.jpg

The rims take away only one stud in width and as a result the four L-motors are almost hidden inside the wheels.

800x600.jpg

Did I mention that this baby is completely RC? Of course it is and here you can see the controller:

800x600.jpg

Finally -  what is the wacky function ?????

Ok, I've been straining you too long. And here it is:

800x600.jpg

Oh wait, what happened? Is there really a flux capacitor inside and the vehicle disappeared into the space-time continuum? Don't worry, lets keep some distance:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Well this is the wackiest wacky function I could imagine. The Highflyer will pass (overtake) opponents in a unique way. And it can overcome obstacles if there are at least two small tracks left.

But it was so hard to make this work. There is a gazillion of power functions inside:

• 4 L-motors (drive)
  • 4 Extension cables (as the motor cables are not long enough in the wacky position)
  • 1 Servo (steering with working steering wheel)
  • 1 XL-motor (compressor)
  • 1 M-motor (moving the pneumatic valves)
  • 2 rechargeable battery boxes
  • 2 IR-receiver 
  • 4 pneumatic zylinder 2x11 for lifting the chassis
  • 4 pneumatic pumps in the compressor
  • 2 pneumatic valves

As you can imagine it was really difficult to make all this things fit into the car body. Sometimes I thought to call it "Tardis". For those who don't know "Dr. Who": the Tardis is a spaceship and the inside is bigger than the outside :laugh:

I will try make a video till the end of next week. But I need good weather as the "Highflyer" is quite to fast for indoor use. And there will be a LDD-file available. I just have to implement final changes.

Well, that's it for today. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Greetings

Leonard_Goldstein

Unique-looking, some interesting building styles and a great overall model... well done! I was thinking something along these lines, but never actually built it; it's just as well, yours is far wackier than mine could ever have been! How does the raising function get activated, is there a motor on the pneumatic valves? How quickly can it raise?

Hi ColletArrow,

thanks! Means a lot to me, as I am still a newbie.

There are two pneumatic circuits. Each consists of two pumps, a valve and two cylinders. The two valves are driven by an M-motor like you can see here (there is no pneumatics in the Ldd, so I had to replace the valve by some Liftarms and other pieces):

800x543.jpg

800x543.jpg

First I tried to activate the valves by a servo but the lego servo is not strong enough to handle two valves. And I tried to use a clutch gear - but this is also not strong enough. This solution works fine and the only disadvantage is that you have to take care of the limit positions (and not let the motor running when the start/end position is reached).

The raising speed is not that high (it is not fast enough for a suprise attack :laugh:). You will see it in the video next week.

Regards

Leonard_Goldstein

That was my original idea! I did not end up using it, but your interpretation is better, way better.

The level of wackiness of this vehicle is really, really HIGH. :D Can't wait to see the video. 

How does the steering work? like tank (or any tracked vehicle, or like conventional car?)

Edited by HorcikDesigns

Very unusual vehicle; it looks on the other hand as something out of this World or very futuristic :thumbup:

Just now, Superkoala said:

Me gusta.

Due to the friction of the tires i suppose you can't elevate the car if it is not driving ?

This of course depends on the ground material. On the fotos you see the vehicle on a glass surface and there the lifting mechanism works without driving. On other materials this might be different. But with only a little movement forward this is really no problem.

6 minutes ago, HorcikDesigns said:

The level of wackiness of this vehicle is really, really HIGH. :D Can't wait to see the video. 

How does the steering work? like tank (or any tracked vehicle, or like conventional car?)

Thanks! Well the lifting mechanism takes almost all the space between the wheels. There was absolutely no space left for suspension or anything other. So I decided to build a super simple steering with a single axle - similar to the 42030 (but without LAs).

Regards

Leonard_Goldstein

It seems that a number of members have thought along the lines of this idea.  Though as with the others, I also have to concede that your execution of the concept is far superior than anything I could come up with.  

I was trying to take inspiration from Professor Pat Pending's machine that had telescopic "legs" that raised him over trouble and other racers.  I'm glad to see that someone has managed to do justice to the idea.  Well done!! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Boulderer said:

It seems that a number of members have thought along the lines of this idea.  Though as with the others, I also have to concede that your execution of the concept is far superior than anything I could come up with.  

I was trying to take inspiration from Professor Pat Pending's machine that had telescopic "legs" that raised him over trouble and other racers.  I'm glad to see that someone has managed to do justice to the idea.  Well done!! :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! To cheer you up (and all others that worked on this idea): it was quite challenging for me and it was a long way of trial and error ...

