FTG Prime

[MOC] YT-2001 - S 04 Light Freighter "Night Shadow"

Hello everyone,

When the Rebrick contest was announced i was very excited to enter, more so because you get to design your own YT design, a day or so after the contest went up i started drawing my concepts.

(WARNING !!: Creppy drawings incoming !)

37322089852_6696305132.jpg

As you can see the final design it's basiclly a rotated Falcon design, the docking tube is now on the back, instead of having two it has one with the cockpit on it, i moved the engines and added two more and so on. Now i had to build it... and that's were the fun began ! So i proudly present you *drums play* the Night Shadow.

37321705402_d43c812f09_b.jpg

And here's a crappy description of it:

Equipped with a dual new generation SRB45 sublight engine & 2 ion engines: "She's so fast you won't be able to see her shadow". With heavy canons and turrets she has more that your avarage light freighter.

Here are some fun facts about the model

-This build was heavily inspired by the brilliant new UCS Falcon and Marshall Banana's legendary MOC, since they're the ultimate renditions of the YT-1300 in my opinion, it only made sense to me to base this model after those, plus it gives it the messy Corellian Freighter look i was going for.

- I went for a UCS/minifig scale to add as much detail as possible.

-I came up with the design after 3 attemps (as seen on the drawings), it was inspired by the YV-560, YT-1300, YT-2400, The Phantom and a hamburger.

-The model (YT-2001) and it's service tag (S-04) are a reference to the birth date and name of someone really important to me

-I wanted to give it the kitbashed look that the Falcon has, since they used that technique on the actual prop, i used a variety of pieces for this, from tiles to minifig accesories, have fun looking at the greebling !
-It took me about 3 weeks to finish this ship, from the concept art to the final renders.

-This model has 3980 pieces and was built on LDD and rendered on Bluerender (since i didn't have the money to build this).

-This model is ment to be in scale with minifigs & the new UCS Falcon.

Here are some extra pictures of it:

36682196583_eef863f646_b.jpg

37321686542_2baea855cb_b.jpg

36642560504_4ece272af7_b.jpg

36642545124_35b0e42e8d_b.jpg

So there ya go ! I hope you all like it, if you do or don't please leave your thoughts ! I am more than happy to recieve feedback.

Here's the Rebrick entry in case you wanna take a look at this and the rest of the awesome entries: https://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/view-entry?c_id={D9DDC962-F589-417F-AE7A-3F6807969D67}&a_id=8da905d9-ba0d-421d-87d7-bb759d48c8ae

May the force be with you !

-Prime

Hi FTG,

I saw that you added me to your pictures on Flickr, sorry for not responding over there! I had also noticed your build on Rebrick and I really liked it.

The cockpit is another interesting approach to the whole thing and I really like the little interior you created there. I'm not too sure most crews would fancy the single docking ring at the back though, as it makes a quick getaway a rather hot experience.. :D also it would leave some pretty nasty scorching on any ship the Night Shadow docks to. :P (Sorry, I'm being really mean competition here..:D)

The only thing I would have liked to see is some more interior detail. I know, that's asking a lot considering this is a digital build with some complicated angles and a complex frame but that's always what makes a spaceship perfect to me.

I really like the overall appearance of the ship though. It just looks very finished and smooth and the flat profile makes for an interesting side view, too.

Wishing you the best of luck in to contest (at least in the run for second place.. :P) No, seriously, hope the judges like your model just as much as I do! :)

Cheers, Kit

EDIT: Oh and there is no such thing as crappy sketches! As long as they help you visualize your ideas they have served their purpose and a sketch is nothing more than that! I am glad you included a picture of them, they really show your thought process without a single written word neccessary.

Edited by Kit Bricksto

On 28/9/2017 at 7:22 PM, LegoRacer1 said:

Speechless.:wub:

Thanks man ! :D

18 hours ago, roadstermatt said:

I Love this ship looks great nice work

Thank you dude glad you like it !

7 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Hi FTG,

I saw that you added me to your pictures on Flickr, sorry for not responding over there! I had also noticed your build on Rebrick and I really liked it.

The cockpit is another interesting approach to the whole thing and I really like the little interior you created there. I'm not too sure most crews would fancy the single docking ring at the back though, as it makes a quick getaway a rather hot experience.. :D also it would leave some pretty nasty scorching on any ship the Night Shadow docks to. :P (Sorry, I'm being really mean competition here..:D)

The only thing I would have liked to see is some more interior detail. I know, that's asking a lot considering this is a digital build with some complicated angles and a complex frame but that's always what makes a spaceship perfect to me.

I really like the overall appearance of the ship though. It just looks very finished and smooth and the flat profile makes for an interesting side view, too.

Wishing you the best of luck in to contest (at least in the run for second place.. :P) No, seriously, hope the judges like your model just as much as I do! :)

Cheers, Kit

EDIT: Oh and there is no such thing as crappy sketches! As long as they help you visualize your ideas they have served their purpose and a sketch is nothing more than that! I am glad you included a picture of them, they really show your thought process without a single written word neccessary.

Hey Kit

No worries man i'm glad you were atleast able to see it since you are one of my fav builders i wanted you to see it, and yeah it's kinda a design flaw to have only one docking tube xD

I actually tought of giving it a full interior at some point, i ultimately decided against it since it would've been rushed and not entirely the way i would want it to be, plus i tried to focus on the outside look and overall estructure, but hey i may come back to this some day !

And good luck on running for 3rd place ;) JK i seriously hope you win something man ! You totally deserve it ! In the best case scenario maybe we'll both win something !

Edited by FTG Prime

On 30/9/2017 at 11:22 AM, Veynom said:

Very nice design. Original and so YT-esque at the same time.

Well thank you man ! I'm glad you like it ! I was going for that goal while building it and it seems it sucedeed :)