Sign in to follow this  
LucyCol

[TC12] [WIP] After you (Abandoned)

Finally manage to do some work on a possible entry to TC12, not sure if it'll get finished as build time is currently limited, but open to suggestions as to the concept.

As it's the 40th anniversary the idea is to build two models as similar as possible 1 built out of modern 'studless' Technic, the other out of original 'studded' Technic, the other stipulation I have is that I will only use parts that I own, no bricklinking additional pieces.  Any function on the new Technic half will have to be duplicated on the old Technic half.

The idea is for the new half to move and then stop and wait for the old half to catch and then push the new half forward.

37268624126_73fd52fb5b_b.jpgLRC_3629f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

The 'Studded Half' progress has been slow as I'm having to relearn how to build, think in 'even' numbers, and there was a lot less variety of parts available then.

36605465824_5dfcd7b7f1_b.jpgIMG_1095f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

'Old'half chassis

36606395884_f4d46f575c_b.jpgLRC_3622f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

With a flat 4 cylinder engine

37268624616_1db8cf7ba7_b.jpgLRC_3615f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

Overhead

37058873490_c108881ec2_b.jpgIMG_1097f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

New Half

37315031081_24056a82dd_b.jpgIMG_1096f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

Rear

37315031311_64fae1373b_b.jpgIMG_1101f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

Overhead with V12, cos why not :sweet:

36606395764_aed3fa4ab1_b.jpgLRC_3628f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

37268624126_73fd52fb5b_z.jpgLRC_3629f by Lucy R C, on Flickr

The two halves together, there is a lot of work to do yet, I need to work on the mechanism which will connect the two halves together as well impart the push-pull effect, getting it finished before the cut off date will be a push.

Note to Jim & Milan, this is the first time I've ever posted pictures so if I've got it all terribly wrong please be gentle.

very interesting concept and will be interesting to see working.

will it all be 'automated' i.e once its started it keeps going on its own? could be a lot of timing to get correct if I understand it right.

Very interesting concept, but are they going to be connected?

Because they would need to be...

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, Jim said:

9: Can I have two/three Wackies that drive together but can be separated to confuse/crush opponent?
No, it needs to be a single vehicle (see next question for exception).

10. Can my Wacky have a trailer?
Yes, you can have a trailer. As long as it is attached to your Wacky and not a separate vehicle.

7 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

very interesting concept and will be interesting to see working.

will it all be 'automated' i.e once its started it keeps going on its own? could be a lot of timing to get correct if I understand it right.

7 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

Very interesting concept, but are they going to be connected?

Because they would need to be...

Yes, the idea is that the two halves are connected, with the 'new' half helping the 'old' to get along, I've looked at pneumatics, power functions (had forgotten just how fast the old 9v motor turned), and sticking a load of gear racks to the top of a beam (there are some advantages to studded :classic:), its getting the timing right, and in the right sequence, that's proving difficult.

How about transferring power from new half to old half through use of a friction clutch?

There could be a wheel inside the old half with power coming to it from new half and another wheel say 2 studs in front of it, attached to powertrain of old half.When the new half moves 2 studs forward, the two wheels mesh and the old half moves.

I'm not sure if this makes sense but it could work...

Having not had the opportunity to work on this since the initial post, and with no foreseeable opportunities to build coming up i have abandon this project.

Good luck to all those that do enter, Lucy.