I explained in the resent post some troubles concerning the valve activator or the special hub design. But at the very end of building a serious disaster occurred: 

640x233.jpg

Stopping the engines results in a great braking moment and the front wheel suspension bent backwards (red) in the wacky position - the deformation was so big that the vehicle almost flipped over. To solve this problem I changed the angle of the whole front part of the vehicle (the steering axle is still vertical) and now it works fine.

Of course this was not the only problem. The cable routing and the pneumatic tubes were very difficult, too. I really like the LDD to optimize the structure (most time I develop simultaneously in LDD and real life), but for this problem the LDD does not help at all. I wish all PF would work wireless - and pneumatics, too :laugh:

Regards

Leonard_Goldstein

How did I miss this?!?!!

This Is probably the wackiest vehicle I've seen so far! *oh2* And that lifting mechanism is great, and is very well hidden.

On 9/29/2017 at 8:27 PM, Leonard Goldstein said:

The Highflyer will pass (overtake) opponents in a unique way.

I actually planned to do the same thing with my tank, but because of the drive motors, I wasn't able to do it... You have done much better!

3 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

How did I miss this?!?!!

Same for me! This is rediculously cool! One of my favorite TC12 topics!

Hi Eurobricks,

its time for a little update. I made a first video :wink:

The weather was fine and I went to Twin Pines Mall in the lunch break. But the weather was to fine: sunlight was interrupting the IR connection to the car and I almost crashed into a barn. So I decided to come back later that night. Now the connection worked much better but the video is a little bit gloomy. 

Have a look: http://dai.ly/x637rzr

Greetings

Leonard Goldstein

57 minutes ago, Leonard Goldstein said:

Twin Pines Mall

Did your car leave smoke trails?!

(Back to the future)

8 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

Did your car leave smoke trails?!

(Back to the future)

:grin::grin::grin: That would be every Lego builders dream, wouldn't it? 

But even four L-motors do not reach the necessary 1.21 Gigawatt ...

6 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Awesome car! it looks like some sort of monster hot rod. Way cool function too, that would definitely help in a real race.  

Thanks! What I like most on this solution: it is a peaceful one. It does not harm any opponents (besides disturbing their sunbath a little). Please do not misunderstand me: it's just a game, no need to take this to serious. But I don't like building guns or something like that.

I planed to make a video in a better quality (with some more daylight). But it started raining around here. So this will be a project for next week.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

10 hours ago, Leonard Goldstein said:

Cool video! Can the vehicle ride and expand / collapse at the same time? You appear to have cut the video where it collapses. I can imagine it will come apart when it folds in while the vehicle is not moving, or is that not the reason for the video cut?

Edited by Didumos69

Just now, Didumos69 said:

Cool video! Can the vehicle ride and expand / collapse ate the same time? You appear to have cut the video where it collapses. I can imagine it will come apart when it folds in while the vehicle is not moving, or is that not the reason for the video cut?

Hi Didomos69,

yes, the vehicle can collapse while riding. In fact on an asphalt surface there is to much friction to collapse completely without riding ...

During the video I moved a little forward/backward what did not look so nice - so I decided to cut this. I try to do better next time.

By the way: the biggest problem of collapsing the car were the pneumatic tubes. They like to slip into the scissors and block the mechanism before the "normal" position is reached.

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

4 hours ago, Leonard Goldstein said:

:grin::grin::grin: That would be every Lego builders dream, wouldn't it? 

But even four L-motors do not reach the necessary 1.21 gigawatt ...

For me, yes. I will locate the nearest powerplant...

Hi Eurobricks,

I made some very little changes to the compressor to improve stiffness (and hopefully the output of air) and now the "Highflyer" feels finished to me. So I decided to share the LDD-File:

https://bricksafe.com/files/Leonard_Goldstein/tc12_leonard-goldstein_highflyer/TC12_Highflyer_by_Leonard_Goldstein.lxf

800x545.jpg

800x545.jpg

Some notes for you if you want to copy this:

• LDD doesn't know pneumatics. All pneumatic parts are replaced by "space holders". These are arranged in a separate group and can easily be deleted (if you want to generate part lists).
  • LDD does not accept the special rims inside the tires. They are placed beside the wheels.
  • Get prepared for a great challenge of cable and pipe routing ...

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

2 minutes ago, amillson said:

The Highflyer is very cool and original. It would be great to see a video of it in action.

Here in the quote.

On 10/4/2017 at 4:28 PM, Leonard Goldstein said:

As a fan I made a few renders of this very cool model (click to enlarge).

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69