Sunder

[MOC] RSS Korolev

– Why have I chosen RSS Korolev? Every captain wants such ship. Fast. Huge. Convenient. Never mind, I m just joking. Someone else would say something about a new frontier and a spirit of discovery. As for me, it s just a new experience. You know, if you are captain, it s almost impossible to find anything except cargo ship. Or a liner for the lucky ones. It s not bad, but those routine delivery missions are too identical. Fly somewhere, take cargo, go back, repeat. This research voyage is completely different. Much more responsibility. There are larger cargo ships, but the crew is always low, a couple of dozens at the biggest ones. And all of them are captain s subordinates. Captain is a god on his ship. Here… everything is different. Hundreds of scientists are not just passengers. I have to change course if some astronomer finds some unusual star or if a biologist decides to scan particular planet for life. It s a bit annoying. Some more conservative person could find such situation real headache. But I don t want to return to the freighters. 

– They can say everything they want, but NavSystems was a general sponsor of this mission. So our aim is establishing new hyperspace routes and correcting old ones. Most expansive and complicated equipment of this ship are all kinds of hyperspace scanners. Laying a new route isn t a simple task. You have to keep in mind many factors to make it fast, reliable, safe, economic. And profitable for company. Days, when ship had to have huge powerful expansive computer onboard to calculate hyperjump, are gone. Companies like NavSystem provide access to their servers to make calculations as simple as it possible. Global hyperspace beacon network collects all necessary data; servers process it and give all parameters of a jump for a fair payment. This entire infrastructure has high running cost, so we can t do it for free.

– Those bastards from the “navigators guild” think they are masters here. But most of them don t even understand that their precious hyperroutes are useless if nobody wants to use them. Every journey needs a reason. The most common and obvious one is valuable resource deposit. Humanity needs more resources for further expansion. That s why we should check every possible planet, moon or asteroid belt. Moreover, every planet is unique and can tell scientists something new and may be important. We ve already done several discoveries. But “navigators” always hurry us up if they find star system useless for them. We must do something.

– This expedition has already given us good results. We collected tons of information and statistics. It will help for new colonists a lot. Some people hope we can find one more earth-like planet. It will be a great success. However, we checked thousands of planets and none of them is suitable for human without any special equipment. We even found some samples of life, but it were just bacteria and a couple of simplest seaweeds. Space is a dead place. I hope we can change this in future.

36657820604_eaa0a7db94_k.jpg

36657818744_9ea1d8ac06_k.jpg

23514941558_4be844e28d_k.jpg

37110192880_ea94724142_k.jpg

36657817934_0cbcb4d3e5_b.jpg

36657814674_2c7ec5c81a_b.jpg

37319423446_4638a269ee_b.jpg

37336714362_8a55fa3e8d_b.jpg

36657814904_2f967aeb6d_b.jpg

37110193240_13e429540d_b.jpg

36657816574_a297f95dc1_b.jpg

37336715692_f0f9d6c5b8_b.jpg

36657816884_0531f4a708_b.jpg

37319422136_b9d51608ba_b.jpg

36657817464_9d1751e498_b.jpg

RSS Korolev by Sunder_59, on Flickr

Edited by Sunder

The ship looks - sincerely beautiful.

Much more importantly - the story is very compelling. Or better fascinating.

Is it possible to sign up to join you on your journey? I'd love to be part of it ...

Best
Thorsten 

That is a great big beast of a ship. Tons of well thought out details. Love that it feels both sci-fi but also like a futuristic interpretation of a modern cargo ship. Really love the hangar and whole bridge area.

I love how it's not symmetrical. First thing that came to mind when I saw it is that it would be a great stand in for the Flying Dutchmen and it's merry band of pirates (Expeditionary Force). This is the kind of ship a smart assed tin can could call home.