Puvel

[ETTC Cocoa Factory] Drying Stage

ETTC Cocoa Factory Collaboration

Stage One: Fermentation - Ayrlego

Stage Two: Drying - Puvel

Stage Three: Roasting - SilentWolf

Stage Four: Grinding and Pressing - Bregir

To the esteemed Colonial Governor Jonathan Cooke,

We hereby send the requested rapport of our efforts in the drying section of the cocoa plant.

As you know, the second stage in the cocoa production is drying. The beans should be dried after fermentation in order to reduce the moisture content from about 60% to about 7.5%. However, this isn't as simple as it sounds. It must be done carefully to ensure that off-flavours are not developed.  Therefore the beans are spread out evenly in the the sun. They are regularly raked to ensure the drying area is evenly distributed. With adequate sunshine and little rainfall, sun drying takes about one week per batch. 

Please find enclosed a drawing of our plant:

37338483921_6a340aced7_c.jpg

Your humble servant, 
Andrew Vimes
Overseer of the King's Harbour drying facility

This concludes the ETTC Royal Cocoa factory builds (slightly behind schedule), hope you enjoyed them.
The footprint of this part is 3072 (48x64). 
Credit for the builders barracks goes to Ayrlego who kindly gave me permission to borrow his design.
When I was building the palm trees I looked at them from above, the pictures are from a lower angle and prove that I should find another way to attach the leaves. Ah well, I'm sure that's not the only thing that can be improved. 

Nicely done, Puvel, a worth build to set alongside of the others for this collab!  I'm really liking the addition of lime in the landscaping - definitely a bold move - and the cocoa beans out to dry are great as well! :thumbup:  While I agree about the palm tree tops (yep, I have the same problem with angles sometimes!  Can be tricky to remember exactly what the camara angle's going to look like!), the trunks are fantastic, and the carriage and building are also neatly executed.  A well-done scene! :classic:

Nice work Puvel! It fits so well with the other builds and completes the cocoa process. The lime was indeed a bold move, one I think you have used before and it works nicely in this scene. I've experimented several times but never seem to be able to pull it off! I like the hats the workers are wearing, nice use of that part and the bulky looking carriage is nice as well. I think the palm trees worked out ok, at first I thought the cheese slopes were a bit block-like, but on looking closer I released that they work quite well. I probably wouldn't have noticed the the leave connections if you hadn't pointed them out! Great job all round!

Great collaboration guys - a pleasure working with you all!

@Puvel, you have done a great job on this stage of the project. I like the drying racks that you designed and the various barrels and buckets you have placed about ready to be loaded. (Double stacking the large ones was a nice touch to show they were waiting to be used.) As already mentioned, the colors you used worked out very well. The palm tree stalks look great and the alternating angles of each brick helps keep it looking round. Once you master the top, they will be exceptional. I really like how this build works together with the other builds, including the usage of the larger wagon. Great job and look forward to future collaborations. 

An excellent addition to the cocoa factory endeavor, I like the use of lime green on the floor and for the palm trees too!  Very nice cart also, and the building fits perfectly with the others of this collab!

2 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

I like the palm trees very much !! The small slopes works very well for the trunks !!

I have to agree.  Those palm trees are inspired.  But the overall build clearly demonstrates the industrial action been taken and is well constructed, and you should be commended.  Nice job.

On 27/9/2017 at 12:43 AM, Garmadon said:

Nicely done, Puvel, a worth build to set alongside of the others for this collab!  I'm really liking the addition of lime in the landscaping - definitely a bold move - and the cocoa beans out to dry are great as well! :thumbup:  While I agree about the palm tree tops (yep, I have the same problem with angles sometimes!  Can be tricky to remember exactly what the camara angle's going to look like!), the trunks are fantastic, and the carriage and building are also neatly executed.  A well-done scene! :classic:

Thanks Garmadon! 

Had to add some kind of colour to the grass, would have been a big sea of 'normal' green otherwise!

On 27/9/2017 at 3:34 AM, Ayrlego said:

Nice work Puvel! It fits so well with the other builds and completes the cocoa process. The lime was indeed a bold move, one I think you have used before and it works nicely in this scene. I've experimented several times but never seem to be able to pull it off! I like the hats the workers are wearing, nice use of that part and the bulky looking carriage is nice as well. I think the palm trees worked out ok, at first I thought the cheese slopes were a bit block-like, but on looking closer I released that they work quite well. I probably wouldn't have noticed the the leave connections if you hadn't pointed them out! Great job all round!

Great collaboration guys - a pleasure working with you all!

Thanks Ayrlego!

Bought those farmer hats ages ago because I needed pigs for previous builds, happy I finally got to use them.

On 27/9/2017 at 7:04 AM, SilentWolf said:

@Puvel, you have done a great job on this stage of the project. I like the drying racks that you designed and the various barrels and buckets you have placed about ready to be loaded. (Double stacking the large ones was a nice touch to show they were waiting to be used.) As already mentioned, the colors you used worked out very well. The palm tree stalks look great and the alternating angles of each brick helps keep it looking round. Once you master the top, they will be exceptional. I really like how this build works together with the other builds, including the usage of the larger wagon. Great job and look forward to future collaborations. 

Thanks SilentWolf!

The drying racks were my 3rd experiment so was happy these ones worked out. Adding the 'beans' involved some minor cursing of the gods as they rolled all over the place, yay for tiles! 

23 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

An excellent addition to the cocoa factory endeavor, I like the use of lime green on the floor and for the palm trees too!  Very nice cart also, and the building fits perfectly with the others of this collab!

Thanks Kai!

The building looks remarkably like Ayrlegos one so I'm happy it fits :D

2 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

I like the palm trees very much !! The small slopes works very well for the trunks !!

Thanks Professor!

Pretty sure I've seen those trunks used before but finally got my hands on a bunch of cheese slopes so wanted to try it out. Next time I'll have to work a bit more on the leaves though

25 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:

I have to agree.  Those palm trees are inspired.  But the overall build clearly demonstrates the industrial action been taken and is well constructed, and you should be commended.  Nice job.

Thanks Kwatchi!

Glad it looks industrial enough, wasn't sure on how to handle that at first

To Overseer Andrew Vimes,

I thank you most heartily for your report and hope I shall be able to visit the plant in the near future.

Should there be anything I can do to ensure the efficient operation of the plant, please do not hesitate to let me know. I can at the very least offer manpower from the city, and will also happily consider any issues with infrastructure to facilitate your production.

As representative of the Crown I thank you for your efforts and wish you and the ETTC every fortune in your venture.

At your service

Captain Jno. Cooke, RN

Colonial Governor

Like Ayrlego, you managed to make a great build based on a simple process. Nice landscaping as always, and the palm trunks are really nice. The minifigs and posing are well-chosen, and the different barrels, sacks, etc. make the scene come alive!

Well done!

And for the sake of transparency for all, this will be licensed by the ETTC as a large factory, the rest of the factory collab already surpassing 10.000 studs.

A nice addition to the cocoa collab. The first thing that attires my attention is these trees, great way to reproduce them in bricks, I like the cart and the plates too.

An excellent addition to the cocoa factory! Others have beat me to the punch on praising this, but I must emphasize how much I like those tree trunks, and how good the drying racks turned out. Great job! :thumbup:

A well made MOC. I can't stop looking (with a "stealing" look) the palm trees, the building and the horse drawn cart :classic: