Sign in to follow this  
Carefree_Dude

Anyone have good suggestions for alternate santa fe super chief carriages?

I didn't see anything in the search, so i apologize if this has been covered before. I'm wanting to make some carriages for my santa fe super chief. The sets 10022 and 10025 are way too expensive now, and was wondering if there are any good alternate builds for these that don't cost nearly as much. I'm fine with using light bley instead of the old grey.

You just need to make some minor mods to the design. The really expensive bits will be the gray wheels and buffer beams, the gray doors, and the train baseplate.

So do the wheels in black. Do a plate built base instead of the train baseplate, I personally think light gray would look better than dark gray, but that is a personal matter. In The train bogie plate could be expensive in black and the current yellow (which also isn't cheap, but it is cheaper) would look odd from the side, so maybe replace those with turn tables and perhaps a tile or two for stability. If you like opening doors you could build doors in the style of the Emerald Night (instructions should be available from Lego.com). The 2x3 round curve bricks for the roof might also be expensive in quantity, but you could easily use 1x3x1 curved slopes or 2x4x0.66 curved slopes instead for the roof. The trans clear macaroni for the observation care will also be stupid expensive. There are a lot of potential alternate builds, but nothing that is simple that I can think of that captures the curved feeling.

If you don't have a huge part selection, sketch it out first in LDD or LDraw, while keeping an eye on part cost over at bricklink.

Happy building

An other suggestion for the roof:

If Lego Customer Service is available in your country, you can also order part No. 6081 in Light bluish grey there. That gives you the same shape of the roof as the original Santa Fe.

Interesting question by the way. I got a single Santa Fe unit Years ago, but never mananged to complete the hole Train due to the insane Prices. Would really like to see photos of your progress in building.

Good Luck

BrickMusher

I'm currently working on building the Santa Fe carriages (10022) in light bluish grey (have already completed the engine - 10020 - in LBG) and I am just waiting on the last couple of Bricklink orders to arrive.

I believe I have made significant savings by building in LBG as the parts in that color are more prevalent in Bricklink. I have also saved money by ordering enough parts for two carriages at the same time.

I am planning on posting my completed train on here once its built.

BTW, the stickers will be the trickiest part I believe.

8 hours ago, Younge said:

I'm currently working on building the Santa Fe carriages (10022) in light bluish grey (have already completed the engine - 10020 - in LBG) and I am just waiting on the last couple of Bricklink orders to arrive.

I believe I have made significant savings by building in LBG as the parts in that color are more prevalent in Bricklink. I have also saved money by ordering enough parts for two carriages at the same time.

I’m just getting the stickers from ministickers, far cheaper and look amazing.

12 hours ago, Younge said:

I'm excited to see your progress! How much roughly did you spend on the two carriages?

On 25/09/2017 at 10:36 PM, justinwebb said:

I’m just getting the stickers from ministickers, far cheaper and look amazing.

Yep, planning to do the same. The only issue I have is that some of the stickers - namely, the "SANTA FE" text stickers - are suited to light grey bricks. I would need to get some transparent stickers made up to get around this issue. I have sent ministickers an e-mail regarding this, but, haven't heard back from them.

On 26/09/2017 at 2:39 AM, Goldenmasamune said:

I'm excited to see your progress! How much roughly did you spend on the two carriages?

Good question! It's difficult to work out because of the various currencies involved, and also, there were some parts for other projects that I included in some of the orders.

Roughly, including postage, I would say it was about $US300. BTW, I have replaced the pearl light gray pieces (2877) in the original set with plain light bluish grey ones to save on costs. I may re-investigate this in the future though.

Edited by Younge
Fix typo's, etc.