Ecclesiastes

70922 The Joker Manor

New here, so here goes my first post. I really hope Joker's tailcoat is made out of the new softer cloth material, and not the old stiff hard one like Alfred in 70909. It would be a shame to pay so much money for that set only to realize that we got nickeled and dimed on the figs. Though, honestly I still would buy the set regardless. 

3 hours ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

New here, so here goes my first post. I really hope Joker's tailcoat is made out of the new softer cloth material, and not the old stiff hard one like Alfred in 70909. It would be a shame to pay so much money for that set only to realize that we got nickeled and dimed on the figs. Though, honestly I still would buy the set regardless. 

Welcome to Eurobricks. I hope you have a great time here :)

8 hours ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Curious about the phrase "nickeled and dimed"... you seem to be assuming that the newer cape material is more expensive, and I've seen nothing to actually give me that impression? Mostly, I've seen the two materials used alternatively depending on the specific need, be it for a stiffer or a more flowing fabric. And I think the former probably better suits coattails, since it conforms to the shape of the figure better.

Anyway, welcome to Eurobricks!

Hmmmm, I've been looking closely at the pictures, and it doesn't look like the cars have wheels touching the track from underneath, which might affect how well the system might work in a bigger roller coaster by introducing friction if the cars ever come up a hill at a high enough speed. Hopefully if that's the case the issue is not too significant.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Curious about the phrase "nickeled and dimed"... you seem to be assuming that the newer cape material is more expensive, and I've seen nothing to actually give me that impression? Mostly, I've seen the two materials used alternatively depending on the specific need, be it for a stiffer or a more flowing fabric. And I think the former probably better suits coattails, since it conforms to the shape of the figure better.

Anyway, welcome to Eurobricks!

Perhaps you're right. The reason I get that impression, is because in a number of the polybags that have been mass produced, (30607 and 5004930 being the two that particularly come to mind) we ended up getting the annoyingly stiff material for the capes that limit playability to some degree. This is also true in the small sets featuring Joker with his long tailcoat. I, like you, agree that the former spongy material would indeed be better and that's why I'm hoping for it. And thanks, I'm really excited to be part of the community. :classic:

5 minutes ago, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

Perhaps you're right. The reason I get that impression, is because in a number of the polybags that have been mass produced, (30607 and 5004930 being the two that particularly come to mind) we ended up getting the annoyingly stiff material for the capes that limit playability to some degree. This is also true in the small sets featuring Joker with his long tailcoat. I, like you, agree that the former spongy material would indeed be better and that's why I'm hoping for it. And thanks, I'm really excited to be part of the community. :classic:

I think he meant the stiffer fabric works better, not the spongy material.

i like having the newer type capes for some things, like when character's need to be in vehicles or have long hair pieces, but I prefer the stiffer capes for display. And the newer material really wouldn't work on something on a minifigures waist, like coattails, it will protrude way too much.

Just now, Whovastron said:

i like having the newer type capes for some things, like when character's need to be in vehicles or have long hair pieces, but I prefer the stiffer capes for display. And the newer material really wouldn't work on something on a minifigures waist, like coattails, it will protrude way too much.

Fair enough. I'm just trying to imagine displaying Joker in a set like this if his cape was stiff. It would be really hard. But I agree, on the flip side, if it were the spongy material, it would protrude too much and look bad as well.    

Probably others have said this before, but high price may come from brand new rollecoaster pieces and all those fancy new decorations for the figs. Anyway, some months ago I thought that the Carousel was a "too" large of a middle-class set. 2500 seemed a bit too many pieces. Suddenly, it seems like bigger piece counts are the norm. I don't know how many of us are there to afford one/two large sets a year, but one of my two yearly picks will definitely not be this one. Fun to look at, but, when I buy a set, I'm in for the style., I'm in for a treat. I enjoy putting together something you can marvel and not only play with afterwards.

Maybe it's just my point of view, but it seems like D2Cs have parted ways. There's the stylish, well put together, sleek, well-proportioned and well-coloured models, such as the Modulars, the big scale cars (Mini, CamperVan...), the amusement rides, the Winter Village sets (with some exceptions there), the Star Wars UCSs and many many others along the years. Then there's other sets, which look like lost of good intentions thrown at a bowl, not surprisingly often them being sets that recreate bigger places in movies (Batcave, Assault on Hoth and now this).

6 hours ago, paupadros said:

Maybe it's just my point of view, but it seems like D2Cs have parted ways. There's the stylish, well put together, sleek, well-proportioned and well-coloured models, such as the Modulars, the big scale cars (Mini, CamperVan...), the amusement rides, the Winter Village sets (with some exceptions there), the Star Wars UCSs and many many others along the years. Then there's other sets, which look like lost of good intentions thrown at a bowl, not surprisingly often them being sets that recreate bigger places in movies (Batcave, Assault on Hoth and now this).

I could call those "the good D2Cs" and "the REALLY good D2Cs", respectively. ;)

Then again, I'm a fan of zanier themes in general, so I'm quite happy to see more and more large and complex sets that appeal to those interests. I also generally prefer a huge set with bunches of varied detail to ones with a lot of repetition—I'll take a Ninjago City over a Taj Mahal any day.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I also generally prefer a huge set with bunches of varied detail to ones with a lot of repetition—I'll take a Ninjago City over a Taj Mahal any day.

Totally. That's why I didn't include the Landmarks under the "brilliant D2Cs". I would also take a Ninjago City over Taj Mahal, or even Big Ben, but I'd take a modular over any of those.

You mentioned the others as the "Good D2Cs", I don't think there's anyone in this entire planet who thinks Assault on Hoth was even remotely decent ;)

19 hours ago, paupadros said:

Probably others have said this before, but high price may come from brand new rollecoaster pieces and all those fancy new decorations for the figs.

It... it has 3,444 pieces... That's about $0.07 per piece.

A set at its price should only have close to 2,700 pieces.

Instead it's bogged on for being too small, even though its 21 inches (55cm) tall, 25 inches (66cm) wide, and 10 inches (27cm) deep. That's not small. To give you perspective, The Big Ben expert set is less wide by nearly 8 inches (22cm) and taller only by 2 inches (5 cm).

Nothing about this set reflects a "high price." In fact, aside from maybe needing a couple more unique minifigs to whet the pallete, I'd say this set is nearly a steal.

Ninjago City has 1400 pieces more and costs just 30$/€ more. That has clearly a better price/piece ratio, but 7.8 cents/piece isn't too bad though for this set. Everything over 10 cents is basically a carnage to your wallet. I'm winking at you Minecraft and Architecture sets!

To me it's a good price per piece, but it's just a high overall price.  Yes, D2C sets are always high priced sets, I'm not denying that.

With this set in particular, I think most people wouldn't mind the price if it were simply Wayne Manor, but it becomes a high price when you think about the wasted parts for the Joker theme.  I'm fine with it, I'm not really that interested either way (although without the Joker pieces it would be an awesome parts pack for Castle).  Just making observations on people's reactions.

I honestly don't think they could do proper justice to Wayne Manor without it seemingly like just another play set. But I guess I'm a stickler for minifigure scale and it would have to be huuuuge. XD

12 hours ago, paupadros said:

Ninjago City has 1400 pieces more and costs just 30$/€ more. That has clearly a better price/piece ratio, but 7.8 cents/piece isn't too bad though for this set. Everything over 10 cents is basically a carnage to your wallet. I'm winking at you Minecraft and Architecture sets!

The Joker Manor is a licensed set, whereas NINJAGO City is not.

In licensed sets, LEGO has to buy the rights to use the name of every character under protection of copyright. This is aside from the fact that fancy molds cost more to make (rollercoaster, fun-house mirrors).

Copyright is also subject to landmarks, and logos tied to them (Architecture).

There's also the Mojang tax, where all Minecraft toys/media outside of the game are re-diculously overpriced due to how expensive Mojang puts the Minecraft name up for.

NINJAGO City is an absolute miracle that it's at that price and scale. It can't be compared to, and become the basis of all our expectations, as it's a rare, and very infrequent aligning of all the right things.

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, Penkid11 said:

It... it has 3,444 pieces... That's about $0.07 per piece.

A set at its price should only have close to 2,700 pieces.

Instead it's bogged on for being too small, even though its 21 inches (55cm) tall, 25 inches (66cm) wide, and 10 inches (27cm) deep. That's not small. To give you perspective, The Big Ben expert set is less wide by nearly 8 inches (22cm) and taller only by 2 inches (5 cm).

Nothing about this set reflects a "high price." In fact, aside from maybe needing a couple more unique minifigs to whet the pallete, I'd say this set is nearly a steal.

I couldn't agree more. When I heard everyone moaning, and complaining about the price, I got nervous. Then when I saw the set, realized the piece count, and also how big it is, at literally 2 feet wide, I didn't get what all the fuss was. Its a steal, especially if you go by piece count. The set is huge, is FULL of playability, looks great, has new features, and pieces, and finishes off the Batman movie line perfectly. I usually tend to buy 2 sets of the bigger sets, like Arkham and Batcave, and combine them into one even larger set. I do NOT think I will be doing that with this one. Not cause its bad, but because its so GOOD, and big enough, that I don't need to.

That all being said, the one place I am disappointed in, with this set, is the mini-figures. There is not really one mini-figure that I am in love with. They are pretty redundant, and in a few cases, exact replicas from other sets, which I already own. I would have preferred more exclusive villains, instead of a bunch of the same characters in white disco outfits, but it is what it is. I will still buy it, and I think its a GREAT deal, at a great price, for a great set, that I cant wait to get.

At first I was very much in the mindset of this definitely not being a set I would pick up due to the size and price. But I think this does have potential to go well with the other 'Joker'-themed playsets like Jokerland and the funhouse escape, which is what I use for my main Batman display. I'll wait to see how this set looks in the flesh when they have it on display in store.

When someone buys it, can they seperate all the Joker stuff from the Wayne Mansion - interested to see how it would look without all the extra's.